Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-08-2022, 12:42 PM   #51
SC-001
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
I'm just pizzed, because I scouted a 14 point Buck for 3 years and I had promised myself to kill it with my bow. I saw it twice while I had my rifle, once it was 300 yards and the other time about 270 yards. I probably could have taken it, but I decided not to.... I saw it 5 more times when working and clearing brush, all within 100 yards....

Then last year a guy who lives close by there, sends me a pic of that buck he shot at 80 yards with his crossbow....

I was always against Crossbows, but ever since then, I'm more adamant about speaking against it.
Cool story bro
That can of worms was opened in 2009 and is not getting closed, especially all the money they make off them fancy Ravins.
SC-001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 12:50 PM   #52
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Grayson should be atlatl only for deer. Just think how big they would get .
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 12:50 PM   #53
ATI
Ten Point

Hunt In: TEXAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
lol!
ATI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 12:53 PM   #54
Ruttin&Struttin
Ten Point

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

Just wondering. How many of you guys for or against this actually live in the country? I do. I have 3 bullet holes in my gate that were reported to the sheriff's department yesterday. Safety grievances are very real. Collin county had over 700 instances last year regarding bullets crossing property lines hitting personal properties or people. I don't have the Grayson numbers but i know its not 0. Nothing to worry about folks. Pig hunters and target shooters aren't dangerous so neither will deer hunters using guns.
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 01:03 PM   #55
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
Just wondering. How many of you guys for or against this actually live in the country? I do. I have 3 bullet holes in my gate that were reported to the sheriff's department yesterday. Safety grievances are very real. Collin county had over 700 instances last year regarding bullets crossing property lines hitting personal properties or people. I don't have the Grayson numbers but i know its not 0. Nothing to worry about folks. Pig hunters and target shooters aren't dangerous so neither will deer hunters using guns.
Thank you!

I live near by but I'm glad an actual adjacent land owner finally chimed in . Even at the public Hunting access areas you can see how people shot everything to he77, there's holes in almost every metal object that's out there. Some people are stupid.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:06 PM   #56
db@100
Ten Point

I don't understand why, just because "you" don't like or do how someone else does something, you think it should be stopped.

How about, too many fish are being caught, ban barbed hooks and side scans.
Too many doves are being killed. Only allow .410 to be used.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 01:34 PM   #57
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:

Quote:
Thank you!

I live near by but I'm glad an actual adjacent land owner finally chimed in . Even at the public Hunting access areas you can see how people shot everything to he77, there's holes in almost every metal object that's out there. Some people are stupid.

I live out in the county. No bullet holes anywhere on my place and me and all my neighbors shoot guns regularly. But we are not idiots.

But even if I did I wouldnít want to restrict anyones right to shoot on their property. You donít restrict everybody for the idiocy of a few, or at least thatís how it should be. You deal with the idiots and leave everybody else the hell alone.

And just like in the other 5,10,15 or however many threads there are on this topic I will never support restrictions on fellow hunters legal methods of taking game. If itís good for the rest of the state it should be good there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 01:35 PM   #58
Grayson
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Quote:
Convicted felons definitely shouldn't be hunting with firearms, we can all agree on that, can't we?
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 01:49 PM   #59
ATI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I live out in the county. No bullet holes anywhere on my place and me and all my neighbors shoot guns regularly. But we are not idiots.

But even if I did I wouldnít want to restrict anyones right to shoot on their property. You donít restrict everybody for the idiocy of a few, or at least thatís how it should be. You deal with the idiots and leave everybody else the hell alone.

And just like in the other 5,10,15 or however many threads there are on this topic I will never support restrictions on fellow hunters legal methods of taking game. If itís good for the rest of the state it should be good there.

Property owners are not affected by this law (I don't think!) and should be able to use rifle on their property. The law is for public land hunters.

All this talk is worthless, nothing will change, they will continue to keep it the way it is and if they allow deer hunting it will be Bow only.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:53 PM   #60
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

All I want to know is when did the state of Texas start using DMUxx???
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 01:55 PM   #61
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Thumbs up

Ahhhh, glad to get this link Dale!!! I signed it, sent to others I know, and also donated to reaching the goal.

