Can you call in a mule deer by rattling antlers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you call in a mule deer by rattling antlers

Hunters in western states claim it sometimes works but I don’t recall many stories of it being effective on Texas mule deer. Any experience rattling up muleys here?

Yes, I’ve done it.. but it’s not consistent at all from my experience. Our property is about 50/50 on whitetail & mulies. I’ve seen 130” whitetail wear out 160” mulies in a fight and wonder if the reason I rattle in more whitetail than mule deer is because of them being more “physical”?.. just my assumption.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

I had them come to a varmint call in the Chinati Mountains many times.

Comment

Well that’s definitely interesting, now I just need to line up a hunt and time it during the rut.

Comment

They will respond to rattling, but you’d be better off using a fawn bleat and using it very sparingly during the rut. I’ve killed several big ones by doing that. You call in their does and they will follow.....

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
              You hunting the Chinati’s? As in the state owned property or other?

Comment

Yep

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                  You hunting the Chinati’s? As in the state owned property or other?
                  My family owned 20,000 acres down the east slope of Chinati Peak with Bear and Cibolo creeks running through it. I worked and guided on that ranch for years when I was younger. I have been trying to get the State to open the other for many many years. That is a Travesty against the citizens of Texas and a gross misuse of public lands. JMHO

Comment

fawn bleat is best

Comment

My family owned 20,000 acres down the east slope of Chinati Peak with Bear and Cibolo creeks running through it. I worked and guided on that ranch for years when I was younger. I have been trying to get the State to open the other for many many years. That is a Travesty against the citizens of Texas and a gross misuse of public lands. JMHO
                      I have always hear it was right of way access issues.

I agree though, I am dumbfounded why it isn’t rolled up in the drawing system as a minimum like Black Gap or others are. It seems to be a true treasure.

That being said, I was fortunate enough to to hunt BBRSP to the east second year it opened to the public. There were some true monsters there. I saw one that was taken by a hunter and managed great representative specimen myself that the guy above this posting mounted for me.

I hear BBRSP is not what it used to be, but not first hand knowledge. I hope not.
                      Last edited by Greenheadless; 08-25-2022, 05:20 PM.

Comment

BBRSP had a huge die off and the quality was not there when I went several years ago, hopefully it is on the rebound. My first trip to BBRSP my brother and I both got good deer. Killed a great buck on Elephant mountain in 1987 but have not been since then.

Comment

I was going to say, I don’t know if they will respond to rattling, but I can, we th out a doubt state they will come to a squealing Jack rabbit. Hunting spots along the caprock, I call in herds of mule deer as often as I do coyotes

Comment

Elk Inc, Deer Call.
                            Works terrific.

Comment

Yes, but fawn distress works better in the rut. We have called does to 8 yards with bucks right in tow

Comment

Working...
                              X