7x57mm caliber,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7x57mm caliber,

Anybody know anything about the 7×57mm caliber , my local pawn shop has a 1926 Mauser in 7×57mm for 200 bucks it looks like a nice rifle but how's the caliber?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I believe it is based off the 1893 model mauser. and I think it was used by the Spanish. the 7x57 is a good round for anything you will hunt in texas. A lot of people buy modern stocks for these and use them. My first bolt gun for deer was a Spanish 93 chambered in 308. I think most the 26's are 7mm.

Comment

That's a classic but underrated cartridge. Commercial ammo tends to be underpowered. A handloaded round in a MODERN action would be as good or better than a 7mm-08.

Comment

Pretty close to te same ballistics as a 7mm-08 great old round

Comment

Great round with a ton of history in wars and hunting in Africa. Sounds like a good deal but like others said, you can't use super hot ammo in the older actions.

Comment

When I need a rifle to hunt with I mostly choose the 7x57.
            I have a model 70 feather weight.
            It’s a pleasure to carry in the hills.

Moderate recoil is my favorite reason to carry the rifle.
            The 7x57 don’t have much recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BernieH View Post
              That's a classic but underrated cartridge. Commercial ammo tends to be underpowered. A handloaded round in a MODERN action would be as good or better than a 7mm-08.
              X2

Comment

I also have a feather weight in 7x57 or 7mm mauser. My brother has its twin with consecutive numbers. Pops has a ruger #1 in it.

I deer hunted Exclusively with mine before I started bow hunting all year. 140 grain soft points killed piles of deer and dad even carried his to Colorado the last trip and killed his elk with his.

Its a good deer round

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s a great cartridge. I have 3 one it an old Mauser Mannlicher, one Remington CDL mountain that shoots bugholes with factory 140 grain ammo and my favorite it the Ruger African 275 Rigby. I shoot the Federal 175 grain round nose out of it and killed 2 deer and 2 large pigs with it this year.

Comment

7x57mm caliber,

The only deer rifle I own is a 7x57 Mauser made by FN for the Argentine army way back when!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Last edited by Bisch; 01-21-2019, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Have the model 70 featherweight, absolutely love the 7x57. Moderat recoil and have killed black tails to mule deer with it with no issues

Comment

My grandfather left me his Oberndorff Mauser 7x57 with set trigger and Cape Buffalo
                        butt plate. I shoot 140 grain factory ammo with it. Recoil is light. Buy it, glass bed it, and buy a good scope. Make sure bore is in good shape.

Comment

Look up fame ivory hunter WW Bell, see how many elephants he killed with it with only one shot

Comment

7x57

I have an African Rigby also it love a 160 grain Speer bullet ahead of some IMR 4831. It will perform right up there with a 280 Remington in a modern action.

Comment

I have always wanted a 7x57 in a Mannlicher stock, preferably a Ruger #1. I think they are classy as hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X