Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-21-2021, 09:10 AM   #101
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
aftermarket extended battery packs you can rent and throw in the bed for those few times a year long trips... solves most everyone's concern.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

At what cost? $6-8K? Lotta folks drive long ranges more than a "few times" a year. I'm thinking of folks like Fishndude who drive all over the state putting on fishing events for kids pulling a trailer full of rods, gear, bait and prizes or tanks. Hell I do it 10-12 times a year minimum.

Last edited by Smart; 05-21-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 09:26 AM   #102
SaintBlaise
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Itís not because they are faster or more powerful. My electric golf cart will drag a gas powered cart all over the place. The torque is insane.

Speaking as an electric cart owner lead acid batteries suck and are a pain to
maintain. Im betting that is a factor. I would expect with carts moving to lithium you will start seeing more electric ones on the courses.

I just did a total rebuild of mine and converted to lithium. Iíve not put a lot of miles on it but itís noticeable more responsive and the range should be more than doubled over the lead acid batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Good info.

What was the cost difference on the Lithium battery? And did you need to replace one for one?
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #103
spread5150
Ten Point

Hunt In: West Texas, East Texas, Central Texas, South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
Also consider that , according to Ford's own website, there are no charging stations west of San Antonio until you get to El Paso, Fort Stockton, or Alpine.
Dryden Tx will leave you with a long walk home.
spread5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #104
friscopaint
Ten Point

I'm not opposed to owning one for my purposes but as with most others I can't see how the electric grid is gonna handle millions of vehicles getting plugged in at 6;30 pm when people get home from work, especially on a nice Texas august day. As stated before, they've put the cart in front of the horse. This will spark a whole new business of mobile charging trucks to go charge vehicles that are dead and couldn't make it to a charging station.....
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 10:55 AM   #105
XR650RRider
Six Point

Quote:
aftermarket extended battery packs you can rent and throw in the bed for those few times a year long trips... solves most everyone's concern.
You even seen a battery pack on a Tesla? It's a big majority of the frame of the car. Think granny is going to throw a 1,000 lb battery pack in the bed? Not like your going to drive into Allsups and drive out with a battery swap.
XR650RRider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 11:01 AM   #106
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pronouns-He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650RRider View Post
You even seen a battery pack on a Tesla? It's a big majority of the frame of the car. Think granny is going to throw a 1,000 lb battery pack in the bed? .
No no one is. Why would a extended battery pack be the same size and the full car/truck battery pack? Why would someone invent a portable battery life extender so big you couldn't personally move it?
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 11:17 AM   #107
RWB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

To me the most interesting part of this is that we are debating the feasibility. I would have never thought 20 years ago that an electric car company would be in business and thriving. Like them or don't like them all of us should be interested in technology and the massive progress it's making.
RWB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #108
duckmanep
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
At what cost? $6-8K? Lotta folks drive long ranges more than a "few times" a year. I'm thinking of folks like Fishndude who drive all over the state putting on fishing events for kids pulling a trailer full of rods, gear, bait and prizes or tanks. Hell I do it 10-12 times a year minimum.

I'm not saying its for everyone. But I cannot remember the last time I drove my truck more than 300 miles in a single day. And I'd bet 90%+ of guys that drive trucks rarely make 300+ mile trips. When they do, seems like an extended battery pack you could rent & throw in the frunk or bed would make sense. The other 10% (including you and fnd) may not need an electric truck. And hopefully less demand on gasoline would bring gas prices down too.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 11:47 AM   #109
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Quote:
I'm not saying its for everyone. But I cannot remember the last time I drove my truck more than 300 miles in a single day. And I'd bet 90%+ of guys that drive trucks rarely make 300+ mile trips. When they do, seems like an extended battery pack you could rent & throw in the frunk or bed would make sense. The other 10% (including you and fnd) may not need an electric truck. And hopefully less demand on gasoline would bring gas prices down too.
I doubt it would have an effect gas prices. Once they can get enough people driving electric, they will the tax the ever loving **** out of people still using gas/diesel to get you into an electric.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 11:48 AM   #110
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default Who'll be first? E-F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlaise View Post
Good info.

What was the cost difference on the Lithium battery? And did you need to replace one for one?

