X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Scope

Which would you prefer and why?

Redfield Rebel 4 X 12 X 40 ($99 at Academy)or the
    Vortex Rebel 4 X 18 X 42 ($149 at Academy)

Both are good companies, both have Life Time Warranties.

???? Which way should I go, these are going on AR15 and a 7.62 x 39 rifle.

Please in your replies use these two for references only, not interested in others.

THANKS

Ed, the Redfeilds I've owned in the past fell apart under recoil. But that was back in the early 1990s. And I did have them mounted on a 12ga . I'm not sure about any changes in mfg since then. But don't think you'll have to worry about that kinda recoil.

I do know and have experience with Vortex's warranty. And it also transfers to new ownership even if the scope is used. They have been very quick to make things right. Plus, "Arrowsmith" (Mike Smith) on here might can get you a better deal on that Rebel. Wouldn't hurt to PM him and ask what he can get it for. He's a Vortex rep. It can be well worth it. Was for me.
    Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-25-2021, 08:54 PM.

Comment

I think you get more bang for your buck with Leupold for comparable price points.

Comment

Which Scope

I wouldn’t really recommend either one, but would go Vortex simply for the warranty even though I’m not at all a fan of low end Vortex scopes. Good chance you’ll eventually need the warranty on a scope in that price range.
        Last edited by Raider4044; 11-25-2021, 09:51 PM.

Comment

What are you trying to do with each rifle?

You don't need that much scope on them and I would not want an 18x $150 scope nor $100 12x.

Comment

Redfield all day long ESPECIALLY in the lower price category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Interesting choices.

If that’s my only two choices
              I say redfield from experience with vortex scopes

Comment

If it has to be between those two. Redfield. Have one on my 308 that's held perfect zero 8-9 years now.(bumped around plenty - hunted in the rain, snow etc.) Same price point. Don't like it's light gathering compared to my Nikon's and Leupold, but my boy's and I have killed a ton of critters looking through that scope. I bought a couple vortex and always returned when I saw how bad they were in low light.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                  What are you trying to do with each rifle?

You don't need that much scope on them and I would not want an 18x $150 scope nor $100 12x.
                  True. 9x should be more then enough on an AR(in my opinion)

Comment

[QUOTE . . . bad they were in low light.[/QUOTE]

Very true

Comment

Redfield. Plus, with it being on sale is nice. I have one on a Remington 760 308 Gamemaster pump and it works great. But, all my shots are 150 yds and in. Most less than 100 since I mostly hunt creek and oak bottom areas. For longer distances I am no help.

Comment

Working...
                      X