Last edited by Landrover; 03-08-2022 at 02:03 PM.
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 02:12 PM   #62
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post

several of them are taking a leftist approach to this, IMO: cherry pick a few extreme, worst-case scenario arguments in order to ban what they don't want. Kinda like the left with guns, if we're honest.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #63
bullets13
Ten Point

Quote:
some jackass shot your gate (intentionally) with a gun. better not allow gun hunting for deer! seems reasonable, and not at all self-serving.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:14 PM   #64
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
I started to make that comment...then figured some idiot would show up and get all serious, so I didn't. Some folks can grab a torch and carry it to their grave over the dumbest crap, so I refrained from drawing their "ire", lest I be hearing about it decades from now
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 02:53 PM   #65
Ruttin&Struttin
Ten Point

Hunt In: North Texas, South East Texas, Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
some jackass shot your gate (intentionally) with a gun. better not allow gun hunting for deer! seems reasonable, and not at all self-serving.
Thanks for the well thought out and sarcast comment. But you have helped me with food for thought. Self serving is an interesting concept. I hadn't really considered the fact that me not wanting my family or myself shot from a stray bullet to be self serving. But now that you brought it to my attention I will think on this. Thank you sir.

Also, that gate being shot was not done intentionally. If it was, the shooter would have had to use two different rounds and intentionally shot in different areas of the gate while laying or sitting on a county road. The trajectory was too flat to be someone standing or shooting from a car window. I also have posted signs and an address sign on the gates. No holes. Possibly they are too easy to shoot? Maybe it was a 3 foot tall guy that liked the challenge of shooting a small target so he walked up and shot my gate? Or maybe the bullets came from another property. We will never know.
Ruttin&Struttin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 03:30 PM   #66
txbowman12
Six Point

Hunt In: Fayette County

Quote:
I'm just pizzed, because I scouted a 14 point Buck for 3 years and I had promised myself to kill it with my bow. I saw it twice while I had my rifle, once it was 300 yards and the other time about 270 yards. I probably could have taken it, but I decided not to.... I saw it 5 more times when working and clearing brush, all within 100 yards....

Then last year a guy who lives close by there, sends me a pic of that buck he shot at 80 yards with his crossbow....

I was always against Crossbows, but ever since then, I'm more adamant about speaking against it.

So you're ****** because you put restrictions on yourself on how you would harvest an animal that belongs to the state, and someone else shot him, and so you want the government to put the same restrictions on everyone else that you put on yourself? I completely understand the frustration, but that doesn't make a lot of sense if you think about it.

By your logic, if compound bows should get preference to crossbows, shouldn't trad bows get preference to compound? You are just drawing an arbitrary line right past your method of hunting and declaring it to be the right way to hunt.

Getting up close to a mature buck is hard, that's why I bow hunt, a compound bow is not particularly hard to shoot accurately. If I wanted to make the actual shot harder I would go trad. I'll clown on xbow shooters all day in good fun, but I'm not going to advocate that they shouldn't get the same season we do, just like I hope the trads don't do that to me.
txbowman12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 03:36 PM   #67
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Brown Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
All I want to know is when did the state of Texas start using DMUxx???
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...5&postcount=34

I thought they were supposed to get away from regulations by county and move to DMU like other states do but for whatever reason its never happened.

Name:  DMU.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  115.5 KB

Last edited by bossbowman; 03-08-2022 at 03:41 PM.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 03:53 PM   #68
Bullseye07
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Quote:
Property owners are not affected by this law (I don't think!) and should be able to use rifle on their property. The law is for public land hunters.

All this talk is worthless, nothing will change, they will continue to keep it the way it is and if they allow deer hunting it will be Bow only.

Wrong. This proposed change is for all huntable land, public or private.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #69
SC-001
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye07 View Post
Quote:

Wrong. This proposed change is for all huntable land, public or private.

His posts seem to be all over the place, I question what his motives are here.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:20 PM   #70
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

I think for Archery Only to be fair, that they should Be limited to hunt in the few counties out there that are Archery only and Nowhere else. ;-)
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 04:53 PM   #71
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback01 View Post
I'd go for it, same as MAAP.
......i luv that place!!!!
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 05:06 PM   #72
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

Quote:

No this law is for the counties as a whole, regardless of public/private. Private land owners cannot currently kill deer with a rifle in these counties. There is very little public land anyways, and the agencies that administer those lands can and will restrict method of take further than the state of Texas does.

