Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-28-2022, 08:16 AM   #1
toledo
Ten Point

Hunt In: the road by your lease
Default Wrong Wind From A Sealed Blind?

I set up a couple water tank blinds for this season. With the exception of a 10x10 shooting hole, they're sealed up. Can you get away with hunting from them with a bad wind direction or same old game?
toledo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM   #2
The Crippler
Ten Point

I wouldn’t do it…always hunt the wind. I’ve been busted from a “sealed up” Maverick blind a couple times in my younger years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Crippler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 08:27 AM   #3
Rwc
Pope & Young

In my experience, deer and hogs will smell you if the wind is not right. There is nothing made that will beat a deer or hogs nose! If they are starving then you might have a chance of them tolerating you, but if not you loose!

Rwc

Last edited by Rwc; 09-28-2022 at 08:29 AM.
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 08:28 AM   #4
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

When bow hunting distances are considered a deer can wind you downwind if your buried in a hole in the ground. Always hunt the wind. Rifle hunting is different.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 08:40 AM   #5
bowhuntertx
Ten Point

I think access is just as important as your hunting location. Will you get blown out accessing the blind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
bowhuntertx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 08:45 AM   #6
texan16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

You may get lucky if they come in down wind, but the odds are against you. 100+ yds away in an elevated gun stand.....open the windows and enjoy the scenery.
texan16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 08:58 AM   #7
Bh_liberty
Ten Point

With my work schedule I can’t worry about it. I gotta hunt when I can no matter the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bh_liberty is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 09:00 AM   #8
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I think you have your answer - but No. You should not hunt it in bad wind. I tried it for many years because I didn't have time to correct it. I only saw deer when the wind was in my face.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 09:16 AM   #9
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

I do it all the time and get away with it in a sealed up pop up blind (as sealed as I can get it). I hang those earth scent wafers and freshly cut cedar (lots of cedar) and it seems to work for me. Been doing this for 20+ years. Now if I am in a tree stand or tripod I only hunt when the wind is right.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 09:30 AM   #10
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quick easy default answer is no.... I'd find some way to seal that shooting hole up though either way.

My answer is it depends. Where we hunt out west with deer come from all directions. First question?.....What is the right wind? From your blind to your feeder? Just making sure your wind is right from your feeder to your blind is not enough. That little 20 yard blind to feeder "safe zone" is a small portion of your worries. You need to know what your specific deer do. Our mature deer can and will circle pens before they enter. We also have multiple deer come from multiple directions with a high deer density and they also leave in different directions. So while you are concentrating on your target buck trying to get a shot in our little safe buffer zone, hoping he takes a few more steps in our window, Billy Ray young feeder buck and his girlfriend Blower are leaving to go get water angled behind you at a trough 700 yards away ....and could destroy your morning. Its just not as easy as saying hunt the right wind. Another thing....some of us hunt 5 hours from where we live. Skipping 3 hunts out of 4 because the wind was not right at any of your blinds or changed from the forecast wastes a lot of money real quick. You hunt while you are there... or you don't hunt. If I hunted in my backyard I could be a little more particular....and hit the default answer above.

We hunt airtight blinds with the windows closed if temps allow because of this. We do like the wind in our face or cross winds and not in an area that swirls like a hole off a ridge or hill. That's ideal but not always available. And when I say air tight, we make the effort that they are just that with silicone and weatherstripping....we don't get busted counting on the manufacturer or builder to make it air tight. We take showers each hunt and trying to come in as scent free as humanly possible. I'll wait for the right moment and open a shooting window when the deer is in where I want him or her. Its a gamble every time you open that window though. It can be in your face and blind and your wind swirls right into them. You do whatever you can to be successful. Multiple blinds for multiple wind directions help as well but if they circle the pen, its all the same location and wind direction in the grand scheme of things there. Just a few things to think about.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 10:27 AM   #11
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

