Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2022, 11:23 AM   #1
Hogmauler
Pope & Young
 
Hogmauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Kerrville
Question Seed oats

Question for all the plot experts. This is the time to put your seed oats out correct? And then pray for rain!
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 11:29 AM   #2
HYDRO_69
Eight Point
 
HYDRO_69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Manor Texas
Hunt In: Central Texas
Default

We usualy do the last week in Sept or first week in Oct. in Erath County. It has worked well for us over the years.
HYDRO_69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 11:30 AM   #3
M16
Pope & Young
 
M16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch Counties
Default

No. It’s the time to buy your seed oats. Supposed to be a shortage this year. I just picked mine up this week. I won’t plant until mid October unless we get a significant cool down before then. Plant now and heat along with army worms will play havoc with your oats.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 11:39 AM   #4
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pandora, Texas
Default

TAMU oats are 24.00 a 50 pound bag, I seen BOB oats in Boerne for 22.00 a bag. And before anyone comes on here recommending feed oats, they are 19.00 a bag with a 60 percent germination rate so you are not saving any money at all.

I won’t plant till late October. Army worms will eat up oats quickly.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 11:40 AM   #5
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young
 
S-3 Ranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Sisterdale
Hunt In: Sisterdale, Barnhart , presidio , tiviolie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDRO_69 View Post
We usualy do the last week in Sept or first week in Oct. in Erath County. It has worked well for us over the years.
Same , I want a good stand by thanksgiving
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 11:41 AM   #6
HogHunter34
Ten Point
 
HogHunter34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troup, TX
Hunt In: Anderson County
Default

Like mentioned I’d gauge it around weather conditions depending on how dry it is in your area & forecasted rain & temps. I try and shoot for late September/early October
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 11:49 AM   #7
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Troup
Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
Like mentioned Iíd gauge it around weather conditions depending on how dry it is in your area & forecasted rain & temps. I try and shoot for late September/early October
Same ! I used to plant labor day weekend whether wet or dry, but now that Iím retired and my best friend is also, we wait until the optimum time to plant. My plots are sprayed and mowed and waiting for that time. Year before last I had to replant after Army worms ate my wheat to the ground. Iím gonna try to not repeat that !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 12:16 PM   #8
MtnMike
Six Point
 
MtnMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Bullard
Hunt In: East Texas, South Texas, Montana,Nebraska, Wyoming and New Mexico
Default

Put mine in the ground yesterday. I used Whitetail Institute Buck Forage Oats. Cost more but worth every penny. I have been using them for years and they out perform most other plot seed. Ground was moist and in good shape due to recent rains. Now we need more rain!
MtnMike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 01:09 PM   #9
John Paul
Ten Point
 
John Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pleasanton
Hunt In: Blackhill, McCoy, Encinal
Default

Always have planted the last week of September till the last few years, been holding off a few weeks to see if I can get past the worms. Them suckers will clean up some years.
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 01:17 PM   #10
Benno
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

I planted Labor Day weekend like I do every year for the last 35yrs. Never had an issue.
Benno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 02:43 PM   #11
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young
 
Gumbo Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Livingston Texas
Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benno View Post
I planted Labor Day weekend like I do every year for the last 35yrs. Never had an issue.
This.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 02:46 PM   #12
Walker
Pope & Young
 
Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
TAMU oats are 24.00 a 50 pound bag, I seen BOB oats in Boerne for 22.00 a bag. And before anyone comes on here recommending feed oats, they are 19.00 a bag with a 60 percent germination rate so you are not saving any money at all.

I wonít plant till late October. Army worms will eat up oats quickly.
How do you know feed oats are only 60% germination. Did you test them?
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 02:55 PM   #13
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young
 
S-3 Ranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Sisterdale
Hunt In: Sisterdale, Barnhart , presidio , tiviolie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
How do you know feed oats are only 60% germination. Did you test them?
Go ask the guy who owns struttys in Boerne, he refused to sell us
Oats to plant unless they where seed oats, had his guy unload the entire trailer! Wheeler down the street was happy to sell feed oats for planting.
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 03:07 PM   #14
Hogmauler
Pope & Young
 
Hogmauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Kerrville
Default

Who Carrie’s TAMU oats? The university? Producers?
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 03:15 PM   #15
Walker
Pope & Young
 
Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
Go ask the guy who owns struttys in Boerne, he refused to sell us
Oats to plant unless they where seed oats, had his guy unload the entire trailer! Wheeler down the street was happy to sell feed oats for planting.
Did he test them? I doubt it. Buy a bag of horse oats and test them yourself. I'll bet you'll be surprised.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 03:20 PM   #16
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young
 
