Mitchell's cut in Sargent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitchell's cut in Sargent

Does anybody know if a 34 foot boat can access the gulf from the cut? I heard you can and can't. Or do you have to go intercoastal to Matagorda or Freeport?
    Attached Files

I’ve read it’s dicey even in smaller boats

Comment

No way I'd try that. Just use the river in Matty.

Comment

Lots of boats run out of there but you do have to know where you’re going. The channel runs to the sw, if you go east too soon will you will end up on a sandbar. If you’re going to run out of there I’d following someone out.

Comment

I went out of there one time with a guy in a pretty big boat. He lives down there and knew the cut and made it look easy. I would never do it on my own, looked like we were running through mud that day but had an awesome trip and came back in with a boat load of fish.

Comment

I've seen some pretty big boats run in and out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by kurt68 View Post
              Does anybody know if a 34 foot boat can access the gulf from the cut? I heard you can and can't. Or do you have to go intercoastal to Matagorda or Freeport?
              We were fishing from the bank on the Matty side of the cut one day and watched 2 large boats get stuck on sandbars out in the mouth. One managed to get off of it and get on thru but it took them about 2 hrs of maneuvering to do it. The other one, and smaller of the two, had a boat come out and try to pull them off and failed. It went back in and left them there. The surf was hammering away at it the whole time. They were still stuck when we left at sunset that evening. It's got to be an eerie feeling to be in that situation as the sun goes down.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

“Jack it up, and think light!”~Matthew Brassell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My shrimping buddies go out of it all the time , but they know what they’re doing

Comment

Was just down there a couple weeks ago and seen numerous offshore boats fly through it. Stay close to the matagorda side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hasn't the San Bernard river been dredged recently ?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                        You can see the dredger running in the Google Earth image from January of this year. It was a pain to get that permitted and going.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                          Yes they did but from what I heard it is silting in already. I was down there about a month ago, it looked nice.

Comment

Originally posted by centex_aggie View Post
                            You can see the dredger running in the Google Earth image from January of this year. It was a pain to get that permitted and going.
                            Looks like they have a ways to go. Be nice when finished. We used to run thru the cut many moons ago in a Grady White Sailfish. We ran aground a few times & it was a chore to get it floating again.
                            Thx

Comment

Like others said above, it is always a dicey situation.

I have done it about 15 times in 21 footer and everyone on board is crossing their fingers. Definitely need to know where you are going.

Comment

Working...
                              X