Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-08-2022, 09:55 PM   #1
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop
Default Selling Land Without Realtor

So I know there have been several threads on this, but my search didnít pull up anything recent and since things are ever changing, thought I would start another and lean on the brain trust that is TBH.

Lengthy post, so bare with me as I lay this out. I recently learned from an acquaintance that they are considering selling their raw land. After discussing with them and viewing the property, weíre strongly interested in buying. He hasnít listed it yet, but mentioned if we didnít buy he was going to get it on the MLS and had no intentions on listing with a realtor.

In order to purchase this land, we would have to sell our current raw land. I need every dollar I can get on this property to pull this off, and want to try and sell it without a realtor as well. Rates have slightly cooled things here, but still white hot. A realtor friend of mine said it can absolutely be done in this market and encouraged me to try it.

Playing around online, it looks like there are several sites that will get it on the MLS for a flat fee. Anyone have any recommendations on this? Places to avoid? Anything else to do or keep in mind through this process? Iíll be working on a short timeline as the owner says he would give me 2 months to close a deal on the current property in order to acquire his. Any help here would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2022, 09:59 PM   #2
Uncle_Milty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine, CO

List it for sale on Zillow and within 24hrs you will have brokers from across the US blowing your phone up offering to put it on the MLS for a flat fee.

I would ask your realtor friend what they would charge to put it on the MLS. There broker may not let them but worth a shot and you would be giving that fee to a friend rather than someone you don’t know.
Uncle_Milty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2022, 10:00 PM   #3
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerrville

Exposure is your friend. However you can do that. List your property on here and possibly get the ball rolling. Most folks will try to lowball you on your property since “you won’t be paying realtor fees”. But if the market is hot enough that may not come into play.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2022, 10:00 PM   #4
The Crippler
Ten Point

Raw land, not your homestead 1031 that b****. I donít know how you get on MLS without a real estate license but I would suggest paying SabineHunter a couple hundred bucks to review your legal docs.

The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2022, 10:13 PM   #5
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Check out listingspark. $7 a day for mls. You still probably will need to offer to pay 3% to the buyers agents or they likely won't show it to their clients.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2022, 10:21 PM   #6
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler View Post
Raw land, not your homestead 1031 that b****. I donít know how you get on MLS without a real estate license but I would suggest paying SabineHunter a couple hundred bucks to review your legal docs.

Yes sir, learned that today consulting with my tax gal. Forgot the 500k only applied to the homestead. Got a guy lined up for it!

Good recommendation on the review, thanks!

Old 06-08-2022, 10:23 PM   #7
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Colton, got no answers to your question of who... But get it on MLS ASAP. If Zillow is an avenue, go for it.
Also, I'd follow Cripplers advice.
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2022, 11:05 PM   #8
Diamond07
Eight Point

Hunt In: Webb

Long shot, but does this land happen to be in Mcdade?
Diamond07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2022, 11:16 PM   #9
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch Counties

I’ve bought several properties by driving by and seeing a for sale sign.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 12:19 AM   #10
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sonora/Sutton County

It can be down is done quite often. Have a buddy I’m near rosanky buying and selling tracts like crazy without a realtor. Just pay someone to draw up documents and you’re good.

Like team America said, a buyers agent won’t want to show it to their client if there isn’t something in it for them. I know plenty agents that don’t take clients to listings that are under 2%. It’ll be a little harder but can be done.

Pm Sent
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 12:42 AM   #11
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
Check out listingspark. $7 a day for mls. You still probably will need to offer to pay 3% to the buyers agents or they likely won't show it to their clients.

I hate Listing Spark. But thatís my opinion. They suck to deal with and donít know if they should pee or Ö.

DFWPI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 07:17 AM   #12
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerrville

You can get your own docs from a title company
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 08:01 AM   #13
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, Kimble

Itís been my experience that a realtor will sell the property at least 6% higher than you could without representation so I never worried about the fees.

Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 08:12 AM   #14
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
It’s been my experience that a realtor will sell the property at least 6% higher than you could without representation so I never worried about the fees.

These days they are getting much higher than that 6% in most cases. Much more. TREC forms I'm pretty sure can be downloaded from their site by anyone. A title company will make sure the forms are correct only where they need them to be. They will not give you ins and outs on the deal unless you want to pay their attorney to represent.

