Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-19-2022, 05:35 PM   #201
F1addict
Six Point

Hunt In: Hays Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpEnd View Post
Do the Sprint Race results determine grid position for the GP?
Yes, you are correct.
F1addict is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2022, 06:14 PM   #202
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1addict View Post
It's RACE WEEK!!! This week is Imola, Italy. It's also our first Sprint Race / Qualifying weekend.

All times are Central:
Friday, April 22nd
6:30am - Free Practice 1
10:00am - Qualifying for the Sprint Race

Saturday, April 23rd
5:30am - Free Pactice 2
9:30am - Sprint Race

Sunday, April 24th
8:00am - Grand Prix

Ferrari has decided NOT to bring their engine upgrades to Italy, instead waiting for Barcelona, Spain.

I'm certain Ferrari will be quickest. But I have a ton of questions -- How bad will porpoising be on this track? Will Red Bull be able to tame the reliability monster? Can McLaren keep the pace as last race? Has Mercedes gained power since the last race?

Should be a great weekend!
Imola will be electric this weekend. That Easter break really messed up my vibe......as I was fired up.....lol.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2022, 06:43 PM   #203
F1addict
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Imola will be electric this weekend. That Easter break really messed up my vibe......as I was fired up.....lol.

You getting excited about Miami?
Old 04-19-2022, 06:53 PM   #204
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
You getting excited about Miami?
Over the moon!!!! Parking pass came this week for everyday events. My wife even looking at YouTube videos of the venue layout.....gonna be if there are no hitches for a brand new venue.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:55 PM   #205
F1addict
Six Point

Quote:
Over the moon!!!! Parking pass came this week for everyday events. My wife even looking at YouTube videos of the venue layout.....gonna be if there are no hitches for a brand new venue.

That's awesome!! You guys are going to have a great time. Take a ton of pictures for us.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:16 PM   #206
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
That's awesome!! You guys are going to have a great time. Take a ton of pictures for us.
Will deaux!!!!

Old 04-19-2022, 09:01 PM   #207
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpEnd View Post
That was a fantastic race. MotoGP is some of the best pure racing, even though they have more driver aids than in the past, it is usually thrilling to watch.

Poetry in motions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2022, 09:12 PM   #208
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Poetry in motions

Dem boyz are loco....but badazz!!!

Old 04-21-2022, 11:25 AM   #209
F1addict
Six Point

Carlos Sainz extends his Ferrari contract through 2024.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...tZsAYkBh7.html
Old 04-21-2022, 02:37 PM   #210
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Carlos Sainz extends his Ferrari contract through 2024.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...tZsAYkBh7.html
Good move....they doing it this year!!!

Old 04-21-2022, 02:54 PM   #211
F1addict
Six Point

I thought this was an interesting illustration. There are 8 drivers who's contracts are up this year.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:10 AM   #212
F1addict
Six Point

Free Practice 1 this morning was rainy. LeClerc and Sainz were quickest, with Verstappen in third. Haas was fourth and fifth -- Magnussen then Schumacher. Mercedes seems to still be struggling, as does McLaren.

Qualifying is an hour away.

Old 04-22-2022, 11:36 AM   #213
F1addict
Six Point

Qualifying Q1 update:

Alex Albon's right rear brake caught fire and exploded, which put him out for the session. The other four knocked out -- Ocon in the Alpine, Latifi in the other Williams, and both Alpha Tauri Gasly and Tsunoda.

Hamilton finished 15th... barely missed getting knocked out.

Q2 starts shortly.
Old 04-22-2022, 12:02 PM   #214
F1addict
Six Point

Qualifying Q2 update:

All teams get out quick, to set a time on a fairly dry track, because rain is on the way.

Sainz sets a quick time, but then has an off and into a barrier. This brings out a Red Flag for the session. During the stopped session, the rain starts to come down.

After the session resumes (with over ten minutes left), only a few drivers come out. With the rain, there is no way they can improve the dry times. So there is no point risking damage to the cars.

Q2 finishes - Verstappen, Sainz, Norris, Perez then LeClerc
Knocked out - Russell, Schumacher, Hamilton, Zhou and Stroll
Old 04-22-2022, 12:43 PM   #215
F1addict
Six Point

The rain had stopped when Q3 started. So the track was wet, but drying.