A set of Trojan batteries ďratedĒ at similar capacity was $1,300íish. I paid $1,500 for the pair of lithiums. They are reclaimed from a salvaged Nissan Leaf car and have 97% original capacity remaining according to the battery management system. The issuable capacity of lithium is much better than lead acid. FLA batteries are considered dead when at 50% of capacity; lithium can be run down to 20% capacity before considered to be dead.

I did manage to get 6+ years out of my lead acid batteries but the maintenance requires to do that was a PITA. Not to mention they corroded everything that was connected to them. I usually had to replace terminals every other year, light bar relays every year, power out let sockets every year and not to mention the cleaning and treating of the terminals to try and keep the corrosion at bay there. Iím glad my cart has an aluminum frame, otherwise it would be toast because of the acid.

Charging would take 10-12 hours with the FLA batteries, the lithium will charge in 6 hours of run completely down. And lithium can be charged and topped off as often and youíd like whereas that is not recommended on FLA batteries.

Oh and the cart lost 350+# of weight.

Last edited by Mike D; 05-21-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 01:05 PM   #111
Mike D
Pope & Young

To get back on topic, this will be a good solution for folks that donít tow heavy and long distance or have the need to drive cross country.

If the truck fit my needs Iíd buy one.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:18 PM   #112
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteveo View Post
Their price point will sell the trucks. Under $40,000 for standard model, plus a tax break means you can get it for right at $33,000. They will sell like hot cakes.

Thatís the single cab work truck. The XLT STARTS at $55,000. 20,000 more than what you can get an XLT for now. With the truck empty the standard battery gets 230miles per charge. We all know how that goes. Probably 200 realistically. That basically means you couldnít drive from your house to our lease in Crockett and still have charge to get home. Is it the future? Yes. Am I willing to even consider getting one yet? No

FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #113
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Quote:

How long until meth and crackheads start stealing these batteries? $1000 catalytic converters are the big target right now... wait until they hear electric cars have a $10,000 battery.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 02:10 PM   #114
JHT
Pope & Young

You can fill it with enough batteries to never make a pit stop to drive across the USA.

The problem arises if it breaks down and you need to get it serviced.

Take a look at the map of Tesla dealerships.
Wherever you break down your looking at a tow to the nearest dealership.

In 10 years maybe the market will pick up outside bigger cities but for now the only real good play buying one is to stick close to home & daily drive it.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 02:24 PM   #115
txbowman12
Six Point

Hunt In: Fayette County

I reserved one, but I also have a 2022 (was 21 but decided to wait) bronco reservation. Gonna wait and see and pick one. I use my truck bed all the time, don't tow a crazy amount, and my work is 1.8 miles from my house. On paper it should work for me.

Only way I would do it though is if I put in a solar array on my garage to charge it. Always wanted a solar backup for the house, but batteries have been the shortcoming. If I can roll the cost of the powerbank into my vehicle cost, be able to charge it independently from the grid, and use it as a powergen backup in the event of a gasoline shortage...well that is intriguing to me. Worth a closer look at least. Thank the Lord my deer lease is 114 miles from my house!
txbowman12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #116
ken800
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
That’s the single cab work truck. The XLT STARTS at $55,000. 20,000 more than what you can get an XLT for now. With the truck empty the standard battery gets 230miles per charge. We all know how that goes. Probably 200 realistically. That basically means you couldn’t drive from your house to our lease in Crockett and still have charge to get home. Is it the future? Yes. Am I willing to even consider getting one yet? No

If you go back and read the press release, it said it would only be offered in supercrew 5.5. I assume that is across all trims -- i.e. base, xlt, etc. That could obviously change but that was my first thought as well. Basically an f150 xl short bed single cab and that's a no go at $33K. If it turns out to be a supercrew 5.5, a few hop ups and it'll be golden as far as I'm concerned.

"The F-150 Lightning is only available as a SuperCrew model with a 5.5-foot box, and it's an inch longer and 1.7 inches taller than the similarly equipped gas F-150. Its wheelbase and width are identical."
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 01:58 AM   #117
Aggie13
Four Point

Hunt In: Mills County

I'm very interested in this truck, but I need an 8ft bed and better towing before I'd invest.

