No announcement yet.

7prc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So whats the difference in this and a 7mm Remington Mag? Are there any significant advantages, disadvantages?

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
      So whats the difference in this and a 7mm Remington Mag? Are there any significant advantages, disadvantages?
      Marketing and technology. most 7mm rm are designed to stabilize 140-160 grain bullets. Competition shooters pushed for higher bc heavy for caliber bullets so now you can buy 170-190 grain 7mm bullets but factory rifles in 7rm will not stabilize.

7mm prc would be like 7mm creedmore on steroids with nonbelted magnum cartridge 7prc with 180 grain bullets would have more energy and less drift at 1000 yards than 300 win mag with 180 grain bullets due to 7mm being a longer sleeker bullet of same weight

Comment

I'm willing to bet a lot of TBH specials will be chambered for the 7 PRC.

Comment

I was just listening to the Hornady podcast on the way in. Lot's of good info. Obviously the podcast is run by Hornady staff so make your own assessment on their bias, but still good information and comparisons.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
            PRC doesn’t have a belt. Some folks hate that. But I’ve been shooting a 7 RM for a long time and I don’t see the need for this one aside from factory ammo being good.

I’m at 3075 with a 180 Berger. The 28 nosler does better than that.

Hornady is a marketing genius. That’s all it boils down to. The 6.5 creed wasn’t needed. Neither was the 6 creed. Nor is this. But they have huge pull with gun makers and a brilliant marketing team. So it will succeed.

Comment

I'd rather have a 7saum

Comment

I'll stick with my 7 Mag and my 7 SAUM. I've got a 6.5 PRC as well. Just don't have time to shoot them all!

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                  I'll stick with my 7 Mag and my 7 SAUM. I've got a 6.5 PRC as well. Just don't have time to shoot them all!
                  I have been reading about the 7PRC for a couple weeks now, guys are already filling the cases full of RL26 trying to get the velocity up.

Comment

If those numbers are repeatable in multiple rifles then it's a real sweet spot for capacity in the 7mm.

I'm trying not to jump on the bandwagon but that's very compelling numbers.

Reloading 7 PRC - Learn how six different powders work in Hornady's new 7 PRC. Powders include H1000, N565, H4831SC, RL23, and Retumbo.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                      If those numbers are repeatable in multiple rifles then it's a real sweet spot for capacity in the 7mm.

I'm trying not to jump on the bandwagon but that's very compelling numbers.

Reloading 7 PRC - Learn how six different powders work in Hornady's new 7 PRC. Powders include H1000, N565, H4831SC, RL23, and Retumbo.

Great read thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah I hate to say it but that's 7RM numbers in a 24 inch tube.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221027_182311_Chrome.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	24696577

Comment

I was at APR today and they said they got their reamer in for it today.

Comment

It is certainly and interesting take-- I think it is really a solution without a problem though... And it is important to take reported results with a grain of sand because almost all the time they are NOT comparing apples to apples and there are differences in barrel length, or comparing factory loads to handloads, etc etc

1. If you are sticking with a long action you have greater case capacity with a 7RM or you can really step on it with a 28N or 7RUM-- also you aren't hamstrung by a single producer for brass although I'm sure the 7prc will get love from aftermarket suppliers eventually. BLUF- plenty of good options already available for .284 bullets in a long action.

1a. and because they didn't go into the SA realm they get zero weight savings compared to a WSM or SAUM for the folks who are in the lightweight/backcountry space.

2. Barrel twist rates are ZERO argument for one cartridge over another because that is a personal preference based off quarry and desired bullet choice-- and if you are building a custom anyway you aren't stuck with a overly slow twist. If you are looking for a factory rifle and factory ammo then I would say it is a higher likelihood that the nuanced differences offered by say a 7prc vs 7RM vs 28N vs 7saum probably don't matter for your hunting/shooting.

3. Back to suppliers etc- recall that the 6.5prc and 300PRC have both had dimensional issues and ammunition supply/QC issues--which isn't good if you have only one factory supplier.

3a. It is already still impossible to find 7mm bullets as a component anywhere.... now they will get sucked up for production of factory ammo... boo!

Comment

For me it seems like a good option.
                              Shoot heavy for caliber bullets out of a more efficient case using a shorter barrel with good factory ammo options.
                              I don’t have time to reload and like to shoot at longer ranges.

Comment

For those interested in reloading, Grard Archery in Weatherford TX has some Berger Classic Hunters 7mm 150gr 100ct. And some Berger Hybrid Target in a 184gr 100ct. I'm not sure on price.

Comment

Working...
                                X