Sounds like the OP has a deal working already between friends so they basically need a contract between them that they carry to the title company.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 08:17 AM   #15
jaspermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Doole

Not sure where the land is but it’s worth a conversation with a couple of agents in the area. Right now, most have a list of potential buyers and what they are looking for. You can do a one time showing for 3-5% but just tell them your bottom line of what you need out of it. I have sold a dozen or so tracts this year the day I listed them by making a couple of calls or talking to the neighbors.

Selling it by yourself is an easy process, but it could cost you a lot of time and money.
jaspermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 08:26 AM   #16
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

I sold some property 6 months ago without listing with an agent. You can get everything that you need from a title company.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 08:27 AM   #17
CoolHandLuke
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler View Post

I see what you did!
CoolHandLuke is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 09:25 AM   #18
techzan
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

I use www.landsoftexas.com ($75/month) & use the title company for the docs.

Last edited by techzan; 06-09-2022 at 09:37 AM.
techzan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 10:14 AM   #19
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

My question is how do you get an accurate appraisal / market analysis report without using an agent? I’m currently trying to buy a family member out of some joint owned raw land. No realtor has been willing to help me get an accurate value put together without wanting several hundred dollars for their time (clicking a few buttons on their online portal).
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #20
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville
Default Selling Land Without Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
My question is how do you get an accurate appraisal / market analysis report without using an agent? Iím currently trying to buy a family member out of some joint owned raw land. No realtor has been willing to help me get an accurate value put together without wanting several hundred dollars for their time (clicking a few buttons on their online portal).

Have you tried hiring an appraiser?

Regarding the OPs post, put a big for sale sign off front of thereís any traffic on the frontage road.

I donít see why people are insisting in relatives in a market like this. Iíve bought 2 of my 5 homes for sale by owner. Itís really not that tough. Use a title company. Use an appraiser. Realtors are just mafia middle men.

Last edited by kyle1974; 06-09-2022 at 10:19 AM.
kyle1974 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 10:20 AM   #21
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Quote:
My question is how do you get an accurate appraisal / market analysis report without using an agent? Iím currently trying to buy a family member out of some joint owned raw land. No realtor has been willing to help me get an accurate value put together without wanting several hundred dollars for their time (clicking a few buttons on their online portal).
A land appraiser?

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 10:35 AM   #22
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee View Post
A land appraiser?

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk
Iím just now beginning the research but the two quotes I had were 800 and 1,000 dollars to get an appraisal. Iím not local to where the two properties are, one is in Colorado. The Family member is not 100% sure he wants to sell but weíve talked about it briefly. I was more hoping to get a close ballpark number to help me get a game plan and help with the initial serious conversation/proposal. Iíve researched on my own on the basic online sites for similar properties for sale and they vary quite a bit.

Didnít mean to get side tracked from OP thread.
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 01:14 PM   #23
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

Sounds like everyone is wanting all the benefits of hiring an agent, but just don't want to pay for it.

Quote:
There is definitely a lot more involved than just clicking a few buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1974 View Post
Realtors are just mafia middle men.
Wow. Ok.
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 01:52 PM   #24
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post
Sounds like everyone is wanting all the benefits of hiring an agent, but just don't want to pay for it.

There is definitely a lot more involved than just clicking a few buttons.

Wow. Ok.
stay away from the evil realtors.
mmoses is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 02:07 PM   #25
4x4 AG
Eight Point

Hunt In: Fredericksburg

We have an option that allows folks that want to do it all their self use us to list it and we charge a low flat rate. but with that, you only get the listing and minimal input from our end.
If you are willing to do all the work yourself, get a flat rate lister. I have a couple in the Bastrop area I could refer you to.
But if you want all the duties that a Realtor provides, you have to be willing to pay for that. So you have to decide that.
4x4 AG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 03:33 PM   #26
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Quote:
Which is? Im just exploring what options are out there for the self seller to take advantage of for exposure. Im certainly competent enough to handle everything else. I understand these threads will bring out the realtors defending their profession. I'm not bashing, just trying to stretch every dollar I can to pull this deal off.

So I circled back with my realtor friend with a few questions, and she made the comment that she would not be collecting commission as a friend, it would just be the 3% for the buyer's agent should one bring us a buyer. I can make that work to push this along more. You can bet Ill be praying tonight for the Lord to guide us through on this one.

