Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-12-2022, 09:53 PM   #1
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado
Default Copperhead study

May have already been posted in the past
https://www.susquehannockwildlife.or...kvy7w32jHWLSoo
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2022, 10:06 PM   #2
SL1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Great article! Thanks for posting, very good information.
SL1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2022, 10:13 PM   #3
gonehuntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone,Navarro,Llano

That was a good read.
gonehuntin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2022, 10:15 PM   #4
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

i don't know about that study; to me the most aggressive pit viper is the cotton mouth.
and a copperhead will sit there and let you step on them and then bite the **** out of you.

just my life experience... had a few close calls but never been bitten by any venomous snake though.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2022, 10:18 PM   #5
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
i don't know about that study; to me the most aggressive pit viper is the cotton mouth.
and a copperhead will sit there and let you step on them and then bite the **** out of you.

just my life experience... had a few close calls but never been bitten by any venomous snake though.
I saw the study on the cottonmouth several years ago and canít find it anywhere. It was actually on video and if I remember correctly it was about 30-45 min of the same type of stepping near, on and grabbing and very few did much in response. Now, absolutely exceptions to the rule and no doubt some are likely aggressive for one reason or another.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:49 PM   #6
planomustang
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise/Montague County Line

I grew up in an area that was casually named, "CopperHead County". That name had something to do with floods/burns along Denton Creek, back in the 1950's. Basically, the copperheads were killed in one area, or pushed to "CopperHead County".

I have dealt with them, all my life. They don't scare me, at all, but I am always looking for them, when I am poking around brush, trash, equipment, etc. My cousin and I used to catch them bare-handed, then move them out.

They are not aggressive, and they let you know they are there. If you uncover one, it will typically move enough, so you can see them.

Just like I don't kill coyotes, for no reason, I don't kill copperheads, that are not close to a dwelling. Both kill rats and mice, which are a bigger problem for me, as a rancher.

Dogs change the equation. I have a great Border Collie working dog. I finally got him to do snake avoidance, but before that, every snake was a target. I used the snakes we found, to teach him avoidance. It worked!
planomustang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2022, 10:53 PM   #7
bobby314
Ten Point

Off with their heads!
bobby314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2022, 11:24 PM   #8
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

I kill every **** Copperhead I find on my place. My *** they wonít bite you!
Tx.Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2022, 11:32 PM   #9
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Timber Rattlesnakes are the easiest going snake I've handled. They'll bite you don't get me wrong but there's a reason those religious snake handlers only handle Timber Rattlesnakes and Copperheads and not Prairie Rattlesnakes or Massasaugas. Because Timbers have an easy going temperament and Copperheads have the least toxic bite of any venomous snake in North America. They're not completely stupid they know this. A Copperhead bite is a lot easier to kick without medical treatment than a Mojave Green.

"The power of Jesus healed me." Yeah or your healthy immune system did. "This rattlesnake won't bite me because I have the holy spirit in me." Uh huh.....or it just doesn't want to bite you.

Last edited by okrattler; 07-12-2022 at 11:35 PM.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2022, 11:46 PM   #10
El Viejo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
Timber Rattlesnakes are the easiest going snake I've handled. They'll bite you don't get me wrong but there's a reason those religious snake handlers only handle Timber Rattlesnakes and Copperheads and not Prairie Rattlesnakes or Massasaugas. Because Timbers have an easy going temperament and Copperheads have the least toxic bite of any venomous snake in North America. They're not completely stupid they know this. A Copperhead bite is a lot easier to kick without medical treatment than a Mojave Green.

"The power of Jesus healed me." Yeah or your healthy immune system did. "This rattlesnake won't bite me because I have the holy spirit in me." Uh huh.....or it just doesn't want to bite you.
I was just gonna say the same thing about the Copperheads. It seems that when I've seen documentaries on the snake handlers, they've got Copperheads. Growing up in South Texas, I've never been around Timber Rattlers. I'd love to come across one some day. I do find them to be one of the more beautiful Rattlers. Not as pretty as a West Texas Blacktail, but still a very attractive animal!
El Viejo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2022, 11:47 PM   #11
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

