Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-27-2022, 11:29 PM   #1
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default Your favorite time throughout your time on earth?

I got to thinking about things that I have seen in my lifetime and that you don't see much of anymore. Also what time in my life I'd go back to if I could rewind time. I'm an '89 model so I don't have a lot to compare it to. But you hear people talk about "the good ol'days", if ever there was such a thing. But things seemed simpler even in the 90's. Maybe partly because I was a kid. So of course it seemed that way to me.

But anyways I started thinking about how arcades are now a thing of the past and I'm sure there are more I could think of. Also going to McDonald's and not spending $10 for a Big Mac and fries and a drink. Just to name a few small noticeable things. Not as many cellphones could also be mentioned. That's one thing I've seen change for sure in my lifetime. Used to hardly anyone had one. Now it's rare to see someone who doesn't.

So having said that if you could have one time period at any point in your lifetime and live it right now over again what would it be? For me it's the 90's. It might not be as cool as an adult but I'd give it a go.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2022, 11:36 PM   #2
Benno
Eight Point

I was just thinking about this, sort of, on the way to work this morning. I was mostly thinking of particular days with long past grandparents that I would love to relive. The things my grandmother did for my amusement and enjoyment, the care free days fishing with my grandfather. Just to have one of those days again tomorrow, much more time would be spent appreciating the moments.
Benno is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2022, 11:41 PM   #3
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno View Post
I was just thinking about this, sort of, on the way to work this morning. I was mostly thinking of particular days with long past grandparents that I would love to relive. The things my grandmother did for my amusement and enjoyment, the care free days fishing with my grandfather. Just to have one of those days again tomorrow, much more time would be spent appreciating the moments.
Oh yeah for sure. For me I'd like to have been older in the 90's (if that makes sense) so that I could have fully understood who my great,great grandmothers were and heard stories they had to tell. One of them I was honestly kind of scared of. To me she was just an old woman. She lived to be 102 years old. She lived through the hardest of times. I wasn't interested in hearing all of that.

That's just one of the reasons. I didn't really think about stuff as much then. I didn't have to, I was a child.

Last edited by okrattler; 09-27-2022 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:41 PM   #4
coachk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay Co

Loved my days playing high school sports...football, powerlifting, baseball and track with some really great teammates/friends and lots of great memories...more recent would be about the time my youngest daughter was born and my other daughter was 4. I really enjoyed them being babies but they have grown up way too fast. Now I have a freshman in college and a freshman in HS

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
coachk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2022, 11:46 PM   #5
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachk View Post
Loved my days playing high school sports...football, powerlifting, baseball and track with some really great teammates/friends and lots of great memories...more recent would be about the time my youngest daughter was born and my other daughter was 4. I really enjoyed them being babies but they have grown up way too fast. Now I have a freshman in college and a freshman in HS

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Time sure flies. That's actually what kind of got me thinking about it. I remember as a kid thinking about how old a person was when they talked about stuff that happened even 20 years ago. Now I'm talking about stuff I remember that long ago. I guess I'm old by my younger selfs point of view.

Maybe I'm old by anyone's standards. I don't know. My definition of old has changed by quite a bit.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:52 PM   #6
okrattler
Pope & Young

My oldest memories were from about the time I was 3 years old. I remember my mom had a red Monte Carlo and she was going to school and working so a lot of times I'd go with her to work at the old folks home. I remember having to crawl under the car and bang on the starter with a wrench so we could get to work. I remember one day it broke down and my mom and I walked to work. I remember holding her hand and walking down the sidewalk. To me it was an adventure of sorts. Life wasn't as simple for my mom. She wasn't having a fun time.

Looking back on it we did eat Ramen noodles and Macaroni and cheese a lot. Times were hard then but I didn't know it.