Kevin Magnussen had a spin, but got it going again out of the gravel trap. This brought out a quick Red Flag.

With three minutes left in the session, Bottas pulled off with some sort of mechanical issue. This brought out ANOTHER Red Flag.

When the session restarted, the rain had started again. It would be difficult to improve on the earlier times, but they need to try. Norris goes off with only two minutes left in the session. Another Red Flag, and the end of the session.

So this is how the grid lines up tomorrow for the Sprint Session:

Old 04-22-2022, 09:47 PM   #216
SC-001
Eight Point

Ah Imola this weekend, long live Senna.
SC-001 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2022, 11:08 AM   #217
F1addict
Six Point

A fantastic Sprint Session!!!

LeClerc took the lead at the first turn, and kept it until Verstappen took it back on lap 20.

Both Perez and Sainz did fantastic jobs climbing up through the field.

Norris and Ricciardo did great for McLaren. Magnussen in the Haas did a good job holding on to 8th. Bottas finished 7th.

There was so much great racing!! Can't wait for tomorrow's race!

Old 04-23-2022, 01:55 PM   #218
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

I had been wondering why especially Ferrari had so much rear end bounce. Apparently this is the first year in 30 of ground effects being on the cars, and the teams have not figured out the aero yet. For all the money these teams dump into aero, one would think it would have been resolved before the season started.

Wild to watch.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-23-2022, 03:43 PM   #219
TexanDuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr County

Watching the cars bounce like that is insane. As a Ferrari fan I feel like if the engineers were to address the ground effect/ porpoising issues, they’d be a permanent fixture on the podium

TexanDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2022, 02:56 PM   #220
Landrover
Pope & Young

Today's race was exciting for the most part. Ferrari was just snake bit. Riccardo bumping Sainz was not much but it could have been more scrutinized in my opinion. LeClerc changing tires to get a fastest lap point was misplaced bravado at best. He had one helluva race and the home crowd was loving it. I was happy to see Lando on the podium!!!! Gonna be a looooong two weeks for Mercedes before Miami. The car was bouncing around and had a lack of power. Russell did a masterful job to hold on to 4th, as Bottas was on his butt!!!! Hamilton started 14th, ended 13th but never got closer than 11th!!! Miami will be a very telling GP. It's a long season but improvements must be made before Miami.

Old 04-24-2022, 03:00 PM   #221
Landrover
Pope & Young

Per points......all the usual suspects are right in the hunt. Mercedes get right sided they can easily be in the Top 2 or 3 before the break. Like I mentioned lots of season left!!!

Old 04-24-2022, 06:55 PM   #222
DaveC
Pope & Young

Quote:
Today's race was exciting for the most part. Ferrari was just snake bit. Riccardo bumping Sainz was not much but it could have been more scrutinized in my opinion. LeClerc changing tires to get a fastest lap point was misplaced bravado at best. He had one helluva race and the home crowd was loving it. I was happy to see Lando on the podium!!!! Gonna be a looooong two weeks for Mercedes before Miami. The car was bouncing around and had a lack of power. Russell did a masterful job to hold on to 4th, as Bottas was on his butt!!!! Hamilton started 14th, ended 13th but never got closer than 11th!!! Miami will be a very telling GP. It's a long season but improvements must be made before Miami.

Here's some audio of Daniel Ricciardo being told the finishing line-up / Lando getting 3rd...
Hearing your teammate placed 3rd when you are struggling to click with your car must sting a smidge.
It's not graphic or anything, you can just visualize the "what did I just hear" double take when he asked to get it repeated.

https://youtu.be/HpIfaqBBw5k
Old 04-25-2022, 11:47 AM   #223
F1addict
Six Point

Yes, Ferrari was definitely snake bit yesterday. Glad to see both Red Bulls finish.

At this point in the season, I don't think anyone is out of the hunt yet for the championship. A LOT of season left.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:20 PM   #224
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Here's some audio of Daniel Ricciardo being told the finishing line-up / Lando getting 3rd...

Hearing your teammate placed 3rd when you are struggling to click with your car must sting a smidge.

It's not graphic or anything, you can just visualize the "what did I just hear" double take when he asked to get it repeated.

https://youtu.be/HpIfaqBBw5k
He seemed cool with the news to me actually. Lando is one of my guys but his race outside of getting off the start was rather pedestrian. Ferrari oops moment definitely was mana from heaven for him.........which was .