I stepped on one last weekend. Had to check my shorts when it was all said and done. He lost his head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bloodstick is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 01:38 AM   #12
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
I was just gonna say the same thing about the Copperheads. It seems that when I've seen documentaries on the snake handlers, they've got Copperheads. Growing up in South Texas, I've never been around Timber Rattlers. I'd love to come across one some day. I do find them to be one of the more beautiful Rattlers. Not as pretty as a West Texas Blacktail, but still a very attractive animal!
They're definitely cool lookin. But I think that about a lot of snakes. They're all neat lookin in their own way. I think that's one thing that's fascinating about any reptile. There are a lot of pretty animals out there but if you look at it from the standpoint that I do I think it's easier to appreciate just how amazing they are. The details of their patterns and things like that. Some people go to an art gallery to see what they consider art. Snakes,lizards and turtles are a work of art if you really pay attention. They look like designs and random colors painted on them but they were made that way for a reason.

Take the Gaboon Viper for example. One of the most feared snakes of all time. Those leaf and banana shapes on its body were put there for a reason. Detail like that wasn't no accident. Some say snakes are a representation of Satan. But I think God put some of his finest detailed work on them. Seems to me he'd make something evil a lot less aesthetically appealing to look at if that were entirely true. When serpents were created they weren't just cobbled together.

I think if he'd have taken the time to make humans as perfect we'd all be pretty happy. He didn't spend a lot of time working on people. I think he was late for something when he created humans. No snake is mean by nature or without cause. It's just us that are that way.

Last edited by okrattler; 07-13-2022 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:05 AM   #13
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
Haha, I was thinking the same thing as I read it.

I've been lied to soo much lately I don't really know who / what to believe anymore, except what I've personally experienced.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 03:43 AM   #14
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

these little suckers are satans spawn! landed me in ICU for 3 days. Kill em all with fire!

Name:  bite1.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  ch1.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  131.4 KB
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 04:18 AM   #15
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
Yep...
I'm convinced Copperheads, haven't read the article....
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 06:25 AM   #16
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brown Co.

I was raised in rural Northwest Harris county in the 60ís and 70ís in the pines and yaupons. Tons of copper heads and water snakes/copperheads. My farm in centerville had both too

My experience with copperheads says some will run and some just lay there and let you accidentally get your hands or feet in striking distance. We killed hundreds of them in the yard. Every wood or brush pile was a good chance to encounter one.

Moccasins would seldom flee like the water snakes. No really aggressive in my experience. I hated them Ďcause I bank fished a lot of tanks and would come upon them resting/sunning near the waters edge. I smelled a few before I saw them. Never killed many of them Ďcause I was fishing and never had a firearm handy.

Interesting study, but I ainít giving either species a pass.
Thanks for the link
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 07:24 AM   #17
Uncle_Milty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine, CO

Yeah......every coppermouthcoralrattler I see will get a free ride out of this life! I have too many kids running around my place to worry about. King Snake is the only that gets a pass from me.
Uncle_Milty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 07:29 AM   #18
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Screw them camoed bastages
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 07:38 AM   #19
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Must have been a 3%'R on my porch the other night

I am not killing every snake I see anymore but I am killing every copperhead and watermoccasin I cross paths with
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 07:38 AM   #20
DedDuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bermuda Triangle

To me that study is flawed. Snakes use heat to sense movement. If theyre using a unoccupied boot or glove to study a snakes reaction, theres a good chance that the snake doesnt see the object as alive.
DedDuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 08:04 AM   #21
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedDuk View Post
To me that study is flawed. Snakes use heat to sense movement. If theyre using a unoccupied boot or glove to study a snakes reaction, theres a good chance that the snake doesnt see the object as alive.
Good point DD.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 08:14 AM   #22
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

I had Hedges against front of house for 35y or so Killed 4-6 copperheads in and around them a year.I think they were drawn to hedges for Camelons and Geckos that lived and sunbathed in them few years ago I pulled all hedges and put white rocks..Aint seen a copperhead since...
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 08:17 AM   #23
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch Counties

If they’re so gentle why didn’t they just use their own hands and feet? Was that article written by Biden’s press secretary?
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 08:21 AM   #24
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickerpatch59 View Post

I agree with you. I have tons of cottonmouths and copperheads on my place. I've seen the cottonmouths actually gang up and come after something in the water or on the banks. And I've seen Lonesome Dove! I've seen cottonmouths do exactly what they did in that movie, although not quite as many snakes.

