Ravin R29X set up for Nilgai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ravin R29X set up for Nilgai

I've been a bow hunter for a long time but after 5 fused vertebrae and shoulder surgeries I am down to using a crossbow where legal. I drew a nilgai hunt in February and so I ordered a more modern crossbow the Ravin R29X sniper package. I have an excalibur matrix 355 that I just shot a buck 2 nights ago to end my archery season.

Since this is such a larger animal, I've looked into people who have posted about huntin elk with them. Does anyone know if the 6 bolts that come with the package are fine for this hunt or should I upgrade to something else? I'm liking the muzzy 125 gr fixed broadheads for this hunt and since I get a pro deal on them I'll probably go that route unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Also, with such a higher velocity than my other crossbow, does anyone have an idea on lethal range for this? The KE is pretty high out to 100 yards but with the possible wind in south texas, that's an unlikely range for me even if lethal.

In terms of heads, I would steer clear of the Muzzy... there's nothing to like about them anymore IMO. Better heads for same money, I would look REAL hard at the QAD Exodus. Can't speak to range, but know they're big tough animals, I'd probably try to keep it under 50 if I could. Even at xbow speeds, 100 yards is a decent amount of flight time.

Comment

IMHO RMS Cutthroat Single bevel cut on contact Make sure they clear the riser and fly true & they will blast through anything.

Comment

When you are shooting cross bow speeds fixed heads can plane badly.
        Sever 1.5 is crazy tough and should give you great flight, in most test it out penetrates many fixed heads

Comment

I've shot that crossbow out to 100 but I wouldn't at an animal. I was low about 8" s. I'd feel good shooting a large animal out to 65 with it with a little practice and no hesitations on lethality.

Comment

I had an R26 that I just sold. I used 100g Standard Slick Tricks and they worked perfectly. No issues at all out to 100 yds. I would definitely recommend them.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I’ll look into all those mentioned.

Comment

Working...
              X