Southeast Iowa Live.....Come Along for the 2022 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southeast Iowa Live.....Come Along for the 2022 Season

I just looked back at last year post and it started on October 20th. It's that time again!!! The leaves are turning beautiful colors. The last few morning have been frosty with temps in the upper 20s. Harvest is in full swing. Scrapes are showing up along field edges and in the timber. The pre-rut is in its early stages.

I haven't hunted at all yet. I bought my archery tags last Friday. I am going to start sitting in the evenings soon.

The only thing complicating matters is the fact that I spent about 4 hours in the Davis County Hospital Emergency Room yesterday morning. I had a scary episode early yesterday morning with my blood pressure and ended up in ER. I was pretty sure I was having a heart attack. Fortunately the EKG and bloodwork indicated that I did not have a heart attack and there was no damage to my heart. The Dr. adjusted my blood pressure medicine and scolded me on some of my lifestyle habits. I am scheduled for a echo stress test. I am going to have to take it easy and be careful, but as far as I am concerned the hunt will go on. Any prayers will be greatly appreciated.

I reviewed my journal from last year. During the 2021 season in 46 sits I saw 63 bucks and 106 does. In comparison during the 2020 season I saw 68 bucks and 78 does in 54 sits. Last year I tagged two bucks during archery season. One on my landowner tag on November 8th and one on my statewide tag on November 18th.

I really don't have a "target" buck.....yet, but things can change quickly as we head into November. I have some decent bucks on camera, but none to get overly excited about.

Despite what you see on TV and have heard, hunting Whitetail deer in Iowa is not easy. There is abundant food sources everywhere. A lot depends on crop rotation, harvest schedules....generally what the farmers are doing. You try to set up using the intel from scouting, game cams, observation at dawn and dusk, etc. You never really know which trail the deer are going to come from. Then you have to be fortunate enough to stop them in your shooting lanes and make the shot.

My food plots are looking good. I walked down to take some progress pictures of my food plots this evening. One of them had several deer in it at about 4:30pm.

I will do my best to keep this thread updated throughout my season.

Here is a link to last years thread:

Here are a few pictures to get this thread started.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arrowsmith; 10-18-2022, 08:07 PM.

Along for the ride!! I hope to be in Iowa next year. Good luck Mike

Comment

Awesome can’t wait. Good luck this year and hope the kitties track a monster for you. :-)

Comment

I always enjoy your live hunts! Thank you for taking us along Mike!

Comment

Been waiting on you to start, good luck this season Mike.

Comment

Best of luck to you this season!!!

Comment

Everything looks great Mike, you and those cats get after it!! Good luck!

Comment

I’m along for the ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Mike, 1st and foremost take care of yourself. We really enjoy your hunts so be safe and good luck!

Comment

There it is!!

Comment

Good luck Mike! Go get em!

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                        Good luck Mike! Go get em!
                        Good luck Mike, I know what you mean by thing change from year to year. I've hunted Iowa for the last 20 years. When you think you have everything planned out for the next year hunt only to find out crops change, land owner cleared the whole pasture or someone is hunting your spot. I guess it is what it is, still enjoy every minute I'm there. If I could convince my wife to move to God's country I would.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Comment

Hope the tracking cats had a good off-season as well. Stay vigilant about your health and do the right things. I do not remember ever seeing you say anything about making supplemental mineral licks. I bought several bags of Trophy Rock to put out this year and will put a camera on them to check. Good luck and be safe.

Comment

One of my most favorite threads of deer season…….Good Luck!

Comment

Prayers for you. Good luck and looking forward to your posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X