S-3 Ranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Sisterdale
Hunt In: Sisterdale, Barnhart , presidio , tiviolie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Did he test them? I doubt it. Buy a bag of horse oats and test them yourself. I'll bet you'll be surprised.
We do plant horse oats & dykon radishes, they produce good enough for me
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 03:36 PM   #17
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pandora, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
How do you know feed oats are only 60% germination. Did you test them?
Ask your county extension agent about germination rates of bin run oats. Bin run oats, race horse oats and feed oats are all the same just a different name. Feed oats will also carry all types of weed seeds in them and the embryo will be damaged in many of the oats because of they way they are harvested. You may get a germination rate of 10 percent or a rate of 70 percent per bag, this is all information from the county extension agent. Their phone number is 830-393-7357 you can call them direct and argue with them all you want. You have stated many times to people to plant feed oats but you do not understand how much effort is put in a food plot.

I paid 250.00 for 5 gallons of herbicide this year, diesel fuel is 4.59 a gallon and it takes me about 14 hours of tractor time to put in my fall plots. I plant 600 pounds of oat seed and itís not worth saving 60.00 by planting feed oats or getting a field of ragweed instead of oats. It is really not hard to understand.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 03:36 PM   #18
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pandora, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Did he test them? I doubt it. Buy a bag of horse oats and test them yourself. I'll bet you'll be surprised.
Yep, might get a field of ragweed instead of oats. You don’t even have food plots, why do you want to argue a mute point?

Last edited by Radar; 09-10-2022 at 03:41 PM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 03:38 PM   #19
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pandora, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
Who Carrieís TAMU oats? The university? Producers?
Lyssy and Eckel, TAMU oats do very good in my area
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 03:50 PM   #20
Walker
Pope & Young
 
Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Default

Plant what you want and spend what you want. I used to plant 420 acres yearly. I know that's not a food plot. A bit more important. We always used our own seed from the previous years harvest. And all oats are harvested with a combine and I've never seen a combine with seed oats harvester written anywhere on it. I'm not trying to argue with anyone. Just saying there is an alternative to certified oats.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 04:24 PM   #21
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pandora, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Plant what you want and spend what you want. I used to plant 420 acres yearly. I know that's not a food plot. A bit more important. We always used our own seed from the previous years harvest. And all oats are harvested with a combine and I've never seen a combine with seed oats harvester written anywhere on it. I'm not trying to argue with anyone. Just saying there is an alternative to certified oats.
You are arguing about a whole savings of 5.00 on a bag of oats that may not even germinate or have some kind of noxious weed seed in it. It appears that you cannot understand or you did not read my post about costs in a plot,so we will leave it at that.


I reckon I will get me some race horse and sing Camptown races while I plant them
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 04:29 PM   #22
BrandonA
Pope & Young
 
BrandonA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Marble Falls/Burnet
Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County
Default

As far as planting time I would wait until first to mid October. Army worms love oats. We get our seed from Ranchland in Goldthwaite and they mix or oats with fertilizer and loan us the buggy to spread. Not gonna **** ant 50lb bags if I don’t have to
BrandonA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 04:30 PM   #23
Walker
Pope & Young
 
Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Antonio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
You are arguing about a whole savings of 5.00 on a bag of oats that may not even germinate or have some kind of noxious weed seed in it. It appears that you cannot understand or you did not read my post about costs in a plot,so we will leave it at that.


I reckon I will get me some race horse and sing Camptown races while I plant them
Be sure and buy seed oats with a deer picture on the bag. Nothing else will sprout.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 05:31 PM   #24
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pandora, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Be sure and buy seed oats with a deer picture on the bag. Nothing else will sprout.
TAMU oats come in a plain old brown bag, Lyssy and Eckel sells them to most of the farmers in the area. Just a good strain of oats that do well around here, Texas A&M developed this strain. You are confused about what some guys are buying that are advertised as Buck Forage Oats. I do not know the prices of those, so I canít help you with the savings of your race horse oats and Buck Forage oats.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 05:39 PM   #25
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young
 
S-3 Ranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Sisterdale
Hunt In: Sisterdale, Barnhart , presidio , tiviolie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
TAMU oats come in a plain old brown bag, Lyssy and Eckel sells them to most of the farmers in the area. Just a good strain of oats that do well around here, Texas A&M developed this strain. You are confused about what some guys are buying that are advertised as Buck Forage Oats. I do not know the prices of those, so I canít help you with the savings of your race horse oats and Buck Forage oats.
Agreed locally sourced are a wise choice, over a national conglomerate with technology fees tacked on
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 06:35 PM   #26
Hogmauler
Pope & Young
 
Hogmauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Kerrville
Default

I’ll google tamu oats in Brazos and Robertson county and see what comes up. Do army worms look like caterpillars?
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 06:50 PM   #27
BRUTE 23
Four Point
 
BRUTE 23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2022
Default

Mix oats and rye to get a longer growing season. The rye will grow when it's warmer and slow when it gets cold and oats take over.

