Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-28-2022, 02:03 PM   #51
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
not because of anything going on in life, but back in the 90s before technology. before internet, cell phones and such were common. Life was so much more relaxed and laid back. yes I was a kid, but even my parents lives were so much simpler and outdoor centered. Look back at hunting before the technology and scent control and attractants and gps and such. Just good times. I still love deer camp, but I also miss deer camp of the old days. I am guilty I cant hardly sit on a stand without my phone anymore, This year one of my goals is to hunt with no phone.
I agree. I think people were probably a lot more outdoor oriented before cellphones came along. I'm just as guilty like you said. It's easy to sit down and automatically have the world at your fingertips and kind of put everything else on the back burner for the time being. The majority of the world lives through their phone.

Technology is good but I think it keeps people from really getting out there and living life at times.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 02:27 PM   #52
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
You ignore me but still you're here? That does make sense.

There's an ignore list on here somewhere if you're having that much difficulty with it. Figure out how to use it and it won't be a problem. Might as well because I can assure you you're a hell of a lot more concerned with what I do than I am with what you say or do. By a long shot.
Ha! Ive heard that from you before, then we hear about how things bother you. So, which is it?
slayr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 02:43 PM   #53
Rush2Judge
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood County

BKW (Before Keyboard Warriors). I guess I'm a grumpy old fart. Take me back before the internet and before cell phones.
Rush2Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 02:56 PM   #54
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

If I could relive a time knowing what I know now, Id take 0 - 20. Id apply myself and actually try in academics and athletics. Id dang sure take a do over.

If I have to go into it blind, give me the next phase of my life. None of the past has ever been a bed of roses for me. Hopefully, as I begin to seriously ponder retirement and what that looks like, the next phase will be a little more fun. Well see
mikemorvan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 03:32 PM   #55
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch Counties

I’d go back to my early twenties. I spent three years with a hot chick that enjoyed one particular thing as much as I did. Went went fishing several times a day.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 04:47 PM   #56
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayr View Post
Ha! I’ve heard that from you before, then we hear about how things bother you. So, which is it?
I don't know that you've heard of much that bothers me. Seeing things you posts don't phase me one bit. Matter of fact I don't think about you at all until you make your presence known. It doesn't affect me one way or another. But obviously a few people here don't like a lot of what I say and they let me know about it. Which does about as much good as talking to a stump because I don't think about it after I read it. Because why would I care what someone I've never met or ever will meet thinks about me? I have better things to do than follow certain people around this website contradicting everything they say.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:02 PM   #57
rolylane6
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise county

I believe Chairman of the Board had it right...
"The best is yet to come"

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 06:14 PM   #58
okrattler
Pope & Young

It wasn't all that long ago we didn't have all this "woke" stuff out in the world. That'd be pretty awesome if we could do without that again. Pride in our country,respect for law enforcement. That shouldn't be too much to ask for. But maybe it is....I don't know.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:25 PM   #59
J Wales
Eight Point

Hunt In: Taylor County, Colorado and NM

I'd go back to 1982...

J Wales is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 07:57 PM   #60
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

October 15th 2021 up until now. Sold all cattle then and completely retired to full time piddler. I've got 12 game cameras running and pull cards about every 2 days. Sending deer, hog, coyote, and bobcat pics to my Grandkids is a blast. Never thought I would enjoy nothing to do, but I love it.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 07:59 PM   #61
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
October 15th 2021 up until now. Sold all cattle then and completely retired to full time piddler. I've got 12 game cameras running and pull cards about every 2 days. Sending deer, hog, coyote, and bobcat pics to my Grandkids is a blast. Never thought I would enjoy nothing to do, but I love it.
You have the best thing to do bud. It's called, whatever you wanna do. Enjoy.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:16 PM   #62
EarleyBird
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
I got to thinking about things that I have seen in my lifetime and that you don't see much of anymore. Also what time in my life I'd go back to if I could rewind time. I'm an '89 model so I don't have a lot to compare it to. But you hear people talk about "the good ol'days", if ever there was such a thing. But things seemed simpler even in the 90's. Maybe partly because I was a kid. So of course it seemed that way to me.

But anyways I started thinking about how arcades are now a thing of the past and I'm sure there are more I could think of. Also going to McDonald's and not spending $10 for a Big Mac and fries and a drink. Just to name a few small noticeable things. Not as many cellphones could also be mentioned. That's one thing I've seen change for sure in my lifetime. Used to hardly anyone had one. Now it's rare to see someone who doesn't.