You can’t know what individual deer will do. It’s not something that can be scientifically duplicated and proven. What one deer won’t tolerate another will. Best practice in my opinion is to use everything in your toolbox to get scent free, hunt when the wind is right, and hope. I’ve had really good luck with Ozonics, although a lot of folks poo-poo that method. Hogs and a coyote or two coming in from my back convinced me that it works if used correctly. YMMV.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 10:28 AM   #12
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

With ozone you can.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:37 AM   #13
macoop
Ten Point

I built a blind that I thought was airtight. Had 4 does come downwind and bust me every sit. Bought an ozonics and used it. Same 4 does came downwind on the fence line stuck their noses in the air and walked right past the blind to the feeder. Shot the doe at 13 yards. Use the wind or get an ozonics. I don’t think there is such a thing as an airtight blind.
macoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:10 PM   #14
TexasArchery_27
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River & Collin County

I would think even if the blind is perfectly sealed, your walk into the blind would be enough to ruin the hunt.
TexasArchery_27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:12 PM   #15
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertex View Post
I do it all the time and get away with it.

You have no idea how many times you’ve been busted because of it.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:13 PM   #16
EastTexun
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston County

Quote:
Originally Posted by macoop View Post
I built a blind that I thought was airtight. Had 4 does come downwind and bust me every sit. Bought an ozonics and used it. Same 4 does came downwind on the fence line stuck their noses in the air and walked right past the blind to the feeder. Shot the doe at 13 yards. Use the wind or get an ozonics. I don’t think there is such a thing as an airtight blind.
Echo this, but I would slightly change it to say use the wind AND get an ozonics.
EastTexun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:17 PM   #17
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I am sure, but have killed plenty of mature bucks and does hunting this way. No set up is ever perfect but this has worked the best for me.
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:18 PM   #18
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertex View Post
I am sure, but have killed plenty of mature bucks and does hunting this way. No set up is ever perfect but this has worked the best for me.

It’s worked well enough for me too. I hunt from Krivoman and Maverick blinds. No blind is scent proof and wind direction can change.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:20 PM   #19
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan16 View Post
You may get lucky if they come in down wind, but the odds are against you. 100+ yds away in an elevated gun stand.....open the windows and enjoy the scenery.
I used to refuse to believe I was being smelled 100 yards away elevated. Then I started only hunting good winds for those stands and my deer #s per hunt went way up.
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:25 PM   #20
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post

Limited choices with limited stand placement it is what it is and personally I wouldn’t worry about it. If I had a large property with blinds set up for every wind direction then I would certainly hunt the wind Or maybe not .

I’ve been in brushed in ground blinds with nothing but brush , hard wind at my back towards the feeder and had mature bucks walk within 3 yds of me headed towards the feeder and didn’t get busted. If it’s your day to kill then it’s your day
Bucknaked is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:46 PM   #21
Passthrough
Pope & Young

No such thing as a sealed blind they can’t smell you in….ALWAYS hunt the wind
Passthrough is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:54 PM   #22
SETXHUNT0902
Six Point

Hunt In: SETX

I do it all the time too. Gonna do it this weekend lol wind at my back blowing towards feeder AND the direction the deer come from and have never been busted. Vent closed, all windows closed. Mature east texas bucks and does at 15 yrds. Only open the window literally seconds before I shoot.
SETXHUNT0902 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 01:05 PM   #23
texan16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Freestone/Schleicher Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
I used to refuse to believe I was being smelled 100 yards away elevated. Then I started only hunting good winds for those stands and my deer #s per hunt went way up.
15 feet up in the box blind with the window closed on the side the wind is blowing from keeps me in good shape. Deer come in from every direction so there is no "good wind" for this stand. Not saying a deer hasnt ever hung up off in the woods somewhere but I have never had one blow at me or even get nervous with this set up.
texan16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 02:56 PM   #24
dgilbert
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co

Never seen a sealed blind. Is it wasp proof?
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 06:04 PM   #25
Lynn21
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

You will never Get rid of your human odor totally no matter what you do and I’m talking sprays scent covers ozonics or whatever. you’ll never totally get rid of it hunt the wind is all I can say in my opinion.
Lynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 06:17 PM   #26
Lincoln Hawk
Four Point

I've purposely human odor-bombed bow blind setups with used clothing. This is on deer that are fed with hand-thrown corn daily. It's worked more than once.
Lincoln Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 07:38 PM   #27
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman Tx , Melvin Tx And SW Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Quick easy default answer is no.... I'd find some way to seal that shooting hole up though either way.