Last edited by okrattler; 09-27-2022 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:56 PM   #7
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

This last 20 years
Got married 19 years ago and RubyAnn was born 15 years ago and Reed Elliott was born 14 years ago.
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2022, 11:58 PM   #8
Txtourist
Six Point

Hunt In: MN, SD,TX

Right now, this is it.
I’m early 40’s, three young boys and an amazing wife. Spend a lot of time with parents. We make time to cook together and go out for ice cream.
Great little thriving business with some talented and enjoyable people. Do some volunteering, work hard, play hard.
We’re having a ton of fun. Just trying to make each day something we can look back on and smile about.
Went to a 70th birthday last weekend for an uncle down on the farm where my grandfather grew up. Really puts things in perspective when the grandparents are gone, your parents are now the grandparents, and your kids are off playing in the barn you grew up playing in.
Txtourist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:06 AM   #9
okrattler
Pope & Young

I'm trying to think of the last 20 years. A lot of cool things have happened. But I've also lost some of the best people I've ever known and have honestly worked non-stop for the better part of it. Went completely broke and lost everything pretty much at one point. So I don't know. In the past 20 years......I guess I just did adult stuff and learned what loss is mostly. I'd say mostly it wasn't that great.

The past 20 years I learned how to lose and accept it and power through it. The next 20 years I'll either start winning or I won't be alive in 20 years probably. I'm cool with either one really. I'll make the people that meant the most proud or I'll go see 'em. So I can't lose really.

Last edited by okrattler; 09-28-2022 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:16 AM   #10
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Teen years with what I know now.

edit: with what I THINK I know now!!!!
hpdrifter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:25 AM   #11
okrattler
Pope & Young

I wish I could rewind time to the year I was 14 years old. I spent a lot of time at my cousins house who had access to some of the best huntin and fishin I could have asked for and I didn't have the means or the know how to take full advantage of it.

When I say my cousin lived on some of the finest huntin and fishin ground I've ever stepped on I mean it was amazing. You can't even get on it now. It's privately owned just sitting there. Nobody's even running cattle on it. You talk about deer,turkey,varmints and bass galore....shoot.....you'd lose y'alls minds if I could show it to ya.

Last edited by okrattler; 09-28-2022 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:30 AM   #12
100%TtId
Pope & Young

Post 2002 and pre 2019.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:59 AM   #13
BlessedVeteran0305
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunting for a place to hunt

The past 17+ yrs. My wife and I got married had our two boys and it has been a blast living life with those 3. I am very blessed. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would make sure I was there for my boys first steps and first words, and that I was around more in their toddler and younger ages.
BlessedVeteran0305 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 01:19 AM   #14
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post

What's funny is how many people tried to school us punk teenaged kids saying that exact thing. "Man if I was your age knowing what I know now I'd be doing xy and z." Yea, sure old man.

I should've done xy and z
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 01:26 AM   #15
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
What's funny is how many people tried to school us punk teenaged kids saying that exact thing. "Man if I was your age knowing what I know now I'd be doing xy and z." Yea, sure old man.

I should've done xy and z
I think about that too. But I chose to do things my way. I guess for the most part it was a good choice. Had I done things differently I don't know that I'd know what I know now. I'd say I chose the harder path but it was probably better for me in the long run. Hindsight is always going to be 20/20. Life could have gone a lot of different ways for me. I could have chose worse. Could have done way better too.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:15 AM   #16
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Wait, you're as cynical as you are and only 33?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 07:36 AM   #17
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Wait, you're as cynical as you are and only 33?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Not everyone has it easy from day 1. You can definitely tell who has.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:39 AM   #18
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Probably a short time in my late teens when I had a little bit of money to do things, but without the responsibilities of adulthood. Hunting, fishing, water skiing, just chilling with friends etc. I have been trying to get back to that for 30yrs, dont think I ever actually will.
miket is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 07:51 AM   #19
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Hunt In: backyard

Today
OleTomTalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 08:07 AM   #20
tonyterry
Eight Point

Hunt In: Long star state

Ever morning when I wake you next to my wife and get calls from my kids and grandkids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonyterry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 08:17 AM   #21
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
Not everyone has it easy from day 1. You can definitely tell who has.
You can tell from here?