And copperheads, I used to pick them up a lot. When handled gently, they are pretty docile and I will give them an opportunity to leave the area. If they don't ... too bad, so sad.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 08:54 AM   #25
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

Thatís an odd study. I would have liked them to simulate a real life scenario. Like someone walking at a normal pace, coming right up on the snake and stepping on it. Not gently laying a boot next to it or on it.

And, they didnít disclose the reactions of the snakes in relation to temperature. That would have been interesting.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 08:58 AM   #26
bermise
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

Oh that article will produce much butt hurt here. Nothing tougher than grown men panicking over a small reptile.
bermise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 09:05 AM   #27
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Seems like a flawed test, but there’s still plenty to be learned from the fact that they screwed with almost 70 snakes and only a couple bit. I’ve seen lots of videos of people messing with water moccasins as well, and they’re also clearly reluctant to bite, and never go after people, regardless of the fact that people swear that cottonmouths have “chased” them several times.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 09:09 AM   #28
N.DaWoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Just because a scorpion isnt agressive doesnt mean i dont kill it, same goes for all venomous snakes at my residence. None are on the verge of extinction, and there are plenty non-venomous ones that can keep their place in the ecosystem moving. My families lives are more important than making snake lovers happy. One bite is all it takes, so still purging evil around our place.
N.DaWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 09:27 AM   #29
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

I have plenty of copperhead here, not so many around the house now with all the feral cats that hang around. I have actually picked one up that was laying under a 2x4 that I picked up. All that joker wanted to do was get away. And he did!!! Cause I threw him as far as I did with the 2x4!!!
Been around a few timber rattlers at my place in east Texas and have yet seen one strike. Watched my brother play with one and never struck even though he tried to make him.
Have walked up on water moccasins and had them hiss at me like a mad cat. Cottonmouths donít get a pass!!
sqiggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 09:34 AM   #30
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
Seems like a flawed test, but thereís still plenty to be learned from the fact that they screwed with almost 70 snakes and only a couple bit. Iíve seen lots of videos of people messing with water moccasins as well, and theyíre also clearly reluctant to bite, and never go after people, regardless of the fact that people swear that cottonmouths have ďchasedĒ them several times.
When my son was 5-6 we came across a CM coiled up next to a cypress stump. We took a knee about 4 feet from it and I gave my boy a lesson. I poked that thing, tapped it on the head gently and all it ever did was open his mouth.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:34 AM   #31
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Sounds like a study by a bunch of snake hugger cavalry folks skewed to get folks to not kill venomous snakes...

Name:  cavalrly flag snakes finished.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  1.10 MB
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 09:49 AM   #32
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Sounds like a study by a bunch of snake hugger cavalry folks skewed to get folks to not kill venomous snakes...

Attachment 1094923
I kill venomous snakes, but it still cracks me up when I see people misidentifying them with 100% certainty, or swearing up and down that one chased them for 50 feet.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 10:32 AM   #33
coop2564
Ten Point

Hunt In: STX, NTX, OK and Louisiana!

Both my grandfathers lost appendages to copperheads. One was bit on little finger by copperhead that was under lawnmower had to cut off that finger. The other was teenager picking corn and got bit on toe and they had to cut it off. I dont care what this says, they are dangerous. These people saw the snake and I'm sure moved in a careful manner around it. What this study doesn't show is the surprise of a child or adult that doesn't know the snake is there and steps on it or very close to it. Or as walking directly toward it and snake can think the rapid approach is a attack and be more defensive. Lightly setting a boot with no crushing weight or human attached to it, is far from a real live person.
coop2564 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 10:38 AM   #34
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

Iíve killed 4 copperheads this year on my little 4 acres. This is me just doing yard work and cutting trees. Iím sure if I really looked for them I could find more. Our cats have become great snake killers in their own right, they kill them and bring them to show me, good kitty!
Tx.Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 10:59 AM   #35
tward1604
Eight Point

Hunt In: wherever I can

Only snakes that have ever tried to bite me was a rattle snake I stepped on. Luckily my girlish scream and adrenaline fueled super vertical caused it to miss.