Old 04-25-2022, 02:24 PM   #225
DaveC
Pope & Young

Quote:
He seemed cool with the news to me actually. Lando is one of my guys but his race outside of getting off the start was rather pedestrian. Ferrari oops moment definitely was mana from heaven for him.........which was .

Old 04-25-2022, 02:27 PM   #226
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Be interesting to see what they say on the "Any Given Monday" show.
Oh, looks like Hamilton plans to stay put as long as he and Toto can work together.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:53 PM   #227
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria & Reăl county

Well it looks like Porsche and Audi will both be joining F1 after getting formal approval internally. From what I have read Porsche will likely partner with Red Bull in hopes to build a "long term relationship" i.e. take over power unit business with RB Powersports and Audi has $556 million up for a partnership with McLaren. Interesting in that last bit is that Audi has stated they intend to provide their own power unit and McLaren currently runs a Mercedes PU. It seems likely that Porsche would come in as a sponsor in the short term with Red Bull before becoming anything that contributed to the team in a meaningful way and likely the same with Audi.

Also interesting that VW (parent company for both Porsche and Audi) has invested more than any other manufacturer in electric vehicle technology due to their diesel gate issues and now, they are joining F1 and not Formula E. It appears they are targeting the 2026 regulation change as their real segway into the grid and leveraging their knowledge in the electric space as a way in with successful teams.
Wall_Hanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-03-2022, 04:15 PM   #228
F1addict
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
Well it looks like Porsche and Audi will both be joining F1 after getting formal approval internally. From what I have read Porsche will likely partner with Red Bull in hopes to build a "long term relationship" i.e. take over power unit business with RB Powersports and Audi has $556 million up for a partnership with McLaren. Interesting in that last bit is that Audi has stated they intend to provide their own power unit and McLaren currently runs a Mercedes PU. It seems likely that Porsche would come in as a sponsor in the short term with Red Bull before becoming anything that contributed to the team in a meaningful way and likely the same with Audi.

Also interesting that VW (parent company for both Porsche and Audi) has invested more than any other manufacturer in electric vehicle technology due to their diesel gate issues and now, they are joining F1 and not Formula E. It appears they are targeting the 2026 regulation change as their real segway into the grid and leveraging their knowledge in the electric space as a way in with successful teams.
I thought Audi was trying to buy McLaren. Did I read that wrong?
Old 05-03-2022, 11:24 PM   #229
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Quote:
I thought Audi was trying to buy McLaren. Did I read that wrong?

Browns comments were that McLaren wasn’t looking for an equity partner but if Audi was going to enter the sport they should be talking. Paraphrasing of course. I don’t think McLaren will give it up but could see a McLaren junior team?
Old 05-04-2022, 10:40 AM   #230
F1addict
Six Point

Quote:
Browns comments were that McLaren wasn’t looking for an equity partner but if Audi was going to enter the sport they should be talking. Paraphrasing of course. I don’t think McLaren will give it up but could see a McLaren junior team?
Yes, that makes sense. A McLaren junior team for be awesome!

On the Shift F1 podcast this week, they talked about this. Porsche is looking to partner with a team (most likely Red Bull) to become their engine supplier. Audi wants a full team and is in talks with several teams to either acquire them or "partner" with them in a larger capacity than Porsche is thinking.

Not sure if any of those scenarios don't work out, they will launch an 11th team (or 12th, thinking Andretti).
Old 05-04-2022, 11:17 AM   #231
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes, that makes sense. A McLaren junior team for be awesome!

On the Shift F1 podcast this week, they talked about this. Porsche is looking to partner with a team (most likely Red Bull) to become their engine supplier. Audi wants a full team and is in talks with several teams to either acquire them or "partner" with them in a larger capacity than Porsche is thinking.

Not sure if any of those scenarios don't work out, they will launch an 11th team (or 12th, thinking Andretti).
I would love, and think it reasonably probable, for Andretti to ditch Alfa and join up with Audi. Porsche apparently had an engine program in the 90's that they abandoned....unsure the circumstances of that but read/heard that recently.

