No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And there it is. There's been talk of that guy out there. I hadn't been out to Sore finger yet. Funky genetics out there. Lots of character racks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NxSTexan View Post
      And there it is. There's been talk of that guy out there. I hadn't been out to Sore finger yet. Funky genetics out there. Lots of character racks.

I saw a bunch of basket case racks out there this weekend, but he was by far the biggest. Only one group of hogs that had 7 (now 6) in it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
        Negative. Kinda. Were you down in Willis by the park mid day?
        Buddy might had seen y'all from tree stand! Said y'all were bumping deer everywhere! Might not had been you guys

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
          Buddy might had seen y'all from tree stand! Said y'all were bumping deer everywhere! Might not had been you guys
          I was hunting alone from the bridge. Bumped those hogs down to the park end. Swung the pickup to the other side and saw three guys already heading down there.

Comment

Hello everyone, new to this thread and also to Granger. Have family that lives nearby so Ill be making it out there every chance I get. Only question is, is Granger a majority spot-and-stalk type area or would a hang n hunt method be effective as well? Ive elk hunted colorado and also hunt whitetails quite frequently as well so Im open to either.

Comment

Originally posted by gsimmons2 View Post
              Hello everyone, new to this thread and also to Granger. Have family that lives nearby so Ill be making it out there every chance I get. Only question is, is Granger a majority spot-and-stalk type area or would a hang n hunt method be effective as well? Ive elk hunted colorado and also hunt whitetails quite frequently as well so Im open to either.
              You can kill hogs both ways out there, no doubt.

Comment

Hunt stands before first and last light if you want then roam around mid day and try to get on em. I was lucky enough to get drawn for deer this year and have only seen a couple from the stand and it’s usually first or last light. But I also haven’t been setting my stands up to hunt hogs.

Comment

Sweet, thanks for the info!

Comment

Sweet, thanks for the info!
                    Also- Whitetail hunting is by draw only. For hogs, you just need a license and the AHP ($43) permit to be legal out there from a license standpoint. Most hunters spot and stalk the pigs, but I stands can be effective as well. Good luck and happy hunting!

Comment

A stand is nice, but not a must for the pigs.

Comment

my experience: Both methods depends on the weather. On a clear day, the hogs won't come out till after/before shooting hours so sitting in a stand is a waste of time. It is darn hard to sneak up on a hog that is resting in a thicket doing spot-n-stalk. BUT On a misty/heavy overcast day, the hogs will be out foraging during hunting hours. On these days a stand can be effective. Spot and stalk is much easier if the quarry is also moving and making noise. So, weather is key. Spot-n-stalk is also effective on a very windy day, that covers the sound of your approach.

On a calm, clear day: go fishing!

Comment

Jonesing for Granger!!! GRXH will probably be the weekend after Heart Day, I'll be the Director for a men's ACTS retreat 21-24 Feb. Will try to make it to Granger the weekend after that. I'll be retired soon and can make a few more 2 1/2 hour treks to Granger.

Comment

Nightstalker, it also helps if you have 60+ dudes stomping around during GRXH, that gets pigs moving and maybe one will run into your arrow. It happened to me. Twice in an hour!!!
                            Last edited by Wudstix; 12-14-2018, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Well no luck on pigs today but I managed to score on this trophy. Anyone having any luck on pigs?

Comment

Originally posted by zins708 View Post
                                Also- Whitetail hunting is by draw only. For hogs, you just need a license and the AHP ($43) permit to be legal out there from a license standpoint. Most hunters spot and stalk the pigs, but I stands can be effective as well. Good luck and happy hunting!
                                48$ not 43$

Comment

Working...
                                X