You do know some people don’t air out all of their life problems on public forums. Some others may spew them about, like shirtless men in public eating establishments, then erase them when others make comments which may cause contradictions.
slayr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM   #22
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

1979!!!
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 08:26 AM   #23
dosrobles
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bertram

Tomorrow if I am blessed enough to have it.
dosrobles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 08:32 AM   #24
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Barnhart , presidio , tiviolie

College days, I started in 1985 , drinking age was 18 , my friends and I were adults with few responsibilities, on the trap & skeet team, unlimited shells , spring break, summer school & jobs , high school was a drama drag , of hair code , dress code , lots of corporeal punishment
College my grandparents where alive, parents same ,
Graduat school was awesome
S-3 Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 08:40 AM   #25
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post

Do we get to relive it with what we know, or think we know, now? Or do we just get to relive it? Critical question.
mikemorvan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 09:11 AM   #26
RWB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

I would go back to the day I met my ex wife and keep my big mouth shut ;-)
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 09:18 AM   #27
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

I'd 100% go back to when my wife and I were dating. We were head over heels. I was fresh out of college with no real responsibilities. I was not burned out on my career yet and the possibilities seemed limitless. I had a lot of free time and spent a lot of time hunting and working out. Life was just fun.

Now I have everything I ever wanted but it is a lot less fun. We have been happily married for 12 years. We have 4 perfect kids. My income has more than tripled. But we are in the trenches of raising kids and I'm gone almost all day every day providing for them. Everyone says we will miss they days, and I don't doubt them. But it does not make it any less work!
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 09:23 AM   #28
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Lightbulb

Interesting topic, but for me..........the time in front of me honestly. I totally live for the what's next as I spin thru this universe. Every segment of the past has been OFF THE CHARTS GREATNESS on some level......but their is always more! Zero complaints that cannot be overcome with time & effort.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:34 AM   #29
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

I honestly can't think of a favorite time. Maybe college, though it was full of highs and lows. I am hoping retirement brings me a better experience.
Speedgoat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:39 AM   #30
7sdad
Ten Point

My favorite has to be my life as it is today

Now the most fun was back in the 80's when I was a single professional bull rider. Traveling around and going to different cities and meeting a lot of buckle bunnies.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:46 AM   #31
Dmck
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas Panhandle

I would love to go back and spend time with my Grandparents on my mom's side. Getting to stay when I was not in school for the week. Me and Grandpa going to check the irragation ditch and him with his Model 25 on the seat and riding in that 1964 Ranchero. Grandpa would look down the irragation ditch and find Mallards and coast up close and jump shoot them. I would love to smell that gunpowder and the cold air.
Dmck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:59 AM   #32
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Other than a failing body from age and abuse I'd have to say right now. I can finally afford (without guilt) the things I'd like to do, watching my grown children getting their lives sorta straightened and retired and owning a business I manage not that I'm managed in.
But most of all I have experienced God bringing me through so many tough times, so many life and death close calls and the struggle of a child with mental health issues that my trust in Him is complete. I know I will still be challenged. But I know because He has delivered me in the the past, He will in the future.
That peace of mind and spirit is priceless.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:01 PM   #33
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayr View Post
You can tell from here?

You do know some people don’t air out all of their life problems on public forums. Some others may spew them about, like shirtless men in public eating establishments, then erase them when others make comments which may cause contradictions.
I didn't delete it the moderators did. But good try.

You think I'm one to care about conflict? You just got here or what?

Last edited by okrattler; 09-28-2022 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:02 PM   #34
Texas452
Ten Point

Location: Own property in Burleson,Leon and Coleman counties.
Hunt In: Burleson Coleman Leon counties

Hunting with my grandpa, he absolutely loved to deer hunt.
We ran cattle together for almost 20 years.
He was my best friend.
Skoal was $.27 a can in the early 70’s.
Texas452 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:08 PM   #35
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

I think I’m living it now and look forward to what’s ahead.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:11 PM   #36
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
I would go back to the day I met my ex wife and keep my big mouth shut ;-)
That was funny.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:18 PM   #37
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

If I could relive my junior and senior year at NWOSU I would do that in a heartbeat. Had a great time with great friends junior year, was in the best shape of my life and pitched very well my senior year. The only thing I would change is not dating the girl I dated.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:22 PM   #38
BO-N-ARO
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas / Missouri / Africa