The range is also something I'd like to see improved upon, but like someone already mentioned, give it some time, the range will increase, the battery price will eventually decrease when manufacturing catches up, or a second party will create an add on battery pack to extend range.

Going to let others go through the growing pains of a new "product" for awhile and work out the bugs, before jumping in.

I am excited to see Ford investing in this market, am interested to see how/if Chevy and Dodge answers the call.

Also I read that its driven by 4 independent motors, not sure if that means full time 4 wheel drive or if its selective and whether it's equipped with regenerative braking (would come in handy when towing).
Aggie13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 02:17 AM   #118
txhunt7
Eight Point

I think this is a ferry dream with the current power grid.
I don't understand the big idea when electricity has to be generated. I'd like to see the numbers because I think its all for nothing, until someone shows the numbers.
I'm still having fun smokin diesel with the tuned 6.7 powerstroke !
txhunt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 04:40 AM   #119
jason86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney county

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Are there places to charge them on the road? The range is whatís a killer for me. I canít make it to the lease on one charge. I imagine theyíll be like golf carts in the future, people getting rid of them because they need new batteries.
You donít go to the lease anyway 😬
jason86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 07:19 AM   #120
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

There will be lots of regret
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 07:26 AM   #121
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunt7 View Post
I think this is a ferry dream with the current power grid.
I don't understand the big idea when electricity has to be generated. I'd like to see the numbers because I think its all for nothing, until someone shows the numbers.
I'm still having fun smokin diesel with the tuned 6.7 powerstroke !
An power engineer of sorts put some numbers together for an article about the future of electric vehicles. To sum it up he said the average gas station sees close to 2000 cars a day in his area of California.
For that same station to see that same volume of electric cars and fast charge them it would have to produce enough electricity it could provide power to 10k houses. And cost each station 30 million to retro fit. Basically, a pipe dream
Old 05-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #122
Reel cajun
Six Point

And we all see the batteries in our phones and how the time it holds a charge diminishes as time goes on. So your range in your electric truck decreases as well. No thank you.
Reel cajun is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #123
scott123456789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lone Camp, TX

Is the real future of electric vehicles not some sort of system to charge while on the move? Thinking electric rail style with a powered cable above/below/beside to get power from while moving. Then you would pay to drive on the lane and charge while you move. Would have to make something semi universal so all companies could get power from.
scott123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 09:14 AM   #124
tgridley
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
The place to look when you want to see where a car a person like myself can afford in 10 years is to look at what companies like McLaren, Porsche, Ferarri, etc... are building today. The tech they build today takes about 10-15 years to get into vehicles for the masses. In another couple years, we will start seeing this set up in Mercedes, and BMW. Then it's just a matter of time until everyone has it. I recall in 2002 a Mercedes with a back up camera. I don't remember if it was a concept or a real car. I thought that was crazy. 2016 I think backup cameras became required by law, and every car had them.

So what engine/motor tech are these companies cars running today? A gas engine attached to an electric generator/motor, and they are capable of running on electric only, or a combination of both. Think of locomotives. They use a giant diesel generator to power electric motors. That is what will come to trucks before long. And that is what I am waiting for.

100% electric is not the answer until battery tech improves massively. And we are 50 years out from any big improvements on battery technology.
We are running lithium batteries in boats right now. They charge faster, last 10 to 12 years and are half the weight of lead batteries. So battery technology has come a long way and I would venture to say, not 50 years out.
tgridley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #125
Johnwayn34
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan4ut View Post
Not me. I will never buy a battery powered toy truck/car
^^Me Either^^ they are a joke and a waste of money.
Johnwayn34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 09:36 AM   #126
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I dont think the technology is there now but it will be. Guys saying these vehicles are a joke etc I bet have never driven one. I was a muscle car kid. Had a Falcon that was sub 12. Brother built and raced quarter mile trucks. I have never felt torque, snap, and ate up a take off like the first time I stomped a Tesla. Tesla has superchargers everywhere now. Full charge in 30-45 minutes. Once the distance gets over 500 miles it will be hard to argue. Heck all you guys spend that long in Bucees with your truck parked blocking a gas pump. Torque will far out pull a combustion power
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 09:36 AM   #127
friscopaint
Ten Point

And they are already talking a mileage tax to offset fuel taxes......
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 12:06 PM   #128
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
There will be lots of regret

I doubt it. Most people buying vehicles like this know what they are buying. And it will work well for lots of people.

