• Time
  • Show
Clear All

My oldest son a few years ago with the Henry my dad gave to me

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      Good thread.

Now what is a 38/55?
      Imagine a 30-30 blowed out straight, and you're not far off. It's a straight wall cartridge with a .378ish bullet. Originally it was a black powder load, in good actions it can be loaded up pretty nice now, similar to the way 45-70s are. If you've ever seen in a 375 winchester, not 375 Magnum, the 3855 has a touch longer case and a couple thousands larger bullet if I remember correctly, but in equal rifles they can be loaded to equal velocity.

That's the basics maybe somebody can chime in if they know a little more than that

Comment

I shot my first deer with my dad’s open sight 30-30. My grandpa gave my my first rifle a year or so later. It was a 38-55 Chief Crazy Horse. Awesome rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My next purchase will be a Henry in 45-70. Would love to have a BLR in 270 as well, maybe one day.

Comment

Lever gun hunting

Normally reserved for pig duty, but this doe stomped and blowed herself into 240 grains of .444.

Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-21-2022, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              Normally reserved for pig duty, but this doe stomped and blowed herself into 240 grains of .444.

Very nice .444. Don’t see many of those anymore.

What scope is that you have on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Lever gun hunting

It’s a Nikon… 3 x 10 x 44, I think. It’s just one I had acquired at some point. I should probably find it a 2 x 7 Leopold‘s for it, but I don’t really want to sight it in again.[emoji23]

Comment

Wow, these are some seriously beautiful lever guns...

Comment

I'm trying to find a synthetic 30-30 that's threaded.. I found a few but geez they're pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by CrownKiller14 View Post
                      I'm trying to find a synthetic 30-30 that's threaded.. I found a few but geez they're pricey.
                      I was just at the Carters Country in Pasadena. They had one of those Henry black 30-30's. I think those are threaded. You could call and find out. They had a few different lever guns in there. (I know they're high)

Comment

Lever gun hunting

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                        Very nice rifle, love that style. Had a Glenfield/Marlin in .30-30 a few years back that was my Dad's, made a big mistake and traded it.

Thx.
                        I let her show her abilities this morning.
                        My mom said it made my dad smile.

It’s about as accurate as they come, at 100yds anyways. Tight tight groups with this one.

Great pics/ kills on the thread everyone [emoji106]

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
                          Imagine a 30-30 blowed out straight, and you're not far off. It's a straight wall cartridge with a .378ish bullet. Originally it was a black powder load, in good actions it can be loaded up pretty nice now, similar to the way 45-70s are. If you've ever seen in a 375 winchester, not 375 Magnum, the 3855 has a touch longer case and a couple thousands larger bullet if I remember correctly, but in equal rifles they can be loaded to equal velocity.

That's the basics maybe somebody can chime in if they know a little more than that
                          You pretty well have it covered. The only thing I’ll add is to never try to shoot a .375 Win in a rifle chambered for .38-55 Win. Disaster might result !

Comment

i’m going to hunt this weekend with my grandpaws 1910 winchester 94 octagon barrel 25/35 finally found some ammo for it couple weeks ago its labeled 6.5x53R but it’s 25/35 lol anything that comes out better watch out !

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A7090533-36FC-4855-A263-5DADD45CCA5B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	24699786

Took dads old Winchester with me tonight. Killed two pigs just at dark. First animals I ever killed with it even though I used it a bit as a kid. My very first deer ever came with an octagon barrel 32-20 made in 1906.

Comment

It’s with me tonight. Wind didn’t do what the apps said so it’s a tag along and not the main weapon

Comment

Working...
                                X