Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-30-2022, 04:18 PM   #1
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Arrow Mountain Lion Management in Texas is coming

I heard about this on the radio yesterday:

TPWD to create a work group to create a plan to manage Texas mountain lions. This was from the August 25, 2022 hearing.

Quote:
On June 13, 2022, TPWD received a petition for rulemaking from the Texans for Mountain Lions Coalition. Mountain lions in Texas are classified as a nongame species under Parks and Wildlife Code, chapter 67 and TPWD does not regulate their take. The petition requested that TPWD promulgate the following specific regulations:
1) a requirement that mountain lions intentionally taken for any reason be presented to the department within 48 hours of take,
2) a 36-hour trap check requirement,
3) a regional bag limit of five mountain lions per year in South Texas, and
4) prohibition of “canned hunting” of mountain lions.

The petition also requested that TPWD:
1) initiate a statewide study to identify the abundance, status, and distribution of the mountain lion populations in Texas, and
2) form an ad hoc stakeholder advisory group composed of representatives from hunting organizations, livestock organizations, wildlife conservation organizations (non-hunting), outdoor recreation organizations (non-hunting), animal welfare organizations, independent mountain lion biologists, TPWD biologists, and TPWD policy managers to collaborate with TPWD to write a mountain lion management plan for Texas.
I know many may think I'm overreacting, but these work groups tend to lead to more and more regulations and eventually outlawing the activity. It happened in several western states. Be diligent. Watch this group closely.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 05:00 PM   #2
Johnny44
Ten Point

Hunt In: https://miamoo.org/

I agree, it leads to more regulations.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 05:15 PM   #3
RWB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

The group is actually tasked to find a way for the state to make money on Mt lions. Out come will be more regulations.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 05:22 PM   #4
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

Why not just ban mountain lion hunting altogether. It worked out well for California. Better bring Fido in the house at night though.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 05:30 PM   #5
centex_aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Milam County, Williamson County, Burnet County

Mountain Lion stamp on your hunting license will be next. Tack on $7 more.
centex_aggie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 05:32 PM   #6
Wile E.
Six Point

Thanks for bringing this up, I hadn't heard of it. The filmmaker behind it all (strike 1) lies through his teeth in the newspaper pieces they've put out.
Wile E. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 05:34 PM   #7
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

I am an avid hunter, conservationists and Texan. Personally, I believe we do need some form of study to determine if regulation is necessary for Mountain Lions in Texas. With more and more population growth, habitat is increasingly diminishing and I’d venture to say the number of hunters in the woods are increasing as well, especially with the growing “organic food” movements. I’d really like the opportunity to see mountain lions survive so my kids and their kids have that opportunity. If you believe we should have seasons, bag limits and regulations on Whitetail deer, why the heck wouldn’t you ant one on Mountain Lions?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 05:37 PM   #8
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch Counties

Won’t be long and we’ll have a mountain lion stamp. Or some other way to milk some money out of people.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 05:38 PM   #9
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
The group is actually tasked to find a way for the state to make money on Mt lions. Out come will be more regulations.
That’s what I’m thinking. The various governments just can’t get enough of our money.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 05:40 PM   #10
Wile E.
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I am an avid hunter, conservationists and Texan. Personally, I believe we do need some form of study to determine if regulation is necessary for Mountain Lions in Texas. With more and more population growth, habitat is increasingly diminishing and I’d venture to say the number of hunters in the woods are increasing as well, especially with the growing “organic food” movements. I’d really like the opportunity to see mountain lions survive so my kids and their kids have that opportunity. If you believe we should have seasons, bag limits and regulations on Whitetail deer, why the heck wouldn’t you ant one on Mountain Lions?
I agree with you that I support a study if there's not one already ongoing.

