Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple of T posts

Comment

Have you looked at something like this https://shootsteel.com/2-emt-gong-stand-kit/

Comment

T posts and chains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve hosted a handful of shoots, and I’ve built far more target hangers of all styles than I care to think about. I’ve tried everything mentioned here in some form of another. I’ve got a few hundred foot of fire hose I no longer need after buying my first 418 target hangers. I’ve used them solely for 5ish years now, and I won’t be going to anything else. I have yet to damage one beyond use, and I use the actually hanger portion as a point of aim. Handy, quick, and durable as it gets. With chain it’s easy to damage the chain or bolts. The bolts are protected on the 418 hangers. With firehouse the bolts get eaten away eventually. The rest of the stand will get eaten away if it’s not made of AR500 as well. I’ve eaten up some T posts, but never beyond use. Even if you do just grab another one. A $4 t post will go a LONG ways.

Comment

You need to get rid of wood or any other soft material. The spall will destroy them in no time.

The item Rubi posted is great, if you want more visual from impact then t posts or pipe and chains is the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Great ideas- thanks!

Comment

I'd fab a folding Aframe out of bent rebar and use chains for the stops. That way it's portable and you could tap it with a hammer to seat it into the ground. Suspend the gong off the top bars to soak up energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  You need to get rid of wood or any other soft material. The spall will destroy them in no time.

The item Rubi posted is great, if you want more visual from impact then t posts or pipe and chains is the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                  Mike is right about the visual. We use the above stands up to 1000 or so. Any ELR targets we shoot are still suspended with chain. The above target holders provide great audible feedback, but they don’t allow the most visual feedback. At 1000+ visible feedback is more reliable than audible, and the short action cartridges we tend to shoot don’t tear up chain and bolts near as bad. If you want some fire hose I’ve got a good bit left with no current use.

Comment

sir, i have trial and errored every which way with this situation, let me share with you what i am using now and am very very very pleased with

youll need these - they absord bullets, i have a 2x6 hanging between two T posts, hanging down from the 2 x 6 are my gongs

heres what I use to hang the 2 x 6

it doesn't have to be a 2x6, its just what i had laying around and un used. I also dont hang my gongs with two per strap, I just use one strap per gong, makes it hang a little funny but works just the same and saves money
                    Last edited by ebhegele; 11-28-2021, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Sir? When I worked the 2013 season in stadium ops at Candlestick Park in SF, the Texan fans called me Sir a hundred times.

Thanks for your comments.

Comment

I bought mine off of eBay, complete with gong. It is made out of sucker rod, tubing, and bolts and nuts welded to the tubing as "clamps" to adjust the length of the legs. However, the legs are too short. The gong is about halfway buried in the tall grass. I insert the stubby-*** legs into sections of pipe to raise the whole apparatus up.

Comment

I have a couple Detroit flywheels I’ve wanted to make into gongs. These things must be tough with the wear and torque they take.

Comment

Originally posted by ebhegele View Post
                            sir, i have trial and errored every which way with this situation, let me share with you what i am using now and am very very very pleased with

youll need these - they absord bullets, i have a 2x6 hanging between two T posts, hanging down from the 2 x 6 are my gongs

heres what I use to hang the 2 x 6

it doesn't have to be a 2x6, its just what i had laying around and un used. I also dont hang my gongs with two per strap, I just use one strap per gong, makes it hang a little funny but works just the same and saves money
                            Those straps work great, mine are loaded with 10mm holes and 9mm holes and it doesn't seem to effect them at all. Plus the hanging method with the bolts like that angles the steel down so any hits efficiently get deflected down into the dirt.

Comment

Working...
                            X