No announcement yet.

2020 F250- 7.3 gas engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't wait to see/ hear them tuned, super charged, etc. Deep throaty, and I'm expecting 700+ hp once built. I'd really like to see Hennessy get a hold of one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
      My 7.3 diesel gets 17.3 on a good day on the highway. TFL is claiming 14.7 mph with the 7.3 gas motor and a 4.30 rear end. So let’s do the math an assume (based on wild TBH reports) 19mpg for the 6.7 diesel.

Gas is $2.17 at my local pump and diesel is $2.68

The truck costs $6100 more with the diesel (today’s info at The local Ford dealership)

Let’s figure 5000 highway miles. 5000/19mpg is 263.2 gallons at $2.68/gallon. That’s $705.

5000 miles at 14.7mpg and $2.17 works out to $764 for fuel.

$59/5000miles savings on the diesel but we paid a $6100 premium up front. So we have to drive 516,000 miles to recoup the cost in fuel when we consider what we had to pay up front. Let’s not forget the fuel filters, DEF and the oil.

Bottom line, the gas motor kicks the diesel motor’s asp. If you ain’t pulling 20,000lbs every day you are driving the diesel because you WANT to. It makes zero financial sense compared to the gas motor.

I think my 02 model 7.3 makes 275hp and 550 lb-ft of torque. It pulls 19,000lbs just fine. I ain’t begrudging a guy that has 1200 lb-ft of torque on their tuned diesel but you don’t need it. You just WANT it because you can’t justify it from a dollars standpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exactly why my 2007 GMC 6.6 will be replaced by a gas engine some day. It just does not make sense to own a diesel anymore for the average person pulling a camper, boat or even tractor down the road. I get it, some people pull all the time and need it. I once had a 13,500 Lbs 36 foot fifth wheel and that is why I got the dually. The 7.3 seams like a good simple engine with a lot of future potential.

Comment

Vulgar language

Originally posted by 9452772 View Post
        This is exactly why my 2007 GMC 6.6 will be replaced by a gas engine some day. It just does not make sense to own a diesel anymore for the average person pulling a camper, boat or even tractor down the road. I get it, some people pull all the time and need it. I once had a 13,500 Lbs 36 foot fifth wheel and that is why I got the dually. The 7.3 seams like a good simple engine with a lot of future potential.
        Last night I watched a video about the new 7.3
        It says it was specific made for the huge FLEET market
        Were diesel maintenance and cost doesn’t make fiscal sense
        Video was saying it’s perfect for f350-650 school , city, county,utility company, ect
        The video was not unkind to the 6.7 for longer distance towing
        It was unkind about the 6.2 as a fleet vehicle

Here is the video warning vulgar language

The guy is also saying the after market mods aren’t going to be very big
        Watch it and comment if it makes sense or not
        interested
        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-22-2020, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
          Last night I watched a video about the new 7.3
          It says it was specific made for the huge FLEET market
          Were diesel maintenance and cost doesn’t make fiscal sense
          Video was saying it’s perfect for f350-650 school , city, county,utility company, ect
          The video was not unkind to the 6.7 for longer distance towing
          It was unkind about the 6.2 as a fleet vehicle

Here is the video warning vulgar language

The guy is also saying the after market mods aren’t going to be very big
          Watch it and comment if it makes sense or not
          interested
          Aftermarket support will be based on how many they sell. If Ford sells a bunch and the aftermarket is getting requests from guys wanting superchargers, turbo chargers, tuning, intake manifolds, cold air intakes so on and so forth they are going to jump all over it. I hope it doesnt end up like the 8.1 Chevy motor that never took off which caused little to no aftermarket support and the ones that did support the 8.1 motor charged so much that it didnt make sense for the average guy but they had to charge that much to make it worth their time since they knew they wouldnt sell very many of their products.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastwood View Post
            My 2001 f250 powerstroke made 275 hp and 525 ft lbs of torque. I think this engine will be just fine power wise. I remember when a stock 302 made 170 hp. Everybody needs 400+ horsepower and 1,000 foot pounds of torque to go to the store nowadays.
            That’s no joke.

Comment

Here’s a window sticker I snapped at the auto show yesterday.

