Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-02-2022, 07:29 PM   #1
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas
Default Aluminum Boat Rec.

Needing recommendations for a shop to strip, clean, and paint (or powdercoat) my 14í Alweld. Will powdercoat hold up on a boat or will paint be better option?
Cost isnít my only factor. Just want a good job done.

Iím in Huntsville, so i recon anywhere between Houston and Dallas would work.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bloodstick is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2022, 07:49 PM   #2
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Yea good luck with that …,cheap labor hard to find. I’d rather flip burgers for $20…just saying. God bless your project.
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2022, 10:57 PM   #3
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
Yea good luck with that Ö,cheap labor hard to find. Iíd rather flip burgers for $20Öjust saying. God bless your project.

Cheap labor is not what i said, but OK.

Old 07-02-2022, 11:01 PM   #4
pure lefty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County and wherever

There is a guy in HV that does powder coating, can’t remember his name, but there is a shop on 75 north across from rural water supply office, they might know. If I find his name I will pm you. Thought about doing mine in bed liner paint, still researching it.
pure lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2022, 11:06 PM   #5
BBBGP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee Co.

call Austin Boatright, at Boatright marine.
BBBGP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2022, 11:06 PM   #6
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure lefty View Post
There is a guy in HV that does powder coating, canít remember his name, but there is a shop on 75 north across from rural water supply office, they might know. If I find his name I will pm you. Thought about doing mine in bed liner paint, still researching it.

I know the shop you are talking about. I pass them going pay my water bill. I didnít know they powder coat. Iíll stop in there when i get a chance.

Old 07-02-2022, 11:12 PM   #7
pure lefty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County and wherever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
I know the shop you are talking about. I pass them going pay my water bill. I didnít know they powder coat. Iíll stop in there when i get a chance.

I donít know if they powder coat I think they do wraps, but they might be able to steer you in right direction.
pure lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2022, 11:29 PM   #8
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pure lefty View Post
I donít know if they powder coat I think they do wraps, but they might be able to steer you in right direction.

Gotcha. Thanks for the tip

Old 07-03-2022, 01:59 AM   #9
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

in for details. im wanting to do the same on my jon boat
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2022, 05:55 AM   #10
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Never heard of anyone powder coating an aluminum boat. Iíd bet the prep work might make it cost prohibitive, but definitely worth looking in to. Give Allied Powder a call, in Houston.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2022, 11:57 AM   #11
Flex
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Bushes

Never heard of power coating one either.

Join TX Tiny boat on FB.

Stripping and painting an aluminum boat isn't rocket surgery. Unless you're not physically able it's a pretty easy weekend project.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2022, 12:08 PM   #12
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Powder coating is hands down more durable than any field applied paint, as I do commercial metal refinishing for a living.

Quality powder coating or cross link may be your only options who can fit boat in a oven.
bbqfan5909 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2022, 12:14 PM   #13
postman
Ten Point

A wrap on the exterior might be a good idea.
postman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2022, 03:07 PM   #14
bloodstick
Ten Point

Thanks for all the tips guys.
Durability is what i was looking for but was unsure, as you said, if a 14í boat could fit in an oven or if it would not be cost productive.

I thought about coating the bottom with Herculiner or something similar. I think it would stick to the carpet bunks a ton and maybe even slow the boat some on plane with it not being slick?

I have a way to paint it myself, but donít really know much on durability of different paints, if i should use an all in one and skip primer or the other way around.

Old 07-03-2022, 03:52 PM   #15
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

For field application, sand all areas with 220. Then solvent clean, epoxy prime and top coat with 2 part urethane (you can find marine grade). Recommend lighter colors as they hold up to sun and donít fade as quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
Thanks for all the tips guys.
Durability is what i was looking for but was unsure, as you said, if a 14í boat could fit in an oven or if it would not be cost productive.

I thought about coating the bottom with Herculiner or something similar. I think it would stick to the carpet bunks a ton and maybe even slow the boat some on plane with it not being slick?

I have a way to paint it myself, but donít really know much on durability of different paints, if i should use an all in one and skip primer or the other way around.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:13 PM   #16
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Check out Boswell airboat thread. They did a hella job on the paint.

As for the bottom, GatorGlide. Owner is top notch guy!! I'm about to put some on a skiff

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2022, 10:50 PM   #17
mudkat
Ten Point

Hunt In: rusk county

i do t think you could powder coat it never get it clean enough and the oven would cook all the foam out of it
get it sandblasted (the rough texture holds paint way better) they also make an etching primer for aluminum that prepares the metal to bond with the paint then use a good epoxy paint and you’ll be good to go
i did mine in 1993 and the paint stool looks good and it sits outside most of the time
mudkat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2022, 09:47 AM   #18
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudkat View Post
i do t think you could powder coat it never get it clean enough and the oven would cook all the foam out of it
get it sandblasted (the rough texture holds paint way better) they also make an etching primer for aluminum that prepares the metal to bond with the paint then use a good epoxy paint and youíll be good to go
i did mine in 1993 and the paint stool looks good and it sits outside most of the time

Thats a good point. I never even thought about the foam inserts in the seats.

