Sausage making..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
    does the auger extension replace the blade for the stuffing part? I have the same grinder and the stuffing plate. Don't remember how it was set up last time, but I think I used the blade and the stuffing plate.

Gonna do Jap/Cheese summer sausage this year. trying to figure out what type of jalapenas to use.
    If you don't like the japs to be hot I have a suggestion. They have a great flavor but not hot at all. I've been using them for years on my summer sausage and sticks.

"Mezzetta Medium Heat Sliced Tamed JalapeƱo Peppers, 16 fl oz - Walmart.com" https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mezzetta-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

thanx Doug. That look's promising. How do you cut up the japs and what ratio do you use? this is for summer sausage.

Comment

thanx Doug. That look's promising. How do you cut up the japs and what ratio do you use? this is for summer sausage.
        I usually just chop them up some with a knife. This year I tried a food processor and it made it to fine. Flavor is there but don't really see them. I don't really have an exact measurement but usually most of one of the big jars for a 25 lb batch. I use them in a lot of stuff. I don't like my mouth burning but I like the flavor.

Wish you were closer I'd let you try some of mine.

Comment

thanx, 1# of jap per 25# of meat is what I am seeing. I will do inventory tomorrow night to see how much venison I have to grind. Will mix the venison with pork for the sausage.

Gonna make some axis bacon burger, maple breakfast sausage and jap/cheese summer sausage this year.

Comment

thanx, 1# of jap per 25# of meat is what I am seeing. I will do inventory tomorrow night to see how much venison I have to grind. Will mix the venison with pork for the sausage.

Gonna make some axis bacon burger, maple breakfast sausage and jap/cheese summer sausage this year.
            Sounds like a plan! Me and glen did about 60 or 70 lbs of burger. Then me and the wife did about 40 lbs of summer sausage, 35 lbs of sticks, 25 pan, and 10 chorizo. I've still got some more frozen to make links and any left over will be sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Yup. Thatā€™s a no go. Plus I add the plastic auger extension to the metal auger and it pushes it through like a champ on my 1HP Cabelas .
              Can anyone provide a link for this "plastic auger extension" I cannot seem to find it? I am want to try this. thanks for any help.

Comment

This:
                Attached Files

Comment

I made 75 lbs of smoked sausage two weeks ago. Best thing I ever bought was the stuffer. I grinded, mixed and stuffed by myself. I season before grind too.
                  Attached Files

Comment

That looks awesome bud!!! I am looking at sausage stuffers right now so I can be ready to go in February!

Comment

I know this is kind of an old thread, but...

I also mix before grinding but just because it's easier to get the seasoning on all the pieces when they are bigger than mixing it in something already ground; then the grinder does the rest. However, I will add to meat I have already ground if needed, it just takes more work to mix it; flavor is fine either way.

I always add liquid at 10% by weight, water, milk or beer depending on the flavor profile I am working towards. It helps with keeping it juicy when hot smoking (which is what I mostly do) and helps with the protein break down and tackiness. I hate a dry sausage. If cold smoking I do not add water.

When to add the water? I add it close to last, when I am working everything up to get the tackiness I want. Sometimes this is running again (double grind) or just hand or paddle mixing, depending on the size of the load.

High temp cheese is best but you can certainly use regular cheese, it will still taste cheesy but you don't get the cheese in the bite and the presentation isn't there either.

Even though I double grind I don't use the small die, I use the big one on both grinds unless I am making hot dogs, bologna or Italian style sausage.

I also use a hand crank stuffer, easier to control the speed and start/stop.

I think I have some pictures I'll post them later.

Comment

Jalapeno chess sausage and boudin from a few weeks ago...

Comment

Season before grinding for a better mix

Comment

Working...
                          X