Old 05-22-2021, 12:07 PM   #129
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel cajun View Post
And we all see the batteries in our phones and how the time it holds a charge diminishes as time goes on. So your range in your electric truck decreases as well. No thank you.

The same can be said for gas vehicles. They donít last forever and eventually needs replacing.

But in this look at me society very few people keep them long enough for that to happen so itís really a moot point.

Old 05-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #130
Mike D
Pope & Young

Default Who'll be first? E-F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
I dont think the technology is there now but it will be. Guys saying these vehicles are a joke etc I bet have never driven one. I was a muscle car kid. Had a Falcon that was sub 12. Brother built and raced quarter mile trucks. I have never felt torque, snap, and ate up a take off like the first time I stomped a Tesla. Tesla has superchargers everywhere now. Full charge in 30-45 minutes. Once the distance gets over 500 miles it will be hard to argue. Heck all you guys spend that long in Bucees with your truck parked blocking a gas pump. Torque will far out pull a combustion power

Agreed. People who have no clue about electric vehicles are making ignorant comments in here.

An electric motor provides 100% of its power immediately. A combustion engine through a parasitic loss drive train will never compete with that, period.

To make comments like toy truck and what not is just ignorant. I guess all those electric trains that pull Lord knows how many tons effortlessly are just toys too.

Old 05-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #131
OldRiverRat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Navarro County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayersh View Post
14-hrs is for the normal, every night charge to protect the life of the battery. Fast charging is available, but I think not recommended for everyday use.

It's definitely not intended to be used as a long-distance puller, but I can see the value/advantages of electric trucks for normal, everyday use & standard commutes.

Iíll probably buy one in 2024
My f250 has 140k so Iíll be ready to park it for trips only by then
Use the lightening for daily commute to work ~30 miles per day

OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 02:04 PM   #132
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

The discussion of how higher ambient air temps in the south wear harder on the electric vehicle batteries will be interesting to watch.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 02:14 PM   #133
Runnin4D
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotx View Post
When they come out with an F250 or 350 SRW in 4x4 I will take a look.
Because you never need either in diesel anyway... lol.
Runnin4D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #134
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

Attached Images

AlaskaFlyerFan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #135
BlackoutRam2500
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
And they are already talking a mileage tax to offset fuel taxes......
^^^^ This right here.

I have no issues with electric vehicle adoption and I work in Oil&Gas. EVs are not a threat so long as the world population continues to rise, and it will. 2 billion people are under served and considered energy poor in the world. I've said many times we need EVERYTHING we can produce in order to meet the demands of people first.

At the same time I don't want to give up my gas without knowing what the government and states are gonna do to recoup all these juicy "incentives" they have been dolling out for years. On top of all the unknowns, a lot of utility companies penalize you for consuming more energy thru high usage surcharges... how is that gonna work when you are trying to charge a vehicle every night?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
BlackoutRam2500 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 03:55 PM   #136
ken800
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

As an interesting side note the 80-amp Ford Charge Station Pro is built to use the truck's battery as a standby electric power system. It appears it comes standard on the XLT but the same charger is mentioned on the the "base" page. It's probably not yet known if that is an option but at my place, with enough solar that I can replace my daily usage if I'm plugged in during peak daytime, I kill several birds with one stone... Time will tell as we get more data on features, cost, etc.
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #137
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgridley View Post
We are running lithium batteries in boats right now. They charge faster, last 10 to 12 years and are half the weight of lead batteries. So battery technology has come a long way and I would venture to say, not 50 years out.
Yeah, my car has one. I would still bet money on 10-15 years out before trucks are truly better with them. And once they are better, watch out. 400 hp will be nothing then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
The discussion of how higher ambient air temps in the south wear harder on the electric vehicle batteries will be interesting to watch.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I'd bet it's a little like the cold and salt being hard on engines up north right now.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #138
BlackoutRam2500
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgridley View Post
It's interesting you mention reduced weight and batteries. These new F150 trucks are 35% heavier than their gas powered counterparts. Long-term that will mean more pollution, worse wrecks, and greater wear and tear on roads and bridges. There is an interesting article regarding this out today from Slate.