Old 07-04-2022, 04:14 PM   #19
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

I wouldn't powder coat one. If you just have to put something on it paint it. Otherwise strip it, blast it, whatever to get all the paint off and leave it plain. No paint is needed. You'll get a hard oxidized finish naturally and you won't ever have to do anything to it. It's not as pretty as a cleanly painted boat but it dang sure is long lasting. Can't scratch the finish off. Beat it on docks, bounce it off rocks, nothing will hurt it. I have a couple buddies who guide out of aluminum boats who have gone this route. One in a Boatright and one in a Hanko. They had 'em built and just went with no paint. To me it doesn't look near as bad as a boat that has been used hard and is missing lots of paint. I use to have to have my Boatright stripped and re-painted every two years to keep it looking decent and even then by the time I had a year of wear on a coat of paint it was looking rough.
Capt Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2022, 04:55 PM   #20
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

If you do decide to paint it Sherwin Williams has an industrial paint that I am pretty sure is called KEM 400. Look it up, that is what a bunch of aluminum boat manufacturers use. You can't get it at just any Sherwin Williams, you have to go to one of their industrial paint stores. It's available in several good aluminum boat colors.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:28 PM   #21
az2tx
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Glenn View Post
If you do decide to paint it Sherwin Williams has an industrial paint that I am pretty sure is called KEM 400. Look it up, that is what a bunch of aluminum boat manufacturers use. You can't get it at just any Sherwin Williams, you have to go to one of their industrial paint stores. It's available in several good aluminum boat colors.
It is KEM 400 I have 3 gals sitting on my floor
az2tx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2022, 05:45 PM   #22
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:

This is what Boatright uses or least used to
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2022, 05:48 PM   #23
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
I wouldn't powder coat one. If you just have to put something on it paint it. Otherwise strip it, blast it, whatever to get all the paint off and leave it plain. No paint is needed.
Not a bad way to go but if you choose this route do not sandblast. Blasting will leave a rough porous finish that will stain like crazy unless you spend a lot of time sanding down to a fine grit after blast.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2022, 10:54 PM   #24
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:

Thanks for the great info.

Iím currently researching some good paint stripper to just do the job myself.

Its a 98 model .100 thickness Alweld. Still has original paint, well, somewhat. Majority of the inside is worn out from foot traffic over the years but there is some Krylon rattle can job we did to the exterior for duck season years back. Its not horribly thick. I have a Sherwin Williams right by the house. I will atop in and inquire about that paint as well.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:37 AM   #25
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

I have a boat thread on here somewhere. I looked pretty hard for that kem400 or whatever it's called at several different sherwin Williams stores and they couldn't get it, 2 stores couldn't even find it in the system. I blasted the boat with a fine media, then painted with regular old rust-oleum from tractor supply. Boat still looks like it was just painted besides the few stains. Only missing paint is on a big gouge from a stop sign post during hurricane harvey. . I wouldn't spend very much on paint as I use my boat a lot and it's $11 paint job has held up for probably 5 years now. It does stain bad, but looks like someone above me said blasting it is my reason for staining.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
LivinADream is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2022, 05:58 AM   #26
BowTech2010
Ten Point

Hunt In: West TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Check out Boswell airboat thread. They did a hella job on the paint.

As for the bottom, GatorGlide. Owner is top notch guy!! I'm about to put some on a skiff

Gatorglide is whats on my boat and has been on the past few. Can't recommend it enough. X2 on owner being a great guy! Gives you his personal number to call at any time with any questions. When I did my first boat and had a few questions i called and he answered first time on a Sunday.

As far as paint id give a couple of aluminum boat manufacturers a call and see what they use. I know whatever Gator Tail uses is some ****** paint that has held up extremely well on my mud boat.
BowTech2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2022, 06:11 AM   #27
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

I know it is a drive. But Abilene Powder Coating, would be my first call. They are setup to do entire Race car frames and chasis. They do impeccable work.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2022, 07:48 AM   #28
LarryP_1989
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grimes, Walker cty.

I just dropped my aluminum center console off at WC Custom Boats week before last to have this done. They are doing some fab work on it too, along with stripping it, repainting and adding hydro turf. They are located in Cayuga just below Richland Chambers.
LarryP_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-05-2022, 09:48 PM   #29
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

You can't get KEM 400 at Sherwin Williams stores. Like I said, you have to go to a Sherwin Williams Industrial Coatings store. There is like 1 in Houston. If you go to your local SW store they WILL NOT be able to get it.
Old 07-05-2022, 10:21 PM   #30
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Need to hit up a tasco or finish master for kem 400. Itís a standard enamel with hardener. Iíd opt for automotive urethane over an enamel based paint personally.

Quote:
You can't get KEM 400 at Sherwin Williams stores. Like I said, you have to go to a Sherwin Williams Industrial Coatings store. There is like 1 in Houston. If you go to your local SW store they WILL NOT be able to get it.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:00 PM   #31
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryP_1989 View Post
I just dropped my aluminum center console off at WC Custom Boats week before last to have this done. They are doing some fab work on it too, along with stripping it, repainting and adding hydro turf. They are located in Cayuga just below Richland Chambers.
Glad to see those guys running again.

Post some pics when you get it back

Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top