Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tribute to my old Harper Lease. Picture heavy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tribute to my old Harper Lease. Picture heavy.

Well for the first time in 20+ years I am without a lease. In that time I have been on 3 leases. The first I left for a better lease lease after being on it for 12 years. The second lease got sold. This last lease has been up for sale for the last several years and once we thought it was gone only to have the deal fall through. I still love the place but I have a cousin wanting to sell 50 acres right here next to my house. My middle daughter and her husband are buying 20 acres of it so I am buying the other 30. With that and my youngest being in college I just cannot justify spending the money on the lease. At 54 years of age I hate to have a payment again but it will give us 100 acres here at the house so I just could not let the deal pass. Here are some of the deer my middle daughter and I have taken off the place in the last 9 years. All 100% low fence bow kills. All aged between 4 1/2 and 9 1/2. I am sure gong to miss the place but I will always have the memories so here is a tip of the hat to my old Harper lease. I will sure miss the place and hunting with my buddies.

Some of my daughters kills.

Now don't go feeling sorry for me as I do still get to hunt several places here in Van Zandt county. Here is my buck from one of our places this year and the one I did not catch up with but hope too next year as I have now found his main bedroom...

Good luck on the new place

Comment

Great deer.. Sounds like an awesome place and I know how you feel. I'm 54 myself( and grey too )and we going on 22 years on my little lease but I feel the end is near.. All good things do end..

Comment

Cool thread. Congrats on the purchase. Look forward to some LDPs.

Comment

looks like a great place. good luck!

Comment

Its tough losing a good lease. Congrats on your new place and the best of luck !

Comment

Good luck on the newly acquired land. Nothing like hunting close to home with family.
              I sure wish some of those giants would walk across my Harper land while I am on stand.
              Great area for sure.

Comment

Hunting your own land has to be a great feeling. I think it's a no brainer on your purchase of your own place. All your other thoughts are ones I would have at our age too. They are spot on.
                A good lease is hard to find and harder to let go of. We have been on our place for 16 years. I wouldn't trade the memories and time shared with family and friends there for anything. I look back on all the time invested and money spent there and then think it could be all gone in a 30 second phone call.

Probably could have had my own small place mostly payed off by now!

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Thanks guys. The only part that really, really hurts is I let this buck walk as I felt he was only 3 1/2. Looking back I would have made the same decision but I would have loved to have had a shot at him next year. I took this picture with my cell phone about 10 feet from the base of my stand.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                    Thanks guys. The only part that really, really hurts is I let this buck walk as I felt he was only 3 1/2. Looking back I would have made the same decision but I would have loved to have had a shot at him next year. I took this picture with my cell phone about 10 feet from the base of my stand.

-john

It’s okay John, I’ll get him for you this coming season lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm in nearly the same boat you are. I'm losing an amazing place in the panhandle, but buying more land here in VZ County. Totally different hunting experience , but VZ has a lot to offer!

Comment

Originally posted by hgiles View Post
                        It’s okay John, I’ll get him for you this coming season lol

I hope you do but I think Mannix is taking my old area.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by Treeshark View Post
                          I'm in nearly the same boat you are. I'm losing an amazing place in the panhandle, but buying more land here in VZ County. Totally different hunting experience , but VZ has a lot to offer!
                          Yes it does. Where you buying land at?

-john

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                            I hope you do but I think Mannix is taking my old area.

-john

Haha yes he is. It’s okay though

Comment

Wow John. That’s not what I expected to hear. I do understand the draw of adding more land at the house.

Comment

Working...
                              X