I just wonder how much real research has been done on every aspect by all these automobile companies that are pushing these vehicles out right now? Or are they more focused on politics of the moment and a quick buck?

BlackoutRam2500 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-24-2021, 04:37 PM   #139
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
It's interesting you mention reduced weight and batteries. These new F150 trucks are 35% heavier than their gas powered counterparts. Long-term that will mean more pollution, worse wrecks, and greater wear and tear on roads and bridges. There is an interesting article regarding this out today from Slate.

I just wonder how much real research has been done on every aspect by all these automobile companies that are pushing these vehicles out right now? Or are they more focused on politics of the moment and a quick buck?

It’s all about the $$$. Ford doesn’t care about saving the environment.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 11:04 AM   #140
XR650RRider
Six Point

Now that they are on the market. Real world towing test.

Last edited by XR650RRider; 07-01-2022 at 11:06 AM.
XR650RRider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 11:25 AM   #141
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I cant wait! I wish ford would open orders again.

I dont tow much(if I do I have access to a f350).

Our land is 138miles, I will install a charger there too.

We have a van for roadtrips.
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 11:28 AM   #142
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

OkayÖÖ
Attached Images

Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 11:39 AM   #143
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

TFL was saying it takes 77 kwh to get a full charge each night. That will be a significant electric bill if you have 2 electric vehicles.
bbqfan5909 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 11:43 AM   #144
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650RRider View Post
Now that they are on the market. Real world towing test.
Wow, that's bad. 700 ft lbs is no joke though.

One day the e-truck will work. Until then, diesel power it is.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 11:45 AM   #145
RedDogOutdoors
Four Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Sutton County, Uvalde County

Just got our first one at the small dealership I work at. They're pretty cool and have some crazy power, darn near throws your head and spins the back wheels when you punch it. Price is pretty crazy when you start moving up the line ours is a Lariat package, pretty fully decked out and is darn near almost $84k. The price for what you get in return is outrageous in my eyes, plus no one in the hill country can afford that kind of price tag with limited returns on true truck capabilities.
RedDogOutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 11:57 AM   #146
RJK70
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason County and Western States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogOutdoors View Post
Just got our first one at the small dealership I work at. They're pretty cool and have some crazy power, darn near throws your head and spins the back wheels when you punch it. Price is pretty crazy when you start moving up the line ours is a Lariat package, pretty fully decked out and is darn near almost $84k. The price for what you get in return is outrageous in my eyes, plus no one in the hill country can afford that kind of price tag with limited returns on true truck capabilities.

Are these truck all wheel drive?

RJK70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 11:57 AM   #147
flywise
Pope & Young

I met a guy who had a 6 year old tesla. He loved talking about it until as asked how far he could go on a charge. He said its 6 years old so it only gets about 250 miles.
Those cool batteries will fall flat eventually and then you have a huge piece of junk sitting there. The one article i read about battery replacement said it was 13k for that tesla.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:20 PM   #148
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLank View Post
Forgive my ignorance on how a Hybrid works.... but, are you saying the truck would have an internal combustion engine and an electric engine? Just, a much much more efficient system 10 years down the road from now after a lot more tweaking to the system? I like the sound of that better than electric only and very limited mileage.
They already have it on trains.
You should look at mpg on a train pulling all that weight, vs a empty half ton.
10 yrs ago a guy displayed (at the big motor trend show) a truck he built himself that was a hybrid.
1000 hp, 800ftlbs, and 100mpg.
Now imagine that technology 10 yrs ago, built at home nonetheless, and we can't get a truck that gets 30mpg while towing with today's technology .
Big oil/government is our problem.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 12:21 PM   #149
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
I met a guy who had a 6 year old tesla. He loved talking about it until as asked how far he could go on a charge. He said its 6 years old so it only gets about 250 miles.
Those cool batteries will fall flat eventually and then you have a huge piece of junk sitting there. The one article i read about battery replacement said it was 13k for that tesla.
Heck it cost me 13000.00 because im a dumb azz and put def in my diesel.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2022, 12:21 PM   #150
oktx
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Wise County

It will be good for you city boys.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top