Barndo/cust. home build "Don't forgets"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
    Hot water return line from furthest faucet in house, triple insulate hot water lines

Hot water heater located in garage cabinet

Fully decked attic space with walk in doors if your going with 2 stories, attic storage room

Double wide doors somewhere for moving furniture and appliances in easily.

Power for countertop lights under kitchen cabinets

Wet bar, built in liqour cabinet in office

Cat6/hdmi/audio/OTA coax lines for living tv

At least 8ft garage door

Designed to block hot west afternoon sun from back patio

Dual ACs, one for living, one for bedrooms

Use stairwells, closets, bathrooms on west side of house to further insulate living and bedrooms from heat

Interior safe room or safe area for tornadoes

Doorless shower, dual shower heads

Dogs or young kids - small wash area in laundry
    Some good ideas

Circle drive and Generac.
    Colored cement on porch.
    We put drawers instead of fixed cabinets
    12’ granite island. I would consider putting a walkway thru the middle of the island.
    Love my “storm room”. Cinder blocks and steel door.

Comment

No glass walls or doors in showers, hot water heater NOT in attic, bathroom in garage

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
        Tankless water heater. We have the Richmond 199,000 BTU model. You never run out of hot water.
        Is that a gas or electric?

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
          Some good ideas

Circle drive and Generac.
          Colored cement on porch.
          We put drawers instead of fixed cabinets
          12’ granite island. I would consider putting a walkway thru the middle of the island.
          Love my “storm room”. Cinder blocks and steel door.
          Any feedback on why for colored cement on porch?

Comment

I wanted a stained type as opposed to plain white concrete.
            It is not too rough or too rough even with the sealer

Comment

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
              I've been told electric tankless heaters suck.

Comment

i lost my home in hurricane harvey flood and my archery shop was destroyed inside so we gutted it and built the house inside

my walls are 22" thick , the outside walls were insulated along with the ceiling when the metal building was built,, since it cleaned up well with no smell it was left in place and the interior walls and even between rooms were insulated along with the interior 8' ceiling,, so everything is double insulated with about 16" of dead air space,,, every light is led can lights,,, every wall except the kitchen has a drop line for cable or satelite tv ....

also built a very large walk in shower 5'x8' with 3 shower heads,, getting older is no fun and a wheel chair could be a real possibility so a 3' wide door is the entry with a bench built into one end, non slip tile all the way around.. a tankless water heater is on the outside wall of the shower.

in a metal building a very good cell phone booster is a must, not an option...

if building new i would absolutely go with the mini split air conditioning system, i have 6 inside units, one for each bedroom and 1 for dining 1 for kitchen and another for the laundry room., there are 3 outside units.... i can adjust each room as needed,, grand kids get cold easy they can have heat in their bed rooms and i can have ac in the rest of the house,,, if a room is not in use i can turn that unit off and close the door,,, they are quiet and can move a lot of air also... each wall unit has its on drain line to the outside and no duct work to ever worry about,,,

my electric bill runs just over $100 a month , and we really like that.... in about a 1550 foot house

since my slab was already built and never meant to be a house all the water lines are now inside one wall, one toilet goes out through the original drain line from the old bathroom in the shop and a back flush toilet goes through the wall along the inside and to the drain line,, water lines are not likely to ever freeze or even break if the slab ever cracks, also the lines are the new pex or plex ( not sure of spelling) so they are even more resistant to freezing than most..

be sure to have an exhaust fan to the outside in the bathroom because if you like hot steamy showers and they are only vented to the ceiling moisture can accumulate on the upper ceiling and make it rain back down on the interior ceiling ( made my contractor very unhappy when i made him rework the exhaust with a duct line to the outside , instead of just to the attic area,,
                Last edited by xman59; 12-15-2019, 11:20 PM.

Comment

If you have room, a separate entrance into a mud room. My mud room contains a 48x24 stainless double sink with restaurant style plumbing. Very handy for washing just about every thing of larger size. This room also contains washer and dryer and a secondary refrigerator. Water heater is in the same room, making it very accessible if replacement is needed. Storage for pet food and bulk soft drinks also. Cabinets over the washer-dryer provide additional storage. Entry from the hallway also.

The wife wanted a separate pantry room, so 8x16 room with shelves on both sides holds a lot. I now would not own a house without these two type rooms.

Comment

Forgot to add that the separate entrance is from the porch area.

Comment

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post

It's an LP Gas model.

Richmond makes units for Natural Gas and LP Gas. They also make lower BTU models. Our unit is mounted in the laundry room which is in the center of the house. The hot water gets to all the fixtures including our shop sink very quickly without using a recirculation pump.

Our shop is connected to our house. I forgot to mention a sink in the shop. I have an electric winch mounted under our storage loft where I can winch up deer for skinning/butchering. The winch is right by the sink which allow my to rinse off the meat as I cut up the deer. The winch also works great to lift my zero turn mower to service the blades.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

nice---Arrowsmith…………….

Comment

Great input all!

Comment

outlet strip under cabinets for power is a must.. and hides the outlets that would be in your backsplash... wish I had done it....

Get a Rinnai tankless gas water heater... I bought the expensive $1300 Rheem because HomeD had it, and its garbage

Comment

Originally posted by taylormade820 View Post
                              outlet strip under cabinets for power is a must.. and hides the outlets that would be in your backsplash... wish I had done it....

Get a Rinnai tankless gas water heater... I bought the expensive $1300 Rheem because HomeD had it, and its garbage
                              Humm, whats going on with the Rheem? Was about to pull the trigger on one.

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X