Here we go again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go again

It's happened yet again....i knew it was only gonna be a matter of time before it came back around again to make the next 3 weeks of my life an absolute misery....I don't even know where it came from or how in lords name I got it on me as I was wearing gloves and long sleeve clothes at the time...but my personal kryptonite, poison ivy has laid its vicious rash upon my flesh....and now its spreading like a plauge across my body....it never seems to matter what steroids they give me, what creams I apply, how soon I try and wash it off my skin after contact - nothing seems to change the fact that its a burden that I just have to ride out till it's over....im so tierd of it....ill never let it keep me from being in the woods, but I swear no matter how hard I try I still end up dealing with this 3 times a year it seems...

Hopefully it goes away sooner than later.

Comment

I'd find a way to pay a small fortune for a vaccine to make me invincible to this stupid leaf if it was available....Id trade a lifetime of diarrhea and sea sickness to never deal with this agian....there has to be a way for this to not be so terrible....

Comment

I’ve had good luck with Tecnu, an over the counter cleanser for poison ivy. As soon as I come out of the woods I use the tailgate, Tecnu, and a 5 gal jug of water to wash exposed skin. Wash, rinse, repeat. Saved me trips to the doctor. You have to remove the poison ivy oils from your skin as soon as possible. If you don’t remove the oils you will spread the oils all over. A piece of advice, don’t take a leak with poison ivy oils on your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Beleg View Post
          I’ve had good luck with Tecnu, an over the counter cleanser for poison ivy. As soon as I come out of the woods I use the tailgate, Tecnu, and a 5 gal jug of water to wash exposed skin. Wash, rinse, repeat. Saved me trips to the doctor. You have to remove the poison ivy oils from your skin as soon as possible. If you don’t remove the oils you will spread the oils all over. A piece of advice, don’t take a leak with poison ivy oils on your hands.

The problem is I don't realize I come in contact with it till I start itching 2 days later.....by then it's too late and the damage is done....I find that gojo works great then I've wiped down with laquer thinner on a rag to make certain the oils are gone
          Last edited by DEREKG22; 09-16-2022, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Been very lucky my whole life, I can roll all in this stuff and nothing, I've had it all around me and never break out, sorry my friend, hope your better soon.

God Bless
            Bish

Comment

Originally posted by Bish View Post
              Been very lucky my whole life, I can roll all in this stuff and nothing, I've had it all around me and never break out, sorry my friend, hope your better soon.

God Bless
              Bish
              Oh how I envy you sir....I musta been a horrible man In my former life to be so allergic to this stuff now

Comment

God Bless
                Bish
                same here, except I haven't tried the rolling around in it.

When I was young, I climbed a huge oak tree along side a well used deer trail.
                On the way down, I noticed a nickel sized(or better) Poison Ivy vine with leaves all over..
                I guess on the way up I was too excited to notice. Never got this itch.
                Shot a little 6 that day also...from that tree.

Comment

That was my case until I reached about 40. Now, I get it occassionally, but haven't had it bad in quite awhile (knock on wood). TECNU is definitely my go-to, when it happens.

OP: Do you recognize poison ivy, oak, etc, when you're out and about? As allergic as you are to it, I'd think it would be in your best interest to learn how to identify those plants.

Comment

Rubber boots and long sleeves are a must. Gloves are good but never touch your face until you shower. Never burn the stuff. Never run a weed eater through it. Spray it a couple times a month with brush killer. Shower the moment you are done working around it and wash the clothes as soon as you take them off.

Comment

Technu....early and late!

Comment

God Bless
                        Bish
                        Fortunately I'm in the same boat. Came across it numerous times surveying and never got it.

Comment

Tecnu and dawn soap shower after I'm done in the woods if I even seen it

If the rash comes up, paint thinner, then HOT shower and dawn

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I was like the OP until 18 or 19 years old. Got it 3 to 4 times a year at ut was bad. Guess I built up a tolerance or something I get a very mild case once every few years now.
                            Stuff is the devil.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DEREKG22 View Post
                              It's happened yet again....i knew it was only gonna be a matter of time before it came back around again to make the next 3 weeks of my life an absolute misery....I don't even know where it came from or how in lords name I got it on me as I was wearing gloves and long sleeve clothes at the time...but my personal kryptonite, poison ivy has laid its vicious rash upon my flesh....and now its spreading like a plauge across my body....it never seems to matter what steroids they give me, what creams I apply, how soon I try and wash it off my skin after contact - nothing seems to change the fact that its a burden that I just have to ride out till it's over....im so tierd of it....ill never let it keep me from being in the woods, but I swear no matter how hard I try I still end up dealing with this 3 times a year it seems...
                              I was the same way for many years. If I drove down a country road in my pickup I came home with it. Worst I ever had it was when I unknowingly cleared a bunch of brush around a campsite that had it intertwined throughout. Afterward I took a rag bath in camp before going to hunt then sprayed scentaway on my hands and wiped it all over every inch of my body. About an hour later I was sitting in my stand and started itching like fire all over. By the next day every inch of me was broke out in rash, yes, even THOSE places!
                              I'm not sure if all the exposure I've had has developed some type of immunity or what but I never seem to react to it anymore. It's been 5 or 6 years since I've had a rash from it. But I can spot that stuff from a mile away now so maybe I've just gotten really good at avoiding it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X