Devils River trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yak blue View Post
    I’ve done the devils twice. Most recently this past summer Used amistad both times to shuttle.
    My group stayed at Marlene’s (who cares bed n breakfast) and we were allowed to leave our truck and trailer at her BnB for the duration of our float.
    Marlene’s place is something else.
    Multiple beds and bedrooms with pool tables and an outside bar area. We cooked outside on her fire pits. . The evening we returned we swam in her big pila tank/swimming pool and drank cervezas. She cooks you a big breakfast before amistad picks you up at 6am. Highly recommended and amistad likes to pick up/drop off there because it’s not as much of a backtrack for their driver, if I understand right. On the shuttle ride, pick the drivers brain on conditions.
    We did the trip from one tpwd unit to the other over two nights three days the fishing was spectacular. We took our time floating. Work over any hole down stream of a rapid and you’ll find smallies. Wacky worms worked best for us.

So with the flooding in 2018, a lot of things have changed in the river. Our driver explained that indian head Falls was re-channeled and basically is a garage sale, so many ppl would turn over there. The flood dropped rocks or changed the channel for sure between my first and second trip.., anyways it’s rough... I overturned and lost gear there.
    Another thing, be sure to pack wag bags. Also a good idea to have mesh bags for camp trash. Can’t carry plastic bags. No glass. Read the rules. More and more people run the river now and you can tell. I tried to collect as much random trash like floating cigarette butts, beer cans, and monofilament. It’s a special place, hope it stays wild.

I’ve heard of Marlenes and will check it out thanks. We are doing five days and four nights on the river. We are going to take it slow and not be in a rush and fish every hole and rock we find. I’ve been wanting to do this trip for years and I finally said I better just book it or it will never happen.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	EAF91238-22D2-4EC3-8D81-030C49AD31E3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	24611687Well the countdown begins. We head down Friday and hang out at Marlene’s get up eat breakfast and head to the river. Amistad Expeditions will pick us up at 7:00A.M.

Comment

Well it all fit inside with plenty of room to spare.
        Attached Files

Comment

Me Larry Hill I’m sure you recognize the ride.

Comment

This on my bucket list.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              This on my bucket list.
              Yes sir I’ve thought about it for a few years. I finally said just do it or it’s never going to happen.

Comment

My advice is trim up your pack and double up your fishing supplies!!

Ive learned my tendency is to over pack my food and my sleeping stuff (tent, bag, pillow etc) ditch that stuff. Its only 3 days really less if you consider you get good meals on each end...
                Youll drag the yak more than you paddle so make sure its got a comfortable rope. Dont bring too many rods. In most places your gonna have to take em outta the rod holders and lay em in the boat its a pita if u have 2-3.
                Bring a 12" piece of nylon rope for kayak patch repairs.
                Stay inside the river banks at all time, camp only on islands, you dont "have" to maybe, but it keeps the peace better if u do. 1 more thing!! Youll cross a drug sniff dog/checkpoint on your way to bakers.. an idiot with another party on one of our trips had brought a little "enjoyment " for the trip.... dont be that guy, ha!

Comment

Floats on your rods and pack plenty of whiskey. No glass.

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
                    My advice is trim up your pack and double up your fishing supplies!!

Ive learned my tendency is to over pack my food and my sleeping stuff (tent, bag, pillow etc) ditch that stuff. Its only 3 days really less if you consider you get good meals on each end...
                    Youll drag the yak more than you paddle so make sure its got a comfortable rope. Dont bring too many rods. In most places your gonna have to take em outta the rod holders and lay em in the boat its a pita if u have 2-3.
                    Bring a 12" piece of nylon rope for kayak patch repairs.
                    Stay inside the river banks at all time, camp only on islands, you dont "have" to maybe, but it keeps the peace better if u do. 1 more thing!! Youll cross a drug sniff dog/checkpoint on your way to bakers.. an idiot with another party on one of our trips had brought a little "enjoyment " for the trip.... dont be that guy, ha!
                    Thanks for the advice. I was kinda thinking already of checking to see what I could ditch.

Comment

Originally posted by Seatruckn View Post
                      Floats on your rods and pack plenty of whiskey. No glass.
                      I like your advice. I did put some zingzang in a plastic bottle. And I do have some whiskey.

Comment

Also, watch those rod tip. Everyone on my trip minus me broke there tips in the reeds and rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Crookhunter View Post
                          Also, watch those rod tip. Everyone on my trip minus me broke there tips in the reeds and rocks.
                          I would carry some extra rod tips and super glue

Comment

Sounds like an awesome adventure! Good luck and safe travels!

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                              I would carry some extra rod tips and super glue
                              I’ll try to watch out for them I have some tips and glue packed.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                                Sounds like an awesome adventure! Good luck and safe travels!
                                I sure hope it is and bet it will be. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X