auto mechanic help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

auto mechanic help?

any of you on here that i can send you some pics of a hel distributor cap and tell me what might have causes this? thanks. are someone that can post pics for me on here?
    Last edited by waterdog; 11-26-2022, 12:01 PM.

Pm sent

Comment

Try these

The only time I've ever seen a crack cap was from a hot cap getting splashed with water
      Attached Files

Comment

rip waterdogs distributor cap rip

Comment

thank you mr walker for posting the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
            rip waterdogs distributor cap rip

Hahahahahaa

Comment

Maybe they doubled the insulator on the coil tower.

Comment

It appears as though there was a tab on the rotor where it contacts the coil wire plug in the cap. The wear on that spot is an oval instead of it being round, which makes me think a little tab was spot welded in place there. If there was a tab there then it came off, hitting the rotor, knocking that piece of plastic off, and then after bouncing around it broke the cap too. That little tab is probably sitting in the top of the distributor if this is what happened.

Comment

Not sure, at first I was thinking the distributor was worn out, allowing the distributor shaft to move up and up too much, which could be the case. Other option, might be the coil swelled up and pushed the top of the cap down. Other option, was either the rotor or the cap were installed cooked. I think I have seen that years ago. Whatever the reason, the rotor, hit the cap and broke both.

Since the cap and rotor both look new, one of the two not being installed correctly may be the problem. I think if you install the rotor, where it is pointing the wrong direction on the top of the shaft, it will cause it to sit crooked. If I remember correctly on the GM rotors, there is a square hole on one side of the top of the distributor shaft and a round hole on the other side. Then rotor has a square pin on one side and round pin on the other, for the purpose of making sure you put the rotor on the shaft correctly.

Comment

the distributor is about 1 year old, truck was running great. it was just sitting running and just die. put on a new ignition modules,coil, rotor and cap still have no spark? i do have 12 volts going to the distributor? thanks for yalls input.
                    Last edited by waterdog; 11-27-2022, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X