Broken Bow fly fishing?? Never been.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken Bow fly fishing?? Never been.

So I have a trip to Broken Bow this weekend with some buddies. Getting a cabin up there. We plan on doing a little fishing on the river there below the dam. I have no idea where to go or what the heck to throw. I’ll be throwing flys and i think they’ll be using spincast gear. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Also any good eats I need to know about in the area???

Comment

Parts of that river are barbless hooks only, so make sure to be aware of that. It was pretty crowded too. You need to eat at Shuck Me for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BDann View Post
        Parts of that river are barbless hooks only, so make sure to be aware of that. It was pretty crowded too. You need to eat at Shuck Me for sure.

Is it ok to just mash the barb down or cut it off

Comment

Last time I was there, (Oct 1997) there was a section only open to fly fishing. I was using a spinning set-up. So we fished one of the other legal areas. My buddy was using a fly rod. Forgot what kinda fly he was using. But he caught a few. I did catch my first pike in the river on a purple and pink Mepps. Missed a few other bites. We were fishing by a bridge. Campers next to us caught several on night crawlers up the river from us somewhere. They were back at camp by 9AM with limits.

Comment

Last time I went I stopped at bait shop up there and bought a little spinner. Caught about ten trout.

Comment

There’s a fly shop on one of the river crossings that’ll set you up, I think the second crossing south of the dam. There’s a pretty good restaurant between broken bow and the lake on the east side of 259. Can’t remember the name of that either [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don’t take your bow with you, there are some serious bucks cruising the hills around the river and it’ll be too tempting haha.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                  Don’t take your bow with you, there are some serious bucks cruising the hills around the river and it’ll be too tempting haha.

So I’ve heard lol.

Comment

Went back in June, didn't catch a single trout. They have quit stocking the river like they did in the past. We have been several years and this last trip was just a waste of time due to not stocking and it is getting to be such a popular tourist attraction that people are trying to float the river like it was the Fri or Guadlupe, couldn't cast at times for the tubbers and kyaks.
                    With that being said there are several good places to eat at Hochatown as well as Broken Bow. if you are a beer drinker be sure to visit the Beavers Bend Brewery and Stevens Gap is a good place to eat.

Comment

Sorry that was supposed to be on the Beveers Bend thread.
                      Last edited by Grits; 10-20-2019, 04:07 PM. Reason: Delete thread

Comment

Hopefully it’ll be stocked this time. If not I guess we’ll have to go drink whiskey or something else to kill time. Mainly just looking forward to a campfire and shenanigans. Can you use crappie jigs for trout on spinning gear? I got tons of crappie stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X