To answer your last sentence, without data there's nothing to say it's necessary. They might get along fine anyway, being an elusive species in no danger of broader extinction. I don't support limits for limits' sake, that's no more scientific than no limits for freedom's sake.
Wile E. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 05:51 PM   #11
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

We can thank Ben Masters for this most likely. The way he portrayed mountain lions and the trapping in his movie “Deep in the Heart” was pretty ugly and inaccurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 06:35 PM   #12
deerwatcher51
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Won’t be long and we’ll have a mountain lion stamp. Or some other way to milk some money out of people.
Have you ever seen any on your South Texas place?
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 06:37 PM   #13
breadman
Ten Point

and whats next after this , regulating coyotes , tags for hogs (like in cali ) just another way for them to be up our butts and in our wallet and have more goverment jobs for lazy .
breadman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 07:19 PM   #14
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
Never have. Only ones I have seen in the wild were down around Encinal. Parks and Wildlife had a collaring program. I got to go along when they collared some kittens.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 07:31 PM   #15
Hills of Texas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

More lions are in Texas now that 50 years ago. They do well enough when left alone. Keep things the way they are and they will do just fine. This is California come to Texas crap.
Hills of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 07:51 PM   #16
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by centex_aggie View Post
Mountain Lion stamp on your hunting license will be next. Tack on $7 more.
For the opportunity.........im in!
Quote:
Agreed wholeheartedly. If it helps TPWD and conservation activities it works for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
We can thank Ben Masters for this most likely. The way he portrayed mountain lions and the trapping in his movie “Deep in the Heart” was pretty ugly and inaccurate.

I saw that movie is showing at Stephen F. Austin University later in October. Did not know anything about it but i got an invitation and was actually considering checking it out..........NOPE!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 08:04 PM   #17
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Quote:
I think it would be good to take a closer look at lion management.

I’m also greatly confused as to why lions, elk, and bison are non-game animals (even though they’re all native), and pheasants have a season and are regulated.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 08:16 PM   #18
Reel cajun
Six Point

Default Mountain Lions

From some of the deer torn up in trail camera pics they are alive and well in our area in Leakey and same at buddy of mines place in Rock Springs
Reel cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 09:08 PM   #19
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
I think it would be good to take a closer look at lion management.

I’m also greatly confused as to why lions, elk, and bison are non-game animals (even though they’re all native), and pheasants have a season and are regulated.

This has always drives me crazy. Those **** birds are put on a pedestal and worshipped when who’s knows how much damage they have caused to native species. Need eradicated like feral hogs.

westtexducks is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 09:17 PM   #20
Txhunter3000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rockdale/Caldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
No but I have in Burleson County.
Txhunter3000 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 09:27 PM   #21
C-dubyah
Eight Point

I don't think you can compare a mountain lion to another species, it is unique. I have no problem with hunting them but they do need to be managed. There are a lot of folks out there being irresponsible with their methods.
C-dubyah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 09:45 PM   #22
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Barnhart , presidio , tiviolie

I am cool with a 1 annual limit and permit , and a depredation license!
And lots of species that need monitoring that don’t due to stolen funding
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 09:48 PM   #23
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Mountain Lion Management in Texas is coming

Will this regulate all the black panthers too?
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 09:54 PM   #24
boy wonder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My dreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Will this regulate all the black panthers too?
THAT may be a great way to manage the lion population, you have to kill a black lion before the less common brown ones! I personally think they’re doing just fine now, but I have no data to back that up with……
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 10:04 PM   #25
C-dubyah
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy wonder View Post
THAT may be a great way to manage the lion population, you have to kill a black lion before the less common brown ones! I personally think they’re doing just fine now, but I have no data to back that up with……
If that happens then how long before a black barn cat gets shot?
C-dubyah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 10:18 PM   #26
boy wonder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My dreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-dubyah View Post
If that happens then how long before a black barn cat gets shot?
I’m sure that ship has sailed many, many times .
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 10:21 PM   #27
sasqy
Ten Point

Hunt In: my Sasquatch Suit

Dems gonna control more and more !
Gotta put a stop to it.
sasqy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 10:25 PM   #28
deerwatcher51
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Never have. Only ones I have seen in the wild were down around Encinal. Parks and Wildlife had a collaring program. I got to go along when they collared some kittens.
I saw one one Margie’s place the last day we were on the lease. Elton and I made one last pass through the place after we had loaded all our crap, topped a hill and there one stood at the bottom of the hill, we stopped, it looked at us, we looked at it and in about two bounds, it was gone….
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 10:55 PM   #29
wtx223
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
I think TPWD would prefer this issue go away.