For example, you can shoot hogs in Collin County with a rifle, but you can't shoot hogs in Collin County with a rifle on Lavon COE land.
JustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 05:13 PM   #73
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Also. Just saw this posted by Friends of Hagerman. Hagerman will remain archery only.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:44 PM   #74
Passthrough
Pope & Young

https://www.heralddemocrat.com/story...on/9430597002/
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 07:17 PM   #75
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJ View Post
Also. Just saw this posted by Friends of Hagerman. Hagerman will remain archery only.

JJ, the issue with that proposal, the USFWS has been pressured to follow TPWD regs, IMO- it's only a matter of time B4 firearms will be allowed on the H. Sad times.
Razorback01 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 07:19 PM   #76
bowmedic
Eight Point

Hunt In: Collin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye07 View Post
Actually they already allow rifles for hogs and other animals. They also donít have a restriction on target shooting in those counties where you canít shoot your rifles.

The argument that rifle hunting is a big safety issue doesnít hold any water.

Actually Collin does do some research. Cant shoot on land less than 10 acres, Talked at length to the Sheriff about this. It was passed several years ago. meant for shotgun bird hunters. You have to keep a bullet or projectile on your land or its illegal.
bowmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 08:07 PM   #77
Bullseye07
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmedic View Post
Actually Collin does do some research. Cant shoot on land less than 10 acres, Talked at length to the Sheriff about this. It was passed several years ago. meant for shotgun bird hunters. You have to keep a bullet or projectile on your land or its illegal.

Actually you should read through the whole thread where I said ďhuntableĒ land. Below 10 acres isnít legally huntable with a firearm. And trespass by projectile has been law throughout the entire state for 15+ years. Not new anywhere-including Collin.

Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 08:25 PM   #78
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmedic View Post

It looks like that law only applies to subdivisions. The definition of subdivision is a bunch of legal jumbo jumbo though.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:07 PM   #79
Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: God's green earth

Signed it
Killer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 09:54 PM   #80
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...5&postcount=34

I thought they were supposed to get away from regulations by county and move to DMU like other states do but for whatever reason its never happened.

Attachment 1083108
Thank you, had no idea

So if a property owner ANYWHERE else in the state of Texas enrolls in MLD they can basically not play by the rules everyone else has to play by (gun hunt from Oct to Feb, don't use tags off of license like the rest of us, etc), why can't the properties in these 4 counties not do the same?
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2022, 11:08 PM   #81
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
How are bullets crossing property lines if there is no gun hunting for deer?
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 02:09 PM   #82
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Ttt…..public meeting tonight!!
Old 03-09-2022, 02:23 PM   #83
bullets13
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks for the well thought out and sarcast comment. But you have helped me with food for thought. Self serving is an interesting concept. I hadn't really considered the fact that me not wanting my family or myself shot from a stray bullet to be self serving. But now that you brought it to my attention I will think on this. Thank you sir.

Also, that gate being shot was not done intentionally. If it was, the shooter would have had to use two different rounds and intentionally shot in different areas of the gate while laying or sitting on a county road. The trajectory was too flat to be someone standing or shooting from a car window. I also have posted signs and an address sign on the gates. No holes. Possibly they are too easy to shoot? Maybe it was a 3 foot tall guy that liked the challenge of shooting a small target so he walked up and shot my gate? Or maybe the bullets came from another property. We will never know.
So to be clear, you're claiming that at the same time that you're desperately trying to convince everyone that stray bullets are going to be incredibly dangerous if deer hunting is allowed (an argument that even several of your compatriots have admitted is extremely weak), your gate managed to take 3 stray bullets from two different rounds? And in your "expert" opinion there's no way it could be intentional? Man, that's beyond convenient for your argument, and honestly downright unbelievable. Might be time to change your screen name to Jussie.

