DIY Sausage Smokehouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Sausage Smokehouse

Guys here's the smoker we use for our sausage makings. My buddy Gene Smith, myself and a group of guys smoke 200+ 1 lb links and 50 lbs of hunters sticks at a time......

The inside dimensions are 5' x 3' x 3'. Four racks for sticks, slotted so we can adjust and offset the hanging sausages. Kind of hard to see, but hardware cloth was put on the open bottom to keep critters out and keep any sausage from hitting the ground if a string slips

Next few pictures are of the outside and inside with the steel R-panels installed.

Next, some pictures of the roof..... It took Gene awhile to decide how to build the roof. It was finally decided to make it like a cap in order to remove easily in case of any redesign. Flashing was used on the inside, and then the rest of the tin was added on top since it worked out very well.

The firebox is a 30 gallon steel drum cut it in half. A piece of 3" exhaust pipe from the auto parts store was obtained . A flange made out of some flat bar and was welded to this pipe. A hole was cut in the drum and smoke stack adapter welded in place. After these pictures were taken, a fire was built inside to burn off all the paint so it would be ready to use.

Firebox is attached with smoke going. A 3" aluminum vent pipe is used to attach the firebox to the smokers and a short piece of 3" flexible aluminum to elbow 90degrees into the smokehouse to disperse smoke in the house from the bottom up. In case of a windy day there is a tin skirt made for placing along the bottom. .

Loading up one of our smokings...ENJOY.

Comment

Sssswwwweeeettttt!!!!

Comment

Pretty slick. I sent this to my Dad. Maybe he'll get industrious. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

That's good stuff there Jason, looks very well thought out!

Comment

Very nicely done!

Comment

That is AWESOME, I think I might have to give it a try now.

Comment

My dad has a similar one, maybe not quite as well constructed and he has done 200-300 lbs at once in such a small area. Works well.
                Now how LONG do you smoke? I've experimented with 2-8 hrs. Seems 3-4 works best for me.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                  My dad has a similar one, maybe not quite as well constructed and he has done 200-300 lbs at once in such a small area. Works well.
                  Now how LONG do you smoke? I've experimented with 2-8 hrs. Seems 3-4 works best for me.

Depends on the humidity as I'm sure you are aware........it can be anywhere from 3- 10 hours. I sat through a 13 hour marathon with Brandon's dad Larry when the weather man was off and we'd all come down to make sausage and it turned out to be a cold humid day in Corpus. I've never played so much pool in my life.

If I remember correctly this last batch posted took 5 hours....
                  Last edited by Smart; 01-31-2008, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Nice design, I have been thinking of building one for myself and I think I'm going to steal some of your ideas. Thanks

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Oh, dad won't "smoke" if the smoke isn't rising !!
                        EVERYTIME I have to hear about the smoke "isn't right", hovering too low, moving sideways yada, yada.

Comment

Just curious what tempature do you smoke them at. And by the way, that is a great loking smoker.

Comment

Smart, you must not have had a hand in building this thing ... I don't recall seeing a single question posted about it!

Comment

That is WAYYYY too fancy....I like it!

Comment

Working...
                              X