Hide tannning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hide tannning

Anybody have reccomendations for a god hide tanning service. I have a bear that I want to turn into a rug. Looking for someone in Central/South Texas.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
    Anybody have reccomendations for a god hide tanning service. I have a bear that I want to turn into a rug. Looking for someone in Central/South Texas.

if you want a good price, good product and don't care if it takes 9 months then check out North Texas Tannery. No doubt there will be places that do it quicker but not cheaper or better.

Comment

I sent mine to Rug-Be Bears and should be getting back soon. My buddy from Alaska uses them and their work was solid from what I could tell hanging on his wall. If you’re only doing the hide and not what I’d consider a traditional rug with head and claws, I’d have no exception to sending to North Texas Tannery. Fed Ex overnight using their box service was relatively cheap, just ship on a Monday or Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
        I sent mine to Rug-Be Bears and should be getting back soon. My buddy from Alaska uses them and their work was solid from what I could tell hanging on his wall. If you’re only doing the hide and not what I’d consider a traditional rug with head and claws, I’d have no exception to sending to North Texas Tannery. Fed Ex overnight using their box service was relatively cheap, just ship on a Monday or Tuesday.
        I want it with the head and the feet. I also want to keep the skull. I need to get it scored. This bear is pretty darn big. I would say it topped #600.

Comment

Check the DIY section. There's a walkthrough on how to tan a bobcat hide yourself.

Comment

Very few places will accept non-taxidermy business skins. Tanneries are generally wholesale type business vs walk in business.

Is the hide green? fleshed and salted? Sounds like green if you don't have the skull in your hands already.

Why are you not going to a taxidermist for this?

Comment

i have used North Texas Tannery for some hides. I just took an elk hide to him and he told me 8 months.

Comment

I will go to a taxidernist if I have to. I just want to take it to someone who will do a good job. This is a once in a lifetime bear for me.

Comment

I want it with the head and the feet. I also want to keep the skull. I need to get it scored. This bear is pretty darn big. I would say it topped #600.

I removed the skull from mine myself, it was super simple to do. I’m sure you could watch a YouTube video or two and DIY. I also euro’d mine myself.

I had someone flesh and dry my hide in Alaska before I sent it over to Rug-Be Bears, but I’m sure you could call them and ask if that’s necessary.

Comment

We need pictures

Comment

If you are going to try and flesh and salt yourself, be careful. Bears are really greasy and you need to degrease and flesh and wash then salt or you risk acid rot during the tanning process. I wouldn't even attempt to do this stage in the Texas heat unless everything was handled in a climate controlled environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                        i have used North Texas Tannery for some hides. I just took an elk hide to him and he told me 8 months.
                        I took him my elk hide last fall (8 months ago) and picked it up last weekend. It is huge and I have no idea what I'm going to do with it! I've used north Texas tannery and couple of time and owner is a PITA but I've been please with the work and price and didn't mind the wait.

Comment

I will go to a taxidernist if I have to. I just want to take it to someone who will do a good job. This is a once in a lifetime bear for me.

If that is a the case, I would find a taxidermist experienced in bear rugs and take it there. I have had lots of hides tanned at N Tx Tannery, but he dosen’t do what you are looking for!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just go to a reputable taxidermist local to you and be done with it.

Comment

Where exact is central/south Texas. I could point you in the right direction and get you someone close if I knew your location.

Comment

Working...
                              X