Are you the Banker or the Fisherman??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you the Banker or the Fisherman??

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greatness!

Comment

And it takes some longer than others to figure this out.

Comment

Nice! Sadly I'm sitting at my desk playing the role of the banker...

Comment

Awesome, thx for posting!

Comment

I like it

Comment

I hate that story...playing banker right now but in hopes of it paying off. In the end I dont have what the fisherman has and have to pay the price to get it. As soon as I can get my land Im out. Assuming I live long enough to get it. That is the big question....

Comment

I'm definitely the fisherman.

Comment

That’s a cool story and I get the point. I think a lot of us chase dollars because we have other goals as well. I want to fish one weekend, go hunt on my ranch the next, vacation the next, send my kids to school the next, etc etc etc. Nothing wrong with working hard to set you and your family up for continued success. Nothing wrong with sitting on the beach catching fish either. Just depends on what your goals are.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                    I'm definitely the fisherman.
                    X2! I've had way too many elderly tell me "smell the roses while you're young!

Comment

Awesome parable. Thanks for sharing that.

My $.02. Work hard for Jesus, try to provide a living (not a killing) for your family, and store your treasure in Heaven. This life is temporal and not even your posterity are taking any of it with ‘em.

Comment

Takes all kinds!

Comment

Ive been both.....wont complain one second about either phase of it. I accomplished a great deal which brings a lot of satisfaction in itself and made lifelong friends from my time in the business world. Cashed out and have lived the life of the fisherman for 17 years now. God willing, Im hoping for another 40.

Comment

I do like this story and have used a little different version in classes.

That being said, what does the fisherman tell his daughter when she wants to go to college? How does he feed the family when the hurricane ruins the fishing for months.

Nothing wrong with working hard and being productive, just keep it in balance, with enjoyment and smelling the roses.

Comment

I'm fixing to go back to fishing while I still can.

Comment

Working...
                              X