Step down from Tundra to Tacoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Step down from Tundra to Tacoma

Has anyone here done this? If so do you have any regrets?

I stepped up. My Tacoma was an 2012 two wheel drive withe the 4.0. The average mpg was around 16, it just seemed very basic inside. My tundras have all been 4x4 stock trucks and average around 15mpg. I figured for that difference bigger is better.

Comment

I had an 06 Tacoma, currently drive a Tundra, and had a week long rental 2020 Tacoma. My 06 was a double cab long bed, 4x4, 4.0. It was cramped, borderline underpowered, and got about 17 mpg at best. My Tundra gets about 15, has lots more power and lots more room. Then there's the 2020. It was a 4x4 TRD with the 3.5. I was wholly unimpressed. Basically the same cramped insides as my 06, but the 3.5 was a high revving dog in that setup. My 06 was a much better "truck" than that 2020. Oh, and the new Taco cost about as much as my Tundra. In short, having had both, no way I'd swap, that's just me though.

Comment

In Austin all you see are tacoma set up for camping. I really dont see a use for that in texas but ok..

As i drive pass everyone in their tacomas i say to myself i bet the wished that had a tundra.

I had one in high school and another in college. A huge difference is that towing isnt even close to a tundra.

Comment

Every time I drive my 4x4 5.7 it’s like opening up a gas can and dumping it out the window. 15 mph is all I can get. And with gas prices going through the roof it prompted me to consider downgrading.

Comment

Why in the world you would do this, I could understand when they still had the 4.0 V6, but the current 3.5 is too too puny.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
              I had an 06 Tacoma, currently drive a Tundra, and had a week long rental 2020 Tacoma. My 06 was a double cab long bed, 4x4, 4.0. It was cramped, borderline underpowered, and got about 17 mpg at best. My Tundra gets about 15, has lots more power and lots more room. Then there's the 2020. It was a 4x4 TRD with the 3.5. I was wholly unimpressed. Basically the same cramped insides as my 06, but the 3.5 was a high revving dog in that setup. My 06 was a much better "truck" than that 2020. Oh, and the new Taco cost about as much as my Tundra. In short, having had both, no way I'd swap, that's just me though.

Sounds like the mileage difference is minimal and its well worth the slightly less gas mileage in comfort and power. I know there is no way I could fit in or drive a Tacoma comfortably. The stuff we do at the deer lease with feed and water hauling wouldn't bode well either...

Comment

I went from a tundra to a 3.6 Pentastar ram 1/2 ton 4x4. dang thing is strong and I have way more room than a taco. Not to mention you can buy a warlock addition with great gadgets at a great price.
                The e torque is suppose to get even better millage

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                  Every time I drive my 4x4 5.7 it’s like opening up a gas can and dumping it out the window. 15 mph is all I can get. And with gas prices going through the roof it prompted me to consider downgrading.
                  We had one....2 wheel drive....18mpg. Unless your making an even trade, you'll never reap the fuel mileage benefits.

There must be something wrong with your truck....most TBHers get 20-25mpg on their lifted Tundras

I own coolers that are bigger than the bed on those trucks too. They are small AF if your used to driving a full size.

Comment

If you're doing it for the gas mileage then don't. The difference is very little, Tacoma has bad gas mileage as well AND a smaller gas tank....

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post

How many miles do you drive a year?

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        We had one....2 wheel drive....18mpg. Unless your making an even trade, you'll never reap the fuel mileage benefits.

There must be something wrong with your truck....most TBHers get 20-25mpg on their lifted Tundras

I own coolers that are bigger than the bed on those trucks too. They are small AF if your used to driving a full size.
                        Seriousely?
                        Mine is not lifted and I'm lucky if I get 16 mpg...

Comment

I currently have a 2019 TACOMA TRD SPORT. I consistently get over 20 mpg. As far as performance goes? Put a sprint booster on it for a noticeable difference. If you are not sure, go drive a Tacoma and then decide. There are tons of mods out there for them too!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Why not both? lol.

I still have my 2004 4x4 Ford Ranger with the 4.0L V6 that I use for the ranch and some highway. Don't think I'll ever get rid of that truck.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                              Seriousely?
                              Mine is not lifted and I'm lucky if I get 16 mpg...
                              Pretty sure it's a joke. Along with guys in full size trucks (of any make) getting 30 mpg...

Comment

Working...
                              X