The other snake was a copper head that bit the heal of my boot when I stepped past it. I stomped the snot outta it like an Angora goat dancing an Irish jig.
tward1604 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 11:17 AM   #36
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

That study mirrors my experience to a tee. I’ve been hunting venomous snakes most of my life. I have video of me trying to get a copperhead to strike me but all it wanted to do was get away.
Geezy Rider is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 11:38 AM   #37
okrattler
Pope & Young

I think if they had ran the glove under hot water or something they'd have had more strikes. But of course that's just a theory but it would make sense to me. Snakes don't want to bite anything that's not food if they don't have to. That's why rattlesnakes have rattles and the ones that don't have camouflage. They'd much rather avoid having to waste their venom on something that they can't eat.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:38 PM   #38
Martin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson County and Oklahoma.

I was one of the 2 of 69.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 12:54 PM   #39
Jay-J
Six Point

Hunt In: The Woods...P*** on it. I don't care if my profile pic is sideways!

I agree with the others on the cottonmouths! I kill em all! Had one come at me in the water and one come at me on land!
Jay-J is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 12:57 PM   #40
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

Wish I would have read this before knocking 4 out in my front yard. I would have used tall gloves to relocate instead of swinging a hoe like a mad man. It does give me confidence that I can hunt them in crocks instead of snake boots

bmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 01:12 PM   #41
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

I have been around snakes all my life, as have most of us who spend lots of time outdoors. I have had two very good opportunities to be bitten by copperheads and neither struck at me. I’ve also had two opportunities to be bitten by cottonmouths and BOTH struck, but one hit the sole of my boot and the other the hem of my jeans. I can tell you that I was almost walking on water trying to dislodge that last one. He was a little feller but looked like an anaconda to me. Regardless of studies though, I will continue to kill any venomous serpent that I’m able to. We have plenty of harmless snakes to eat the mice.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 01:24 PM   #42
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I have been around snakes all my life, as have most of us who spend lots of time outdoors. I have had two very good opportunities to be bitten by copperheads and neither struck at me. Iíve also had two opportunities to be bitten by cottonmouths and BOTH struck, but one hit the sole of my boot and the other the hem of my jeans. I can tell you that I was almost walking on water trying to dislodge that last one. He was a little feller but looked like an anaconda to me. Regardless of studies though, I will continue to kill any venomous serpent that Iím able to. We have plenty of harmless snakes to eat the mice.
IM right there with you but other way around for me it was copperheads that bit my boot. Kill em all.
dclifton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 01:32 PM   #43
Texas452
Ten Point

Location: Own property in Burleson,Leon and Coleman counties.
Hunt In: Burleson Coleman Leon counties

My daddy, 2 SIL and myself have been bitten by copperheads.
Texas452 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 01:32 PM   #44
SCHC
Four Point

Hunt In: McLennan Co. & Falls Co. in a Leaky T-Box

My attitude with copperheads changed after I got nailed on the foot. They are not loving kind creatures. Taking a no prisoners approach now.

BTW Copperhead venom stings like a B***H !
SCHC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 01:43 PM   #45
be12hunt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montell, TX

What that study tells me is that if basically 69 times I come across a copperhead I will get bit at least once. I don’t like those odds whenever I tromp through woods. If I can extend the amount of time it takes me to come across 69 copperheads I will kill everyone I see.
be12hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 02:25 PM   #46
RangerRick2012
Ten Point

Hunt In: United States and its territories

Good article. We have come across these critters (usually in pairs) and have always relocated them, after our initial start has subsided. Not a fan of indiscriminate killing.
RangerRick2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 02:40 PM   #47
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas452 View Post
****! Is not paying attention genetic? Jesus jumpin Christ that's gotta be some kind of record.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:57 PM   #48
muy grande
Four Point

Hunt In: pottsboro

Cottonmouths seem aggressive to me, at least that’s my experience. I don’t necessarily think of copperheads as aggressive, but step next to one and they will bite. If I see one and have the means, I kill them.
muy grande is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 07:37 PM   #49
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Everywhere I can

Yeah, if you step on them, theyíll bite.

You can see the venom all over my boot.

But some will not.

rjtkdplus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-13-2022, 08:05 PM   #50
Jtrage
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas452 View Post

And how did it turn out? Genuinely curious. Obviously you are still alive but would like to know how it turned out.

Jtrage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top