No announcement yet.

Shooting range close call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's why I go during the week. Its usually just me.

Comment

Never been to a public range and stories like this make me have no desire to ever set foot on one

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
        Close one.

Was at my local members only range one day about 3 years ago. Even though it is a strict place, accidents can and will happen. A family was shooting at a table in the middle of the firing line and a competition shooter was proned out shooting an Anshultz type 22 on one of the ends of the range. Next thing I know one of the familes’ kids (prolly 12 or so) takes off down the range and makes it about 30 yards before I see her. As I yell cease fire the Anshultz shooter squeezes off a round. With his competition garb on he didn’t see the kid down range. No one was hurt but it still scared the crap out of us. Especially him. The shooter felt bad but it wasn’t his fault, the range was hot.
        Mind sharing the location? Wondering if I know the competition shooter

Comment

Very rare that I go to a public range and the one I do go to is extremely strict.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
            the range I go to, we are not even allowed to be holding or touching the guns when there is a cease fire. close call for sure
            This, and no one goes down range until the Range Officers declare everyone has stepped back.

Comment

I have been to probably 5 different public ranges in my life and only seen one “range officer”. That is why I joined a members only range with strict rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s freaking scary.... I try not to go to a range either but sometimes I have to. I think about accidents but the range officers at Elm Fork do a pretty darn good job.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                  There is a range I have shot on many times over the years. They have a berm built on three sides of the pistol range, which is to the left of the rifle range. Just on the right side of the berm that divides the pistol from the rifle range, is the 25 yard range, with one or two target stands, then the 50 yard range to the right of that with one or two target stands. Then a bunch of 100 yard target stands.

On about three different occasions I have walked down to the 50 yard target stands, while someone was shooting on the pistol range. To this day, I don't know what the people on the pistol range were shooting at, but on three different occasions, I had bullets whizzing past me, not like one or two, more like five to either rounds. Each time I tried yelling at the person or people on the pistol range, they never heard me. I confronted whoever was on the pistol range and asked what they were shooting at, each time they got bent out of shape and told me they were shooting at the targets on the stands and there was no way bullets were going down the rifle range. Which I would agree, there should be no way bullets should be going down the rifle range, from the pistol range, if the guys are shooting at targets on the target stands and hitting the target stands. But I still don't think they were shooting at targets on the target stands. The berms are much higher than target stands and directly behind them. Then there are berms of the same height to the right and left of the rear berm. I still don't know how they manage to get bullets over that berm and then go down the rifle range, but there was no question, I was dodging ricocheted handgun bullets.
                  After the third time it happened, I absolutely won't go down the rifle range, if someone is shooting on the pistol range.

Sounds exactly like the range out past my house in Comal County

Comment

A few years ago, I had to chew my BILs butt. I have a 100 yard range off my cabin deck. I shoot down the entrance to my camp area, which has a pond and dam another 200 yards past my target. My 55 acres is a little over a mile from the county road.

I called to find out when he was getting here, he said he was an hour and a half out...so I started shooting. After about 10-15 rounds, I hop on the 4 wheeler to change the target, he shows up as i was changing the target paper...I was ticked.

Since the incident, I now put out a sign that says I’m shooting, go no further.

Comment

The gun range I've gone to for years is a family run operation. The original owner was a really nice older guy that I never had a single issue with in all the years I've gone out there. He passed away a couple of years ago and now his wife and son run the place. I get along fine with the wife but the son is bipolar or something. He lacks ANY sort of tact whatsoever and seems to walk around with a chip on his shoulder just looking to jump someone for screwing up. He's cost this establishment more money and customers than you can even fathom. He acts like he's mad at the world.

But at the end of the day, most of his barking is aimed (no pun intended) toward the idiots that don't follow the range rules. Hang around gun ranges as much as I do and you see some stupid stuff, trust me.
                      I have zero tolerance for anyone approaching a bench during a cease fire. When I'm down range adjusting or looking at targets I don't want you messing with your firearm on the bench. Drives me crazy!

Comment

Hate public ranges with a passion.

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
                          the range I go to, we are not even allowed to be holding or touching the guns when there is a cease fire. close call for sure
                          ^^^ THIS

And I call out anyone who doesn't back away from the shooting benches.

Comment

Probably get flamed for this but might a need a age limit on public ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                              Probably get flamed for this but might a need a age limit on public ranges.
                              Agree to Disagree. Teach Them Young

Comment

Our range requires breech/bolts open and everyone that's not going to the target has to step back about 6 feet. Rangemasters are ***** but they have to be because of stupid people.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X