Last edited by solocam_aggie; 06-09-2022 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:59 PM   #27
Bill M
Pope & Young

I'm sorry, as her friend, you should pay her 1% for her time and trouble IMO. Good luck with your deal going forward.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:17 PM   #28
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brown Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
I'm sorry, as her friend, you should pay her 1% for her time and trouble IMO. Good luck with your deal going forward.
We recently bought 3 pieces of land with no realtor. Title company took care of everything except the simple purchase and sell agreement I cobbled together.

Sold another with no realtor. Paid a niece a flat fee to list it.
I showed it myself.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 05:47 PM   #29
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam_aggie View Post
Which is? Im just exploring what options are out there for the self seller to take advantage of for exposure. Im certainly competent enough to handle everything else. I understand these threads will bring out the realtors defending their profession. I'm not bashing, just trying to stretch every dollar I can to pull this deal off.

So I circled back with my realtor friend with a few questions, and she made the comment that she would not be collecting commission as a friend, it would just be the 3% for the buyer's agent should one bring us a buyer. I can make that work to push" this along more. You can bet Ill be praying tonight for the Lord to guide us through on this one.
"Which is" pretty much everything you are asking about. Man I get it. Not knocking you. Every seller wants to maximize their $$. And every buyer wants to pay as little as possible. There is some good advice on here and some that is not so good. Generally speaking, a Realtor will get you more $$ than you will get as a FSBO. And having someone represent YOUR interests is a good thing. Some see the value, some don't. There can be a lot of moving parts to a real estate transaction. Some are fairly easy, some are not. Hopefully yours goes smoothly. But I'd pay your friend something for helping you.
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 06:12 PM   #30
Bill M
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pig View Post
We recently bought 3 pieces of land with no realtor. Title company took care of everything except the simple purchase and sell agreement I cobbled together.

Sold another with no realtor. Paid a niece a flat fee to list it.
I showed it myself.
Not sure what this has to do with my statement to the OP. Sounds like you had it going on. He said his friend would do it as a friend for -0- and I stated as her friend he should pay her something, that's it. My opinion for what it may be worth.

Chance is spot on. My wife does some deals that I'd swear all she makes is about a buck fifty an hour as much time and effort as she puts into it. Some are easier.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:19 PM   #31
LAW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Salado,Junction,Mullin

You can do it yourself, but a real estate professional will probably more than earn there commission.
LAW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 06:38 PM   #32
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brown Co.

[QUOTE=Bill M;16253290]Not sure what this has to do with my statement to the OP. Sounds like you had it going on. He said his friend would do it as a friend for -0- and I stated as her friend he should pay her something, that's it. My opinion for what it may be worth.

I was trying to agree that he should pay her something like we did the niece. But we paid a flat fee. Sorry to confuse the thread.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 07:47 PM   #33
techzan
Six Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:
"Which is" pretty much everything you are asking about. Man I get it. Not knocking you. Every seller wants to maximize their $$. And every buyer wants to pay as little as possible. There is some good advice on here and some that is not so good. Generally speaking, a Realtor will get you more $$ than you will get as a FSBO. And having someone represent YOUR interests is a good thing. Some see the value, some don't. There can be a lot of moving parts to a real estate transaction. Some are fairly easy, some are not. Hopefully yours goes smoothly. But I'd pay your friend something for helping you.
Honest question- how does a realtor get more money than someone doing FSBO?
techzan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 08:11 PM   #34
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Didnít say I wasnít going to give her a kick back guys. My moral compass is stronger than that. Weíve already worked together when she represented me as a buyer for the property and made the same agreement.

Old 06-09-2022, 08:32 PM   #35
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techzan View Post
Honest question- how does a realtor get more money than someone doing FSBO?

Properly price the property and will get it in front of the right buyer to get you full price offers. Instead of getting low balls and not knowing any better so you accept it.

westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 08:45 PM   #36
hfd39
Ten Point

Hunt In: JUNCTION

I placed an ad on Facebook for sale by owner had multiple full price offers in a week. Had to take down the ad due to too many responses. Sold it with no realtor and had title company do all the work. I have never used or paid a realtor. No need to especially in this market. The neighbors could not believe how much I got cash offer too!
hfd39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2022, 08:54 PM   #37
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the World

My advise as a professional land broker with 14 years expericance…..unless you have done a few prior land deals, don’t buy or sell without a experienced agent or broker.

So many things to go over, a title company isn’t gonna have anyones interests in mind and it’s not their job to. At the very least have an attorney go over everything prior to signing.

Just because you can close a deal with no agents does not mean it was done the right way, and mistakes can cost you both financially and in time and mental anguish.
txtrophy85 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top