Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-08-2022, 11:58 PM   #1
Buckrider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fairfield
Default 2021 F-150 V-6 engine issues?

My nephew tells me that the Ford F-150 pickups with a V-6 are notorious for having horrible problems with the turbo and blowing oil seals and gaskets on the engine itself.
Any truth to any of this?

Sure miss those days of being able to hunt a lease for a nominal cost that didnít create greed and a feeling of despair if you didnít kill something!
Buckrider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 12:06 AM   #2
planomustang
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise/Montague County Line

I run a 2012 F150, with the 3.5L Ecoboost. 186K miles in, and no trouble with seals or gaskets.

The only things I have had to fix are oxygen sensors, a water pump, and a starter.

Been a good engine for me, and I tow heavy trailers.
planomustang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 03:35 AM   #3
Chase4556
Six Point

Don’t know about the 2021s, but my 2019 3.5 ecoboost only has had an issue with the cam phasers. Knock on wood. Ford replaced the cams under warranty. Have not heard of issues with the seals or turbos.
Chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 07:19 AM   #4
db@100
Ten Point

No problems with my 23 MPG, 2018 (non-ecoboost), V6.
db@100 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 07:47 AM   #5
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

I think that was more of the early Eco-boosts.
captainsling is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 08:56 AM   #6
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Not an issue. Long story short, a tiny percentage had an issue, and so it gets blown out of proportion. Just like the electrics on GM don't last because there are a lot of one headlight wonders out there. Or on like on my current car, the motor was "known" to start consuming oil, and need a full replacement. A new motor is currently $20k. Again, this issue happened on a tiny % of cars, but those owners made the most noise.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 09:38 AM   #7
Eastwood
Six Point

2013 f150 3.5 ecoboost here, going strong with just general maintenance. I'm guessing your nephew isn't a Ford guy?
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 09:53 AM   #8
rossn2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Near Comanche, TX

Do a search on the 2.7 engine..they're known to have turbo seal issues blowing blue smoke on startup..
rossn2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 09:56 AM   #9
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

The early 2.7's had an issue where you'd have a little blow by which would result in a puff of blue smoke on start up occasionally.

They also suffered early on from a leaking oil pan. Never a threat to the engine but a residual drip which would cause a mess over time.
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 10:00 AM   #10
OTL91
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas

Guy who calls on the company I work for had his phasers go out three or four times before the truck had 160,000 miles on it.
OTL91 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 10:07 AM   #11
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Nephew by marriage has one of the eco-boost v6's that overheats when you pull anything or have a load in the bed. Been that way since new.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 10:12 AM   #12
SC-001
Eight Point

Anything built post pandemic is suspect, lots of F ups that first year march 2020 to a year ago
SC-001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 11:22 AM   #13
Gary Roberson
Ten Point

No truth to that. I have two and driven three others with no problems. I abuse mine in rugged terrain that the average guy doesn't see.
Adios,
Gary
Gary Roberson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 11:36 AM   #14
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

2020 with zero issues.
Bayouboy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 11:50 AM   #15
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Not an issue. Long story short, a tiny percentage had an issue, and so it gets blown out of proportion. Just like the electrics on GM don't last because there are a lot of one headlight wonders out there. Or on like on my current car, the motor was "known" to start consuming oil, and need a full replacement. A new motor is currently $20k. Again, this issue happened on a tiny % of cars, but those owners made the most noise.
I don't remember the figures, but aren't the vast majority of 2011+ F150s on the road 3.5 ecoboosts? ie you hear about more problems with the ecoboost because there are way more on the road than 3.7s or 5.0s.
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 12:17 PM   #16
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.

146,000 miles on a F-150 2014 EB engine. Not a single issue. Replaced fluids, filters, and 2 batteries. Pushed it harder than I did my previous 2 GMs w/5.3 which were also great.

In a 2019 F-150 with EB now. Needs the cam correction which Ford will handle.

What I hear on the turbos is that some lose the cooling line connection and that causes a quick failure. If you don't change your own fluids, better have trust in who you pay to do it.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 12:45 PM   #17
kingranch
Ten Point

yes the turbo lines that run from the back of the block to the turbo have crap orings and ford has done nothing to fix them...
they leak coolant but its a design flaw that they want so you have to bring it in for a new rubber oring on a fitting that gets glowing hot lol..

i personally have done this fix and it takes monkey hands and fingers to get the parts on and off

had ford used AN fittings there would be zero chance of leak, but then that would mean no service money
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2022, 08:12 PM   #18
Buckrider
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by planomustang View Post
I run a 2012 F150, with the 3.5L Ecoboost. 186K miles in, and no trouble with seals or gaskets.

The only things I have had to fix are oxygen sensors, a water pump, and a starter.

Been a good engine for me, and I tow heavy trailers.

I looked under the hood of my dads new truck just now to confirm what engine it is and itís the same as yours, 3.5 eco boost. Hoping he has the same good luck you have had. There is a recall for aluminum driveshaft for some reason?

Sure miss those days of being able to hunt a lease for a nominal cost that didnít create greed and a feeling of despair if you didnít kill something!
Old 03-09-2022, 08:15 PM   #19
Buckrider
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
2013 f150 3.5 ecoboost here, going strong with just general maintenance. I'm guessing your nephew isn't a Ford guy?

Lol actually has always been all but a Ford guy but for some reason he just bought a 2021 F-150 with the 5.0 engine lol

Old 03-09-2022, 08:23 PM   #20
Buckrider
Ten Point

Thanks very much for all the comments guys. Sounds like for the most part that these are not horribly prone to issues unless you get unlucky.
I do need to search to see if it has the extra towing package to help it run cooler when towing... wonít really tow a whole lot of weight with it and usually just a 20í big Tex trailer and side by side wheeler. Guessing 3500-4000#...

Old 03-09-2022, 08:36 PM   #21
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckrider View Post
I do need to search to see if it has the extra towing package to help it run cooler when towing... wonít really tow a whole lot of weight with it and usually just a 20í big Tex trailer and side by side wheeler. Guessing 3500-4000#...
Could be said for just about any half ton, but mine (3.5) is a lot happier towing at 60-65 than 70+. Lower rpm, fewer downshifts (a lot fewer), and several mpg better. I would venture to guess most overheating issues stem from folks hauling too fast and allowing the trans to gear hunt.
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top