No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else heading out this weekend? Gonna be cold and windy. Should be good conditions to draw some blood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I saw wintry mix on Thurs and was gonna head out. Does the cold weather make them move or bed down?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Getting the itch. My PT job is Friday-Saturday-Sunday, so I may be able to sneak a Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday camping trip. Not sure if I'd hike in a yak in. Need to stretch the legs on my Kota "badlands" 62" longbow.
        Last edited by Wudstix; 01-18-2022, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nocam7 View Post
          I saw wintry mix on Thurs and was gonna head out. Does the cold weather make them move or bed down?

Granger pigs tend to be nocturnal. Cold windy days are the best chance to catch them making mistakes in my experience. We were out on Saturday and saw a bunch of hogs moving around during daylight. Never drew blood but had shot opportunities anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone go out today or planning on going tomorrow?

Comment

I went out yesterday all day. Wind wasn't too bad inside the woods.
              Saw 9 deer, 1 coyote, 1 bobcat and an armadillo. No hogs. Though I found two farrowing beds. I sat over one until dark. Lotta sign though.

How often are they coming back to these beds?

Comment

So I was trying to kill a hog tonight. First time Playing pig sounds. Two does came in to check it out for about 25 min and the yotes on the other side of the river loved it. **** pigs are pretty much nocturnal. I'm finding sign just ain't seeing them yet

Comment

Found a big bed under some of the brush trees at the North end of the open field near Primitive campground. Laid my 60" recurve lengthwise in it. Think they come back during the day, but it almost impossible to get near it without them hearing, smelling or seeing you.

Comment

Hunted Willis Creek today (Sunday). (around the grey marker on the photo). No pork seen, and very little fresh sign. Have to admit it was a poor day to hunt. Planned the hunt with a friend on Monday when the forecast was for overcast all morning today. Alas the weatherman changed his mind and started calling for sunshine after 8am, and he was right. Ground was damp after sprinkling and mist on Saturday which made for quiet walking; which was good as the north winds were not strong enough to cover the sounds of our movement. Odd note, have never seen Willis Creek so clear. Could see 4 feet to the bottom.
                    Last edited by NightStalker; 02-27-2022, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Also saw TONS of deer. At least three dozen. They need to up the draw hunt bag limit.

Comment

I went Sat and Sun morning at gate 5 down to the river and then gate 7 from the boat ramp on the right side where I walked basically all the way to the Steps. i saw 26 deer in total. Only hog I saw was Sat evening in the field right past the rail road tracks. Will try in a couple weekends, maybe head out down to the primitives' camp ground, long 3 mile walk.

Comment

Yes, that is a hike, even longer if you are successful and packing out 30 lbs of pork.

Comment

Need to start getting up there more, only a 3 hour drive to parking. Camping overnight is the only real option. 2-3 guys could work the briar patches and when they bust out maybe one will get a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
                              Also saw TONS of deer. At least three dozen. They need to up the draw hunt bag limit.
                              Na you get 3 deer each if you get drawn. What needs to happen is the people that get drawn actually need to show up hunt and kill some. Or just go back to the old post card hunts. There were plenty of deer killed during those they switched it to the computer and the numbers went down. Got people from out-of state getting drawn and people from hundreds of miles away getting drawn that show up for a hunt or two during the season and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                                Na you get 3 deer each if you get drawn. What needs to happen is the people that get drawn actually need to show up hunt and kill some. Or just go back to the old post card hunts. There were plenty of deer killed during those they switched it to the computer and the numbers went down. Got people from out-of state getting drawn and people from hundreds of miles away getting drawn that show up for a hunt or two during the season and that's it.
                                Exactly. Needs to be a drive time limit or something on that draw.

Comment

Working...
                                X