So having said that if you could have one time period at any point in your lifetime and live it right now over again what would it be? For me it's the 90's. It might not be as cool as an adult but I'd give it a go.
I think if I could re-live any point of my life it would be when my two oldest kids were little. I was gone a lot, making a living, and missed a bunch of their stuff that I only got to see in pictures. Life/work has changed since then so I've gotten to really be there for the youngest.

We don't realize what's really important until it's too late to go back.

Great thread.
EarleyBird is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 08:24 PM   #63
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Ages 19-34.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 09:04 PM   #64
Jon Stewart
Eight Point

Being married to my beautiful wife Chris. We met in 1970 after I got home from Viet Nam and I was a mess. She married me under 4 conditions. If I taught her how to fish, shoot a bow, quit drinking and quit smoking. To this day at 73 I still don't drink or smoke. She was a poor farmers daughter and I grew up with nothing. We met and it was love at 1st sight. We did everything together. She became a nurse and I became a police officer. We took up running, then bicycling then triathlons. We also took up self contained cycling. The absolute best time was our ride across the United States from Washington to Maine. Never an issue and had the best time ever. I see male and female cyclists today riding together I get jealous. I buried my beautiful Chris almost 4 years ago as cancer stole her from me. Man I really miss her.
So to answer your question. My almost 48 years with my Chris.

Last edited by Jon Stewart; 09-28-2022 at 09:08 PM.
Jon Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:42 PM   #65
RifleBowPistol
Pope & Young

My later teens, and 20s definitely, wild times, lots of drinking, lots of females, racing cars, lots of fishing, hunting, shooting, dirt bikes, and just generally crazy stuff often. I worked hard, the hours of the day, I was not at work, I found something to do, that was entertaining. I was never home, never watched movies, TV, had no idea what was going on in the world and did not care. I was proof you can survive on 2 hours of sleep a day, or 2 hours every other day.

Today, my body could not handle 2 days of life, like I lived when I was in my early 20s, but not mean I would not try.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:47 PM   #66
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stewart View Post
Being married to my beautiful wife Chris. We met in 1970 after I got home from Viet Nam and I was a mess. She married me under 4 conditions. If I taught her how to fish, shoot a bow, quit drinking and quit smoking. To this day at 73 I still don't drink or smoke. She was a poor farmers daughter and I grew up with nothing. We met and it was love at 1st sight. We did everything together. She became a nurse and I became a police officer. We took up running, then bicycling then triathlons. We also took up self contained cycling. The absolute best time was our ride across the United States from Washington to Maine. Never an issue and had the best time ever. I see male and female cyclists today riding together I get jealous. I buried my beautiful Chris almost 4 years ago as cancer stole her from me. Man I really miss her.
I'm sorry for your loss sir.

And if it means anything to you, thank you for your service.
Old 09-29-2022, 08:01 AM   #67
MisterB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

My special time was an Alaskan caribou hunt back in nineteen eighty three. I was in perfect physical shape. Spent 7 days on the Alaskan peninsula. Flew 50 miles south out of Pilot Point. Awesome country. Wonderful time with two good friends and fellow hunters. Both are now gone. Youth escapes you rapidly. If you still have your youth take advantage of it while you can. Memories like that trip are priceless.
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 08:14 AM   #68
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Quote:
I am very sorry for your loss of your partner and friend. You all have a great life it sounds like and memories of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 08:22 AM   #69
Orlando
Nubbin' Buck

There are people, 3 bird dogs, and things I miss. But basically, I remember all phases of my 60 years fondly. However, I look forward to and work to set myself up for some good times ahead!
Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 11:23 PM   #70
rolylane6
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise county

Quote:
Brother, after your testament to her, I miss her for you. What a wonderful and blessed marriage you shared together. I'm sorry for the grief you've suffered but you haven't lost her. She just needed a head start in decorating your forever home before you get there.
My prayers are with you Jon

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 11:26 PM   #71
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarleyBird View Post
I think if I could re-live any point of my life it would be when my two oldest kids were little. I was gone a lot, making a living, and missed a bunch of their stuff that I only got to see in pictures. Life/work has changed since then so I've gotten to really be there for the youngest.

Great thread.

You nailed it Heath, my man!

hoythunter02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 11:40 PM   #72
Redlegwar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collin County-Grayson County

Coming back home from Iraq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Redlegwar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 11:45 PM   #73
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

For me , I loved coaching T - Ball. Kids were so inocent & spoke their mind.