My answer is it depends. Where we hunt out west with deer come from all directions. First question?.....What is the right wind? From your blind to your feeder? Just making sure your wind is right from your feeder to your blind is not enough. That little 20 yard blind to feeder "safe zone" is a small portion of your worries. You need to know what your specific deer do. Our mature deer can and will circle pens before they enter. We also have multiple deer come from multiple directions with a high deer density and they also leave in different directions. So while you are concentrating on your target buck trying to get a shot in our little safe buffer zone, hoping he takes a few more steps in our window, Billy Ray young feeder buck and his girlfriend Blower are leaving to go get water angled behind you at a trough 700 yards away ....and could destroy your morning. Its just not as easy as saying hunt the right wind. Another thing....some of us hunt 5 hours from where we live. Skipping 3 hunts out of 4 because the wind was not right at any of your blinds or changed from the forecast wastes a lot of money real quick. You hunt while you are there... or you don't hunt. If I hunted in my backyard I could be a little more particular....and hit the default answer above.

We hunt airtight blinds with the windows closed if temps allow because of this. We do like the wind in our face or cross winds and not in an area that swirls like a hole off a ridge or hill. That's ideal but not always available. And when I say air tight, we make the effort that they are just that with silicone and weatherstripping....we don't get busted counting on the manufacturer or builder to make it air tight. We take showers each hunt and trying to come in as scent free as humanly possible. I'll wait for the right moment and open a shooting window when the deer is in where I want him or her. Its a gamble every time you open that window though. It can be in your face and blind and your wind swirls right into them. You do whatever you can to be successful. Multiple blinds for multiple wind directions help as well but if they circle the pen, its all the same location and wind direction in the grand scheme of things there. Just a few things to think about.
Dang how y’all kill any deer then ! I know those deer well in christoval hunted it for 5 seasons! The big boys were definitely hard to get on unless you had a hot doe come in you definitely had to have a couple different blinds at each spot !
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 07:46 PM   #28
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackelford Co,

It would be nice if you could back every blind up against a deep creek or a cliff where deer have no way to circle your set up but that is rare. When people say “hunt the wind” they usually mean don’t hunt a spot if the wind is blowing directly from behind the blind to the feeder. It ain’tthat simple.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 07:47 PM   #29
Duane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady TX

Secondary question. Should you break wind in a sealed blind?

Discuss.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 07:52 PM   #30
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
Dang how y’all kill any deer then ! I know those deer well in christoval hunted it for 5 seasons! The big boys were definitely hard to get on unless you had a hot doe come in you definitely had to have a couple different blinds at each spot !

On year 15 here.....and yes you are correct.. Work quick, know your wind, don't stink like a dead fish, and hope like hell you don't get busted when the window comes open.

Wind was southwest here. Left side of pen was North. Had he been on the left side of the feeder 10-15 yards or so to the left of it, he would have been down wind of the blind. Luckily he jumped in on the correct side for me that day. I got the window open when he turned his blind eye to me and arrow in him before he made it over there.. There is no footage before the shot because I had to get the window open and get the camera rolling and shoot quick. Luckily the young deer in the pen went to water because initially he was downwind of me on the left side when I had the window still closed. I had to work quick when they both got on the correct side.. It all fell into place.

Last edited by Smart; 09-28-2022 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:53 PM   #31
Clark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.

Krivo, windows shut and ozone and I still get you busted with a wrong wind.
Soon as you open that window..
I wouldn’t do it.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 07:58 PM   #32
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilbert View Post
Never seen a sealed blind. Is it wasp proof?

Never had a wasp in my blinds unless they came in while I was hunting.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:04 PM   #33
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

If you can hand feed them till they can eat out of your hand, you shouldn't have a problem.

Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top