Last edited by bullets13; 03-09-2022 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2022, 02:30 PM   #84
bullets13
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
How are bullets crossing property lines if there is no gun hunting for deer?
The real question to me is how a guy who's pushing hard against gun hunting by arguing something that's almost a non-factor somehow pops up with 3 perfect examples of how dangerous it is on his own front gate. I'm not saying that people shouldn't be safe and responsible, and I'm not claiming that stray bullets never happen, but I don't at all believe that this guy is going all-in on using the very weak "stray bullet" argument, and coincidentally happens to have had 3 stray bullets from two different calibers magically just hit his front gate.
Old 03-09-2022, 02:43 PM   #85
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

When y'all go to the meeting tonight remember Biden says deer don't wear kevlar, no one needs weapons that strong.

The 2a is being attacked through hunting. Y'all vote to reduce gun rights
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 04:46 PM   #86
SC-001
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
When y'all go to the meeting tonight remember Biden says deer don't wear kevlar, no one needs weapons that strong.

The 2a is being attacked through hunting. Y'all vote to reduce gun rights
Nothings being reduced by keeping the rules as is, you haven't been able to legally hunt deer in these counties with a firearm since Hitler was around.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:55 AM   #87
Killer
Pope & Young

Default Grayson, Dallas, Collin and Rockwall Counties

Bumping this back up. Public meeting was last night at Grayson Co college.
Make sure you sign this petition if you bowhunt these counties
Old 03-10-2022, 06:57 AM   #88
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:

Are you not able to contact local LEO & game warden if this is happening often & not one time rare situation?
They can probably sort out direction of fire & investigate and make contact with land owner/leasee to address this perhaps
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2022, 07:03 AM   #89
Raider Power
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Marcos

It always makes me chuckle to see grown men get so butt hurt over a deer.
Raider Power is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2022, 08:21 AM   #90
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County
Default Petition Opposing Making DMU21 firearm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Power View Post
It always makes me chuckle to see grown men get so butt hurt over a deer.

When a sitting member on an advisory board is using his position for personal gain and gain for his client itís nothing to chuckle about.
He also happens to be one of the petitioners

Sparkles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2022, 09:15 AM   #91
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Brown Hill McLennan Navarro Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
When a sitting member on an advisory board is using his position for personal gain and gain for his client itís nothing to chuckle about.

Did not know this. Thats wrong.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2022, 01:06 PM   #92
LivinADream
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

Quote:
This didn't get as much attention as it deserves. Most of you arguing against the change would have a fit if they were trying to move this direction, but it would be the exact argument you're making now. Safer, deer would be bigger, numbers would be up etc. Y'all are just mad that the neighbor might kill "your" deer. Nothing more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by db@100 View Post
I don't understand why, just because "you" don't like or do how someone else does something, you think it should be stopped.

How about, too many fish are being caught, ban barbed hooks and side scans.
Too many doves are being killed. Only allow .410 to be used.
I think bass fishing should be listed to 16' aluminum boats, cause that's all I can afford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
Convicted felons definitely shouldn't be hunting with firearms, we can all agree on that, can't we?
Isn't this the law in the whole country? Serious question.

I didn't read the whole thread, but is someone arguing this?

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
LivinADream is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2022, 01:34 PM   #93
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

As long as yíall donít plan to start a petition to stop us road hunters from night hunting in East Texas Iím good. I will refuse to sign that one!
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2022, 04:24 PM   #94
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:

Indeed.

Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2022, 06:05 PM   #95
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Quote:

Iíll be dang. And all this time I thought it was just the ďelitistĒ bowhunters trying to defend their stance. But turns outÖ.some one on the advisory board stands to financially gain if this passes.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:06 PM   #96
Grayson
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graysonhogs View Post
Indeed.

Did you make the meeting?
Old 03-10-2022, 06:06 PM   #97
Grayson
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Did not know this. Thats wrong.
Dang right it is. And they thought we wouldn't catch them.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:17 PM   #98
Killer
Pope & Young

Default Buck killed this year in that bad bow only county!

Archery Only season results
Still don’t get why any bow hunter would have a problem with this?
Only four counties in the state are archery only. Hope we can keep at least four!
Great management tool
Attached Images

Last edited by Killer; 03-10-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:27 PM   #99
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Archery Only season results
Still donít get why some bow hunters have a problem with this?
Only four in the state. Hope we can keep it that way.
So do that in the other 250 counties and see the results.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2022, 08:47 PM   #100
SC-001
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
So do that in the other 250 counties and see the results.
Been there done that, see Fannin co.