Ideal planting for us is right around now, plus or minus a couple weeks depending on rain.

Worms, weather, etc are just part of the game. If you are scared of that you will never plant. It's different planting a food plot vs for grazing cattle. Cattle you wait because you really don't need them until maybe Dec and you have a lot more at risk for worms and weather.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
BRUTE 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 09:57 PM   #28
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Same ! I used to plant labor day weekend whether wet or dry, but now that Iím retired and my best friend is also, we wait until the optimum time to plant. My plots are sprayed and mowed and waiting for that time. Year before last I had to replant after Army worms ate my wheat to the ground. Iím gonna try to not repeat that !
Happened to me a few years back very costly. My plots are ready to plant as of today but I will wait

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 09:57 PM   #29
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
This.
Until you do

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 10:05 PM   #30
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnMike View Post
Put mine in the ground yesterday. I used Whitetail Institute Buck Forage Oats. Cost more but worth every penny. I have been using them for years and they out perform most other plot seed. Ground was moist and in good shape due to recent rains. Now we need more rain!
I've been using these oats for about 7 years very good seeds. I used to plant when you do but after losing about 10 acres to army worms I wait until October. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 10:46 PM   #31
M16
Pope & Young
 
M16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch Counties
Default

If you’re don’t want to pay the price for seed oats. Get a bag of the cheap oats you want to plant. Take a 100 or so seeds out of the bag. Place them in a layer of paper towels. Wet it down. In a couple of days you would be able to see what amount have sprouted to determine what percent will germinate.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 11:26 PM   #32
MtnMike
Six Point
 
MtnMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Bullard
Hunt In: East Texas, South Texas, Montana,Nebraska, Wyoming and New Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
I've been using these oats for about 7 years very good seeds. I used to plant when you do but after losing about 10 acres to army worms I wait until October. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I have planted about this time since 2008. We have never lost any to Army worms. Now my lawn, a different story. Army worms got me about 3 times in the past 20 years.
MtnMike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2022, 11:43 PM   #33
HogHunter34
Ten Point
 
HogHunter34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troup, TX
Hunt In: Anderson County
Default

I’ve got a bow setup with a gravity feeder. Thought of planting just a small strip of a plot but I noticed a lot of iron ore clay. What’s a good soil conditioner to use or lime it to help support the seed better?
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2022, 08:51 AM   #34
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Magnolia
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
If youíre donít want to pay the price for seed oats. Get a bag of the cheap oats you want to plant. Take a 100 or so seeds out of the bag. Place them in a layer of paper towels. Wet it down. In a couple of days you would be able to see what amount have sprouted to determine what percent will germinate.
I was going to suggest this

We did seed or race horse oats for years. Like 40. Got some buck forage from snowflake one year and the results weren't even comparable.

I will probably turn my dirt in a week or so then plant in October.

Deer will be on corn till acorns fall and won't mess with food plots well till December anyway

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2022, 08:58 AM   #35
skinsfan
Ten Point
 
skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Riviera
Hunt In: Kennedy/Medina County
Default

I bought seed oats, only 6 bags so not a ton of $ difference. I also planted yesterday because I had moisture. I’ll use Intrepid (kill and residual) if I start seeing sign of worms. Expensive but I don’t have a ton of ground to cover.
skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2022, 11:04 AM   #36
Radar
Pope & Young
 
Radar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pandora, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
I was going to suggest this

We did seed or race horse oats for years. Like 40. Got some buck forage from snowflake one year and the results weren't even comparable.

I will probably turn my dirt in a week or so then plant in October.

Deer will be on corn till acorns fall and won't mess with food plots well till December anyway

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I have planted feed oats before,for me they come up in clumps and would die off quick. You are correct about December and that gives me time to wait out the army worms. I need a lot of rain still.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2022, 12:43 PM   #37
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young
 
Snowflake Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Shepherd
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I have planted feed oats before,for me they come up in clumps and would die off quick. You are correct about December and that gives me time to wait out the army worms. I need a lot of rain still.
With your kind of money you should irrigate

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com