Ford was the only larger truck I was drawn to. Chevy/GMC maybe, Ram heavy duties are still made in Mexico and I prefer not to support that. RAM Production is supposed to move back north of the border next year so if I wait that option would open up.

The nissan XD was also there, but doors locked up since it is a pre production model.

Although the 2020 F-250 is an inch shorter than the 17-19’s.
              It still sits noticeably taller than my 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                That’s better than my 6.7
                And better than my 2019 6.2 with the same 4.30 gear set. Best I've ever done is 13 mpg over 25k.

Comment

Originally posted by freestylest22 View Post
                  The 6.7 stands heads and shoulders over the 7.3. Reliability, maintenance cost, horsepower, fuel mileage. I have one 7.3 in a fleet of 11 6.7 Powerstrokes and that thing is always getting worked on, leaks everywhere and needs to be babied. I love my 6.7. I don't know how anyone would be able to afford fuel in that 7.3 gasser. I have three 19 F250 with the 6.2's and they are lucky to get 12mpg on the highway.
                  I agree, 7.3 Powerstrokes aren’t very good. My 2001 has only gone 360,000 miles so far with minimal maintenance. I’ve never put a chip or tuner on it and change the oil with Rotella dinosaur oil every 5,000 miles or so. Wish I had a more reliable truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
                    I agree, 7.3 Powerstrokes aren’t very good. My 2001 has only gone 360,000 miles so far with minimal maintenance. I’ve never put a chip or tuner on it and change the oil with Rotella dinosaur oil every 5,000 miles or so. Wish I had a more reliable truck.
                    I think most understood where he was going...
                    There is no comparison in power...
                    It’s like comparing the v8s Bonnie & Clyde used to today’s engines.
                    The current Powerstroke almost has twice the h.p. and torque of your 7.3...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                      I think most understood where he was going...

There is no comparison in power...

It’s like comparing the v8s Bonnie & Clyde used to today’s engines.

The current Powerstroke almost has twice the h.p. and torque of your 7.3...

Who gives a crap. The old ones pulls anything you need to pull and and they don’t ever die if you take care of them. Put dirty fuel in it....it chugs along. If it does come uncorked, $5k can get you rolling again with a NEW motor. Sure the new ones make more power....$70k should get you something...until a bee farts next to the DEF tank and the fuel system and you have to spend $10k to fix it.

I put a quart of the used rotella in my 7.3 every fill up. It doesn’t care. It just runs, and runs, and runs, and runs. Leaks oil, it’s loud, but it runs and pulls.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                        Who gives a crap. The old ones pulls anything you need to pull and and they don’t ever die if you take care of them. Put dirty fuel in it....it chugs along. If it does come uncorked, $5k can get you rolling again with a NEW motor. Sure the new ones make more power....$70k should get you something...until a bee farts next to the DEF tank and the fuel system and you have to spend $10k to fix it.

I put a quart of the used rotella in my 7.3 every fill up. It doesn’t care. It just runs, and runs, and runs, and runs. Leaks oil, it’s loud, but it runs and pulls.

I give a crap...
                        That’s why I don’t own one any more...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                          I give a crap...
                          That’s why I don’t own one any more...
                          I dont blame you in the least. I wouldnt own a 7.3 if it was given to me. Well not much longer than it would take to sell it anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by parramore View Post
                            let us all remember that ford did take a handout and owes us 5.9 billion, yes that's billion, dollars. That and death wobble will guarantee i will not be purchasing the 7.3 for $73,000 base.
                            fake news

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                              Here’s a window sticker I snapped at the auto show yesterday.

Ford was the only larger truck I was drawn to. Chevy/GMC maybe, Ram heavy duties are still made in Mexico and I prefer not to support that. RAM Production is supposed to move back north of the border next year so if I wait that option would open up.

The nissan XD was also there, but doors locked up since it is a pre production model.

Although the 2020 F-250 is an inch shorter than the 17-19’s.
                              It still sits noticeably taller than my 2011.

What does a new one cost with the 6.7???

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
                                What does a new one cost with the 6.7???
                                A similarly optioned KR would be about $78-79k

Comment

Working...
                                X