Authors of this petition have an agenda, and they definitely do not represent the vast majority of landowners that are actually effected by lions.

It doesn’t look like this petition wish list is going anywhere anytime soon, except for the creation of advisory committee. Lion population is thriving, maybe better than ever.

Issue definitely isn’t going to die though.
wtx223 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 11:02 PM   #30
Philip-TX
Ten Point

"Thank you for your petition"

(slams door and throws it in the trash)
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2022, 12:32 AM   #31
Longue Carabine
Eight Point

Hunt In: Medina County, Colorado

It is imperative that this **** is stopped before it gets started. Under no circumstances can we allow "stakeholder advisory groups" to decide our hunting regulations and policies. Allowing "wildlife conservation organizations (non-hunting), outdoor recreation organizations (non-hunting), animal welfare organizations (non-hunting" to control hunting is exactly the kind of bull**** that has destroyed hunting in liberal states. Get the *uck out of our state. I'm so god*amn sick of these people. And I'm equally sick of the people who are too passive, weak, and lazy to stop it.

Last edited by Longue Carabine; 10-01-2022 at 12:52 AM.
Longue Carabine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2022, 08:07 AM   #32
Geraldg6
Ten Point

Hunt In: Snook, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longue Carabine View Post
It is imperative that this **** is stopped before it gets started. Under no circumstances can we allow "stakeholder advisory groups" to decide our hunting regulations and policies. Allowing "wildlife conservation organizations (non-hunting), outdoor recreation organizations (non-hunting), animal welfare organizations (non-hunting" to control hunting is exactly the kind of bull**** that has destroyed hunting in liberal states. Get the *uck out of our state. I'm so god*amn sick of these people. And I'm equally sick of the people who are too passive, weak, and lazy to stop it.

Start lobbying against them, Chief. You seem to have the passion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Geraldg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2022, 09:06 AM   #33
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

Nope. The only management lions needs is folks “managing” to shoot one when they see it. We absolutely do not need more regulations on this.
Chance Love is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2022, 10:10 AM   #34
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Boy howdy it doesn't take much to get some of you all riled up.

I think you would welcome the chance to voice your opinions to TPW on regulations.
We get the chance up here to respond as stakeholders in whet regs are passed and changed, it actually makes a difference.
No doubt the folks behind this issue are looking to get your cats not hunted, voice your opinions and let TPW know you want responsible management, not a ban on hunting them. They are an integral part of the ecosystem but need to be managed for the benefit of your deer herds.

We have seasons and quotas up here, our lions are doing fine and we do have issues in some areas with too many. They are good money for outfitters that hunt them so take is regulated.
Some folks seem to think they are very rare but I would hope their study would show otherwise. Mt lions can be the alpha predator in an area and really hurt a local deer population, but I don't think you really want all of them gone. They have their place in nature.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2022, 10:20 AM   #35
Gary Roberson
Ten Point

Not sure I see the need for us to pay for another study. I am 69 years old and promise you that there are more lions in Texas today than at any time in my life. I agree with Chance and see no need for more regulations. If the lion is expanding it's range and populations are increasing????
Adios,
Gary
Gary Roberson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #36
Kong
Eight Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma Texas

More rules, laws and regulations always solve the problems we didn’t have to begin with. Makes total sense said no man ever with any common sense…. These people have to attempt to justify their jobs by coming up with solutions to non existent issues,,, let me guess the outcome————- “You will have to buy a tag” 100% Pure Idiots!!!!
Kong is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2022, 11:46 AM   #37
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Roberson View Post
Not sure I see the need for us to pay for another study. I am 69 years old and promise you that there are more lions in Texas today than at any time in my life. I agree with Chance and see no need for more regulations. If the lion is expanding it's range and populations are increasing????
Adios,
Gary
Best case scenario is that this study shows just what you see Gary, an increasing population. No need for protection of any kind. That is what the non hunting groups are really pushing , hoping a study shows low numbers so they can start with limiting take then saying they need protection down the line.
I still think you need some but not to the detriment of other wildlife and domestic livestock.