Growing up in the 50’s……. Yes, the 1950’s……. Was the time. No one locked their houses or cars. The ignition has a switch that was never locked. Color TV hit the market and only one or two shows were in color. No electronics! Walk to school and back. Summer you would jump on your bike and not get home till dinner….. do NOT be late. You ate as a family and ate what mom cooked. Played ball in the streets, played in the woods. BB gun fights…. don’t tell mom and dad. Sundays at my Nannie’s and with a big Italian family!! Winters in KC Mo we ice skated and rode sleds. Shoveled sidewalks for $0.25. Played pool and ping pong in the basement and even shot our bows and 22’s. Everyone’s parents keep an eye on you. I could go on for hours but hope this gives you an idea.
BO-N-ARO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:27 PM   #39
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

I would go back and relive the first 16 years of my life before my dad passed away. In a short period of time he made me a man and readied for the world ahead.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:39 PM   #40
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

The last 35 years to be with my wife again.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:44 PM   #41
sotx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County

1995 to 2020 the years my oldest daughter was alive and vibrant. God I do miss her so.
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:46 PM   #42
Mike Fangman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ranger & Kerrville

I'd have to say the early 80's, graduated HS in '82, had a blast back then, much simpler times for sure.
Mike Fangman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 12:47 PM   #43
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

not because of anything going on in life, but back in the 90s before technology. before internet, cell phones and such were common. Life was so much more relaxed and laid back. yes I was a kid, but even my parents lives were so much simpler and outdoor centered. Look back at hunting before the technology and scent control and attractants and gps and such. Just good times. I still love deer camp, but I also miss deer camp of the old days. I am guilty I cant hardly sit on a stand without my phone anymore, This year one of my goals is to hunt with no phone.
Javelin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 01:05 PM   #44
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
I didn't delete it the moderators did. But good try.

You think I'm one to care about conflict? You just got here or what?
Nah, I just tend to normally ignore irrelevant things/people. I should’ve stuck to my typical nature…you’re a bad ***, I can definitely tell.
slayr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 01:23 PM   #45
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
Growing up in the 50’s……. Yes, the 1950’s……. Was the time. No one locked their houses or cars. The ignition has a switch that was never locked. Color TV hit the market and only one or two shows were in color. No electronics! Walk to school and back. Summer you would jump on your bike and not get home till dinner….. do NOT be late. You ate as a family and ate what mom cooked. Played ball in the streets, played in the woods. BB gun fights…. don’t tell mom and dad. Sundays at my Nannie’s and with a big Italian family!! Winters in KC Mo we ice skated and rode sleds. Shoveled sidewalks for $0.25. Played pool and ping pong in the basement and even shot our bows and 22’s. Everyone’s parents keep an eye on you. I could go on for hours but hope this gives you an idea.
Even growing up in the city, the 60's were pretty good times also.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 01:34 PM   #46
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Take me back to College Life
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 01:46 PM   #47
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

There is no one special time in my life because they all come together for the total experience. My times when I was a young teen with few responsibilities just riding and racing motorcycles was a great time. The adventure of having and raising my children and building my farm were great experiences. Now retirement and playing with my ten grandkids is some of the most joy I’ve encountered.

It all adds up to different experiences making a whole life of great times.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 01:52 PM   #48
okrattler
Pope & Young

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayr View Post
Nah, I just tend to normally ignore irrelevant things/people. I should’ve stuck to my typical nature…you’re a bad ***, I can definitely tell.
You ignore me but still you're here? That does make sense.

There's an ignore list on here somewhere if you're having that much difficulty with it. Figure out how to use it and it won't be a problem. Might as well because I can assure you you're a hell of a lot more concerned with what I do than I am with what you say or do. By a long shot.

Last edited by okrattler; 09-28-2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:52 PM   #49
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I still love deer camp, but I also miss deer camp of the old days.
Winner of the thread. Thanks for the memory brother.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 01:59 PM   #50
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
It all adds up to different experiences making a whole life of great times.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top