No announcement yet.

Question for the electricians on here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I paid around $750 for 2 Ghost gate units, battery pack and keypad. So far, so good. The incremental cost would be a solar panel vs. running 120 VAC to the gate.

I trenched down 6” (Montana rocks), and put the direct burial 12!VDC wire from the B gate to controller in 1/2” electrical conduit, then put 300# of quick set concrete around/ above the conduit (24’).

I don’t want to ever fix a damaged wire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
      Go with solar panel(s) you can buy with your gate opener. Our Ghost gate openers can run 1 or 2 panels.

I was told I should have bought a deep cycle boat battery instead of their battery packs- by somebody in their customer tech support group. My batteries work fine now.

Same comment for lighting.

Realize the gate openers do not provide physical security/- they keep honest people honest.

Your regular batteries are fine and better for this than deep cycle. Deep cycle batteries are made to be deeply discharged and the charged back up. Regular batteries, IE, in your car are meant to be discharges a little and recharged regularly, just like a gate battery does.

Comment

I understand- but that’s what the woman in Ghost tech support suggested.

The rechargeables I bought in the black box are working just fine.

Comment

Thks. I had a feeling I’d have to go bigger than 6 which is what I was told for copper.
          I have solar down there now but wanting to light it up without being limited to the smaller solar lights on our rock columns.

Comment

Originally posted by eliteweldingco View Post
            Thks. I had a feeling I’d have to go bigger than 6 which is what I was told for copper.
            I have solar down there now but wanting to light it up without being limited to the smaller solar lights on our rock columns.

Put you a 20 or 30 watt solar panel and a set of batteries in parallel. Then just get some 12V lights. They will be plenty bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
              Are you an electrician?
              Do you realize 90% or more of all overhead lines, service drops, etc.. are located outdoors.. i have underground and overhead aluminum wiring i installed over 20yrs ago.. with no problems.

When connections are done correctly.. there is little need for worry.. same is tue for copper.
              correct/agree

Comment

Working...
              X