I like Shift but those guys get me going with their BS about big oil and Petro-States....they are race commentary and its pretty rough on the listener when they get too far from their fairway. I listen every week none the less.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:45 PM   #232
F1addict
Six Point

BTW -- it's RACE WEEK!!!! Miami!!!

Here is the schedule for the weekend:
(all times Central)
Friday, 5/6 - 1:30pm - Free Practice 1
Friday, 5/6 - 4:30pm - Free Practice 2
Saturday, 5/7 - 12:00pm - Free Practice 3
Saturday, 5/7 - 3:00pm - Qualifying
Sunday, 5/8 - 2:30pm - Race

I know Landrover is going to the race. Anybody else?
Old 05-05-2022, 09:09 AM   #233
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

LandRover we are expecting lots of photo documentary for the inaugural Miami GP
Old 05-05-2022, 10:17 AM   #234
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanDuke View Post
Watching the cars bounce like that is insane. As a Ferrari fan I feel like if the engineers were to address the ground effect/ porpoising issues, they’d be a permanent fixture on the podium

It's really wild. Other teams have the issue, but the Ferrari's get it real bad. I would love to see the wind tunnel data and airflow models, or be a fly on the wall in the wind tunnel itself. Based on the way the aero is on the current car (The sidepods), it looks like a lot of air gets channeled under the car, far more then other MFG's.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-05-2022, 10:50 AM   #235
F1addict
Six Point

Quote:
LandRover we are expecting lots of photo documentary for the inaugural Miami GP
Definitely!! Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:53 PM   #236
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Definitely!! Can't wait to see the pics.
Key West was nice but i could not wait to get here!!!!
P1 is LOUD here at the pits!!!!

Old 05-06-2022, 03:35 PM   #237
F1addict
Six Point

Awesome pics!! Enjoy this weekend!
Old 05-06-2022, 03:38 PM   #238
F1addict
Six Point

Free Practice 1 results:

Old 05-06-2022, 04:21 PM   #239
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Brown Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

I thought this race was supposed to be in downtown Miami, kind of disappointing watching P1, Las Vegas race on the strip next year will be the real deal
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2022, 07:00 PM   #240
TexanDuke
Ten Point

Default 2022 Formula 1 Season!!

Was disappointed Crashlos Sainz couldn’t figure it out. Also heard that he doesn’t have the same updated motor that leclerc does? Hopefully they get him up to speed by the next GP

Last edited by TexanDuke; 05-06-2022 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:43 PM   #241
SC-001
Eight Point

Meh its a parking lot course
SC-001 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-06-2022, 11:51 PM   #242
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Based on what I have seen so far I think we are going to be in for an exciting race. Guys are trying to figure out the track for sure. That section between turn 13 and 16 seemed to have guys guessing on what the best line is.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-07-2022, 03:51 PM   #243
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
Based on what I have seen so far I think we are going to be in for an exciting race. Guys are trying to figure out the track for sure. That section between turn 13 and 16 seemed to have guys guessing on what the best line is.
Agreed.....gonna be FAST and most predicting buckwild!!! We headed over to the qualifying now.

Old 05-07-2022, 03:52 PM   #244
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quick pics!!!

Last edited by Landrover; 05-07-2022 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 04:33 PM   #245
DaveC
Pope & Young

Great Pics LR!

Keep em coming when ya can
Old 05-07-2022, 05:02 PM   #246
TexanDuke
Ten Point

Ferrari

Boys in red are Lookin Quick

Old 05-07-2022, 05:04 PM   #247
F1addict
Six Point

Great pics Landrover! Keep em coming!
Old 05-07-2022, 05:05 PM   #248
F1addict
Six Point

Ferrari is fastest in Qualifying.

LeClerc, Sainz lead Verstappen and Perez. Bottas is fifth and Hamilton is sixth.

Old 05-08-2022, 04:18 PM   #249
TexanDuke
Ten Point

Watching the Ferrari bounce like this is unreal. Shows how talented Sainz and LeClerc are to be this competitive with a car that Charl literally just said is “so hard to drive”

Old 05-08-2022, 05:36 PM   #250
Landrover
Pope & Young

Talk about a BLAST!!! Tons of action on this straight away. People are going crazy.....lol!!! we will be back next year but now gotta persuade momma we need to get Canada tickets!!!