No announcement yet.

Rifle shot to drop a pig DRT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This should end the debate over where the vitals are in a hog.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 10-18-2022, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Neck. 22-250. DRT

Comment

I like to wait until the hog is facing me with it's head down eating then do a head shot.

Miss any direction 2-3" and it still drops.

Comment

Don't take a "big gun" if you shoot the right place. I dropped a 100# boar DRT with a 25 caliber air gun 40 yards with a shot just below the ear hole. Pellet was lodged in the skin on the other side a little farther back in the neck... He jerked around and flopped a bit, but did not take a step... Made that same shot on many, many others with everything from a 22LR to a 300 WinMag... Same results. If they're facing you, imagine an x formed by drawing a line from the left ear to right eye, and right ear to left eye. Put the bulled in that x... It'a right between the eyes but up half way between the eyes and ears... I personally like the broadside shot under the ear just like AC described... and with a smallish caliber (say 6mm/243 and down, the skull will be just fine.

Comment

Anywhere between the ear and high shoulder works every time. I like high shoulder. If the shooter misses back they hit lungs, if they miss forward they hit neck and if the miss low the hit heart.

Comment

Facing me is my favorite shot. Right in the face. Sideways I go for middle of neck or point of shoulder. For ones I don't intend on eating, anywhere is good as long as they run off somewhere to die. Buzzards gotta eat too.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                I like to wait until the hog is facing me with it's head down eating then do a head shot.

Miss any direction 2-3" and it still drops.
                I’ve had an 180-200 lb boar run off after that shot with a 75 gr 223. Flopped him instantly upon the initial shot. I left the rifle in the truck and started walking his way to drag him out of the field. Got right up to him, blood coming out from between his eyes, and he stood up and waddled off. He wasn’t in good shape, and guaranteed he was buzzard bait by that night. But you’d have never made me believe he could shake off that shot had I not seen it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
                  Right between the ear and point of their shoulder
                  This.. it plants them every time

Comment

Earhole hasnt failed me yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                      This.. it plants them every time
                      Is the "point of the shoulder" the top or the front?

Comment

I have never had one take a step after this shot.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Base of the ear and it's goodnight!!

Comment

Originally posted by JunxMan View Post
                            Is the "point of the shoulder" the top or the front?
                            I had same question.

Top seems like the shot would be too high.
                            Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-18-2022, 08:21 AM. Reason: TopShotSpake

Comment

I sun dead center in the neck. Stones the biggest pig. Even with an arrow!

Comment

Between the point of the shoulder and ear. Pretty much dead middle of the neck. Point of the shoulder would be the thickest mass area thar transitions to neck
                                Last edited by Hills of Texas; 10-18-2022, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X