Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-25-2022, 08:40 PM   #1
DesertDug
Ten Point

Hunt In: far out west texas & SHNF & Lovelady
Default Star link user question

What to get the star link for long stays in remote area that gets service to be able to work remotely, but this will be a an off grid location and I am not sure my solar power will be able to keep up.

So my question comes to this, if I bust the set up, thinking of getting the rv package, if it does not work out for me can you resell the equipment and only be out prescription money and any loss on equipment resale?
DesertDug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2022, 08:55 PM   #2
Txhunter3000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rockdale/Caldwell

Following
Txhunter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2022, 09:24 PM   #3
175gr7.62
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDug View Post
What to get the star link for long stays in remote area that gets service to be able to work remotely, but this will be a an off grid location and I am not sure my solar power will be able to keep up.

So my question comes to this, if I bust the set up, thinking of getting the rv package, if it does not work out for me can you resell the equipment and only be out prescription money and any loss on equipment resale?

I believe max power draw is 95W. Typically around 40W though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2022, 09:51 PM   #4
Rubberdown
Ten Point

They are all over Facebook marketplace. I’d look into buying. Used one if you aren’t sure it’ll work out. Might talk to Starlink and ask about it.
Rubberdown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 05:55 AM   #5
Bill M
Pope & Young

Right now, Starlink makes is difficult to transfer ownership is my understanding. I have also read that that they do allow returning the equipment. The problem is there is nowhere to call and everything (communication) is online or via the app. There are groups on Facebook if you have an account there and they are very good at answering your questions. Good luck with it. We are satisfied with the service and it is not a lot more money that the line of sight limited WiFi service available where we are.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 07:05 AM   #6
DesertDug
Ten Point

No Facebook and. I do not like the lack of information out there. My thought is if I get the mobile unit I could get rid of the house connection

So usage is about 12 amp/hrs for a 11 hr day?
Old 09-26-2022, 07:44 AM   #7
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
No Facebook and. I do not like the lack of information out there. My thought is if I get the mobile unit I could get rid of the house connection

So usage is about 12 amp/hrs for a 11 hr day?

Can't help with the power requirements.

Plenty of info by people who have experienced things but as stated, only online communication. I doubt there will be a change in the communication policy. That said, folks that have had to deal with customer service through the app have been very satisfied. We went with the RV version due to not having a permanent residence yet and we camp a lot when we do.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:37 AM   #8
SNKETR
Six Point

Hunt In: Robertson County

When i set up my RV version, i ordered every possible mount and accessory to make sure i could install it in 1 day without having to wait for parts. Ended up not needing any of it. I contacted customer service through the app and got a full refund on everything i didn't use, same day. Now another time when i lost connection it took 2 days for them to respond but luckily it started working 6hrs after it initially went out. That's that only time i've every had a connection issue so far.
SNKETR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 09:56 AM   #9
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

If you're having problems with the internet service, how are you supposed to contact them through the app?
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 10:20 AM   #10
SNKETR
Six Point

Hunt In: Robertson County

Cell service
SNKETR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 12:20 PM   #11
DesertDug
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNKETR View Post
Cell service
Well heck. There is no service where I want to use star link.
Old 09-26-2022, 04:46 PM   #12
bwootton
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Stamford

Say you found a starlink box under your gate, in the middle of no where, with your address but someone's name you do not know on it. Quick internet search of phone number on said package is a guy hours away. Think this is some kind of scam? What do you do?
bwootton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 05:15 PM   #13
coldtrail
Spike

Hmmm
coldtrail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 05:16 PM   #14
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwootton View Post
Say you found a starlink box under your gate, in the middle of no where, with your address but someone's name you do not know on it. Quick internet search of phone number on said package is a guy hours away. Think this is some kind of scam? What do you do?
That almost sounds like a stolen CC situation, perp orders it to a random address and tries to grab it before the homeowner arrives. Probably destined for FB marketplace.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 07:18 PM   #15
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwootton View Post
Probably someone in an area that is saturated and can't get service. So the trick is to have it sent to an area where service is available. When you get the equipment you change the address on your account and presto. You now have service that you otherwise would have to wait possibly a year or more. I was going to do that but they came out with the rv version right before it was going to become necessary.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 08:44 PM   #16
DesertDug
Ten Point

So rv system is $25 more. I was thinking of using it where they show service and at home in Houston but Houston doesn’t have service yet. So looks like I would still need two providers
Old 09-26-2022, 09:23 PM   #17
Mouse
Eight Point

Hunt In: Caddo/Big Lake/Datil NM

We are in an area of SW New Mexico that doesn’t have service yet but we use the RV system as our home system. Just checked the speed during peek hours 5-11 daily and we are getting over 70mbps. Even on high use times we average 36 mbps and and around 10-12 in upload. Hope this helps. Best 125 bucks per month I have ever spent. We don’t even have cell service here at the ranch but we can stream Direct TV
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2022, 09:28 PM   #18
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch Counties

Quote:
So rv system is $25 more. I was thinking of using it where they show service and at home in Houston but Houston doesn’t have service yet. So looks like I would still need two providers
Houston has service. The rv service will work there. You will get throttled during peak usage. Throttled Starlink is still better than most other services.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2022, 07:47 AM   #19
DesertDug
Ten Point

M16 and Mouse, thanks for the good information.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:31 AM   #20
matagordian
Eight Point

Was looking at Starlink for a fishing cabin in Matagorda. Ending up just using a T-mobile mobile hot spot that is $50 for 40gb of data.