I hope to get the chance with my grandson coaching him in T ball.
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 06:08 AM   #74
Passafist
Eight Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

Right here right now! The past is the past and it made me what I am now. No way on earth would I want to change anything. Today is the best day of my life!
Passafist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 10:15 AM   #75
Machintis
Nubbin' Buck

I lived in Russia as a missionary for a few years and those days were sweet. I remember traveling across Siberia in a train drinking tea and just watching the countless trees go by. Such an interesting place. Lots of crazy stories too from the locals like that they have wolves the size of horses. Probably pulling my leg, but it was fun. So many memories there. I was also a mountaineering guide in Colorado for a couple of years and I have memories of sitting on the top of peaks we climbed just marveling at God's creation.
Machintis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 01:19 PM   #76
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

Back when Coke was still cola and a joint was a bad place to be.

curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 01:35 PM   #77
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarleyBird View Post

Great thread.

So many people miss the point in this post. People get so hung up in chasing $$ that they lose sight of what they are losing in exchange. Time is the biggest thief and you can never get it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 01:46 PM   #78
kaizen
Eight Point

For me, its right now.
kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 01:58 PM   #79
breederbuck33
Ten Point

No greater time than right now!
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 02:24 PM   #80
rut-ro
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

I will say today as well
Its hard to pick a certain time in my life. But my upbringing for sure made the person I am today. My parents were broke, both high school drop outs who had various jobs to make ends meat. We bounced from rent house to rent house and many times did not have electricity. I finally found out when I was in my teens why my dad would go out to the curb at night and we would have about 1 hour for all of us to take a shower. Taking all of our clothes' to the washeteria and going to wait in food bank lines to get food for the week. I had no idea what was going on until I made it to high school and realized we were poor. My sister dropped out of school, keeping the family tradition of dropping out going strong. Give me a few years and I followed in her footsteps after 3 high schools in 4 years I dropped out as well. The next week I caught a bus to UH Main campus and challenged the GED and passed it on my first try. Started working at a point of sale company making better money than my parents had ever made. Enrolled in HCC and eventually finished my associates degree. enrolled in SHSU where it took me a total of 14 years to achieve a BS in Criminal justice and paid for it as I went no loans. During all that time I met my wife had a child, paid off everything including the house and cars. we have been able to buy my parents an acre of land across from our farm and put a trailer house on it for them so we don't have to worry about them. Life is not always easy, even when you don't know any better but cherish everyday because you never know when tomorrow wont be there for you
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 02:24 PM   #81
Philip-TX
Ten Point

Pretty awesome right now.

Retired now have a my 1yo grand-daughter who "helps me" feed cows, ride in the cam-am, fish, and anything else SHE WANTS TO DO.

Funny how grandkids give you patience......I now understand "wrapped around her little finger" and "spoiled rotten" a little better.
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 02:30 PM   #82
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
I will say today as well
Its hard to pick a certain time in my life. But my upbringing for sure made the person I am today. My parents were broke, both high school drop outs who had various jobs to make ends meat. We bounced from rent house to rent house and many times did not have electricity. I finally found out when I was in my teens why my dad would go out to the curb at night and we would have about 1 hour for all of us to take a shower. Taking all of our clothes' to the washeteria and going to wait in food bank lines to get food for the week. I had no idea what was going on until I made it to high school and realized we were poor. My sister dropped out of school, keeping the family tradition of dropping out going strong. Give me a few years and I followed in her footsteps after 3 high schools in 4 years I dropped out as well. The next week I caught a bus to UH Main campus and challenged the GED and passed it on my first try. Started working at a point of sale company making better money than my parents had ever made. Enrolled in HCC and eventually finished my associates degree. enrolled in SHSU where it took me a total of 14 years to achieve a BS in Criminal justice and paid for it as I went no loans. During all that time I met my wife had a child, paid off everything including the house and cars. we have been able to buy my parents an acre of land across from our farm and put a trailer house on it for them so we don't have to worry about them. Life is not always easy, even when you don't know any better but cherish everyday because you never know when tomorrow wont be there for you
That was a good read and full of inspiration that so many in similar situations need to hear. Thanks for posting sir.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 04:11 PM   #83
J-5
Eight Point

Hunt In: To the wind

If I had the chance I’d take my grandpa and my old lab hunting again together one more time. I’d try to learn something new from him and take it a little easier on her and just make another memory of them together. He passed away and I had to put her down of old age complications about a month later.
J-5 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 06:11 PM   #84
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Right now! If my body was younger now is an amazing time . I don't know about tomorrow but man today is great.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 08:32 PM   #85
GA Bowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tree/blind/ground

I've been on a gravy train with biscuit wheels for 60 years.

I'd just like to do it all one more time.
GA Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 08:38 PM   #86
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
Back when Coke was still cola and a joint was a bad place to be.

I know those lyrics!!!
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top