Accepted to Masters Program, Anyone from Tampa, FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accepted to Masters Program, Anyone from Tampa, FL

I just found out today that I will be starting a Masters program for Prosthetics & Orthotics in Tampa, FL in January! I will be in Tampa for 16 months and if I don't do some hunting I will go insane! Is there anybody on here that currently lives in or around Tampa or has lived there and can give me some ideas about hunting in the area?

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Don’t know that it will lead to anything but maybe go talk with the farms around Wimauma and out towards Zolfo Springs. There are lots of hogs in that area. Maybe they would let you hunt

Comment

Iguanas in the canals seems to be pretty popular.

Comment

That's great news! Congrats on getting it done. My daughter is finishing her Masters in Public Health with a focus in Research in May. Hopefully the MCAT score is solid and she can roll into Med School in July 2022.

Comment

Congratulations and good luck with your studies. Sorry, no leads other than from watching TV hunting shows about Florida which seem to indicate lots of hogs in the Sunshine State.

Comment

FL has substantially more public land than TX. The biggest deer in the state are in the panhandle and Pasco county just north of Tampa.

Hogs are considered small game on most WMA’s, season typically goes Nov-March. There are some quota hunts for hogs during the summer in some areas, and quite a few quota deer hunts available. If it is public land open to hunting that isn’t a WMA, you can hog hunt year round, including at night, without any permit or license.

If you’re into turkeys, you should be able to shoot an Osceola down there.

You can also apply for gator tags, and there is world class fresh and saltwater fishing nearby.
                Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 12-01-2021, 05:57 AM.

Comment

You could get into catching Pythons

Comment

There is a cool island down there you can hunt Sambar Deer. My quick Google search shows it's St Vincent Island, I would put in for the hunt if I were there.

Gator Grizz has some good suggestions as well. Congrats and good luck!

Comment

My son is in school in Jacksonville. Year long non resident license is cheap and covers almost everything.

Hes got a 15' gheenoe and fishes after classes a few day a week. The closest he gets to Tampa on the regular is Gainesville for trap tournaments

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                        There is a cool island down there you can hunt Sambar Deer. My quick Google search shows it's St Vincent Island, I would put in for the hunt if I were there.

Gator Grizz has some good suggestions as well. Congrats and good luck!
                        Yes. Was going to mention that but it took us 5 years to draw it and isn’t really the type of hunt you’d want to do solo. Island is boat access only and you need water, ice, etc for the whole time.

Comment

Divers in the Hillsborough portion of the bay are your best bet. I forget the name of the wma just north of town but its popular for hogs. But the pressure is way worse than what you would see in Texas over a hog. Florida man pretty much camps out and lives there family and all.

Your best bet is to switch to fishing. Shoot me a PM and I can point you to some bank spots.

Comment

I worked there for a couple months and fished every day!!

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                              FL has substantially more public land than TX. The biggest deer in the state are in the panhandle and Pasco county just north of Tampa.

Hogs are considered small game on most WMA’s, season typically goes Nov-March. There are some quota hunts for hogs during the summer in some areas, and quite a few quota deer hunts available. If it is public land open to hunting that isn’t a WMA, you can hog hunt year round, including at night, without any permit or license.

If you’re into turkeys, you should be able to shoot an Osceola down there.

You can also apply for gator tags, and there is world class fresh and saltwater fishing nearby.
                              Thank you very much! One of my biggest goals is to shoot a turkey! I will definitely spend my free time hunting and fishing (after studying)

Comment

Working...
                              X