Works good for browsing and my Wyze security cameras. Streaming Netflix uses a lot of data though. What I did is put a 1tb hard drive in my laptop and can download movies off of Netflix and Amazon Prime for offline viewing. Got almost 70 movies and just use a display port cable to hook up the laptop to the TV. If you can get a good cell signal I would recommend trying a prepaid mobile hot spot to try out before investing in the starlink equipment.
matagordian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2022, 09:13 AM   #21
matagordian
Eight Point

Sorry, just saw you said no cell service.
matagordian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 11:52 PM   #22
Flame
Four Point

I live in near Hockley, Tx in a rural area NW of Houston where there is no broadband internet. I have been using a hot spot. I just bought used Starlink system off Facebook Marketplace. I bought it on Tuesday 9/27/2022. I had the original owner start the “Starlink Transfer of Service” into my name that day. The following day I got an email from Starlink with a link to the “Transfer of Service Form” which I filled out immediately. That same day I received another email with another link from Starlink that my account had been activated and I needed to fill out my billing information which included a credit card number. There was an option for ACH payment too. A few hours after I did that, when I got home from work, I set the system up on the ground to test it out and once I reset the system it started working. My download speeds so far vary between about 35 to 150 Mbps and upload speed is about 10 – 13 Mbps. I still have not paid a dime, so not real sure if they bill you at the end of the month or what. The bottom line is once I had the system it was only two days and I have broadband internet that I haven’t had in years. Yes, there is no phone number to call but the customer service seemed to very good in my case. I am in an area that the map says I am on the waiting list until 2023. So far I am using the “Residential Service” and not the “portability” or “RV Service. I bought the system thinking I would have to use the RV service but so far so good. I hope this helps.
Flame is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 03:59 AM   #23
AdsE44
Nubbin' Buck

good info was also thinking to go this route
AdsE44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 07:52 AM   #24
DesertDug
Ten Point

Great post Flame, thanks for info.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:13 AM   #25
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame View Post
I live in near Hockley, Tx in a rural area NW of Houston where there is no broadband internet. I have been using a hot spot. I just bought used Starlink system off Facebook Marketplace. I bought it on Tuesday 9/27/2022. I had the original owner start the “Starlink Transfer of Service” into my name that day. The following day I got an email from Starlink with a link to the “Transfer of Service Form” which I filled out immediately. That same day I received another email with another link from Starlink that my account had been activated and I needed to fill out my billing information which included a credit card number. There was an option for ACH payment too. A few hours after I did that, when I got home from work, I set the system up on the ground to test it out and once I reset the system it started working. My download speeds so far vary between about 35 to 150 Mbps and upload speed is about 10 – 13 Mbps. I still have not paid a dime, so not real sure if they bill you at the end of the month or what. The bottom line is once I had the system it was only two days and I have broadband internet that I haven’t had in years. Yes, there is no phone number to call but the customer service seemed to very good in my case. I am in an area that the map says I am on the waiting list until 2023. So far I am using the “Residential Service” and not the “portability” or “RV Service. I bought the system thinking I would have to use the RV service but so far so good. I hope this helps.
That is good to know. All the discussions I have seen say they just won't do it. Can't believe everything you read on the internet I guess.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:38 AM   #26
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Starlink needs to get their act together and then they'll crush everyone very quickly.

I know it's tough expanding...But Musk spends soo freaking much on Tesla and all his other stuff that appears to be decades away from making money. IMO (and I may be way off the mark) he should dump a few billion into Starlink and it should make billions in 2-3 years once everyone switches. Rollout is too slow.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 11:05 AM   #27
MikeyG
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba, Lampassas

Quote:

Not related to your question, but worth mentioning for those considering is that having a clear open sky is important. If you're covered up by trees, or only have a 50-75% window view to the sky, it will significantly limit your connectivity. Several of my friends have reported this issue.
MikeyG is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 12:40 PM   #28
DesertDug
Ten Point

Has anyone used a home system at different locations? or if you are going to move from place to place get a RV system? Any thoughts / experience with this?
Old 10-04-2022, 01:10 PM   #29
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
Has anyone used a home system at different locations? or if you are going to move from place to place get a RV system? Any thoughts / experience with this?
The home system can be used with the portability option. The RV version can be paused when not used but only for a full month, no prorating. We chose the RV version because we RV camp alot and the home version wasn't available at our location. It works well for both traveling and at home.
Old 10-04-2022, 01:42 PM   #30
DesertDug
Ten Point

thanks Bill M.