Get your voices heard with TPW, don't just vent on here.
Comment on this proposal.
Enough hunters stepping up and commenting will get noticed.
Document sightings, trail cam pics etc.
Evidence of a healthy population is what they need to see.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2022, 01:04 PM   #38
Texas452
Ten Point

Location: Own property in Burleson,Leon and Coleman counties.
Hunt In: Burleson Coleman Leon counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtx223 View Post
I think TPWD would prefer this issue go away.

Authors of this petition have an agenda, and they definitely do not represent the vast majority of landowners that are actually effected by lions.

It doesn’t look like this petition wish list is going anywhere anytime soon, except for the creation of advisory committee. Lion population is thriving, maybe better than ever.

Issue definitely isn’t going to die though.
Agree.
This is just the start , they will eventually want it banned.
Texas452 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2022, 01:35 PM   #39
Spiderpig1776
Six Point

Hunt In: Kinney Co.

With the way Texas parks and wildlife runs things I’d expect it to turn into joke promptly.
Spiderpig1776 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2022, 02:20 PM   #40
CarbonFlinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico, Miss. & Arkansas

Good luck seeing them in the wild unless you are trapping. Most elusive critter out there!
Hunted my whole life (Im 42yrs old) and we own property in NM unit 34 since the late 70s. Seen 2 on hunts for a split second and the rest on property trail cam 30 mins after we exit the property at the water tank. Amazing cat that will decimate the deer population. Especially when the tree huggers have relocation plan in the zone you hunt so hard your whole life for the last 20yrs! If you have that moment SHOOT!
CarbonFlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2022, 03:24 PM   #41
brokeno
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

I'm going to waste another $3.00 on a draw mountain lion hunt. It's all about the dollar.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2022, 08:26 PM   #42
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Quote:

Agreed.

Ætheling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 06:24 AM   #43
kry226
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hills of Texas View Post
More lions are in Texas now that 50 years ago. They do well enough when left alone. Keep things the way they are and they will do just fine. This is California come to Texas crap.
Agreed. No study necessary. No changes necessary.
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 07:59 AM   #44
Texashookset
Six Point

Hunt In: Webb

According to all the city people and califorkians that have moved out where we live on NextDoor there’s about 3,000 of them withiin a 15 mile radius of my house.
Texashookset is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 08:36 AM   #45
rolylane6
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texashookset View Post
According to all the city people and califorkians that have moved out where we live on NextDoor there’s about 3,000 of them withiin a 15 mile radius of my house.
To be fair, TBHers have posted pics of that many since I joined

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 09:11 AM   #46
youngbuck1
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX/ND/S.A.

Lone star outdoor show did a whole episode on this. One of the board members who claims that they are for hunting and not anti hunting, showed up to the west tx big bobcat tournament to protest. The mountain lion coalition group is absurd and not supported by any science to back their plan. It is just a step towards infringing on our rights as hunters. Pretty sure tpwd shot them down. Give that podcast a listen and they get deep into it.
youngbuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 10:06 AM   #47
Clay C
Pope & Young

How many lions are actually killed in Texas annually?
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 10:37 AM   #48
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brown Co.

[QUOTE=Hills of Texas;16428005]More lions are in Texas now that 50 years ago. They do well enough when left alone. Keep things the way they are and they will do just fine.

Really? I am an old hunter and only seen 4. (Mom and two cubs 45 years ago)
Lots more hunters, traffic snd cameras now. And it is still rare to know someone who recently saw one.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 11:16 AM   #49
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
agreed. Never understood why it was nongame anyway. There's a season for them in every other state that allows hunting them.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 06:30 PM   #50
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

I always believe in the saying, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

I don’t believe it’s broke.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top