Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best low light scope??

Originally posted by El General View Post
    It is true. Why would the size of the middle of the scope matter? It isn't like light is solid and you can only fit so much into a 1" tube.

Quality of glass and coatings effect light transmission, and is probably a bigger factor than anything else. The magnification of the scope is a big factor, so I would try to find one with a low end 2x-3.5x power. Then, I would consider the objective bell diameter.

The light gathering ability of a scope based on magnification and objective bell diameter can be measured by the exit pupil. To calculate exit pupil, divide the objective bell diameter by the magnification.

So, for instance, I have a 2.5-10x44mm scope. The exit pupil at 2.5 power is 17.6mm. The exit pupil at 10 power is 4.4mm.

If the objective bell was 32 mm, the exit pupil would still be 12.8 mm at 2.5x

There is a catch though. The pupil of the normal human eye only opens to somewhere between 5mm and 7mm. So, for the purpose of light transmission, anything over about 8mm exit pupil diameter is wasted.

There are other advantages to a large exit pupil besides light transmission like less eye strain and greater freedom of position of your eye relative to the scope's eyepiece.

So, the only advantage that objective bell diameter really offers in light transmission is at higher magnifications. That same scope with a 56mm objective bell would be 5.6mm at 10 power.

Personally, I would not worry about objective bell diameter too much as I generally don't shoot animals at any magnification greater than 6.

So, you should look for the very best glass you can find with a power on the low end at 2-3.5 and an objective bell diameter of 40mm or larger. Your budget is likely to have more to do with light transmission than any other factor.

This is a very good post and spot on.

Tube diameter haas little to zero impact on light transmission.

To the OP you need to establish what your maximum budget. When someone asks what the best is it leaves it wide open. You need to say what the best I can buy for $X X X X?

Then you can get some meaningful answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Meopta

If you want a nice scope that won't break the bank and still has great features, Meopta's Optika6 3-18x50 will get the job done. I am sold on the glass and low light performance. After 10+ years with another optic's company, Meopta glass and quality is definitely a tier above. Your eyes will most definitely agree.
      Attached Files

Comment

It is true. Why would the size of the middle of the scope matter? It isn't like light is solid and you can only fit so much into a 1" tube.

Quality of glass and coatings effect light transmission, and is probably a bigger factor than anything else. The magnification of the scope is a big factor, so I would try to find one with a low end 2x-3.5x power. Then, I would consider the objective bell diameter.

The light gathering ability of a scope based on magnification and objective bell diameter can be measured by the exit pupil. To calculate exit pupil, divide the objective bell diameter by the magnification.

So, for instance, I have a 2.5-10x44mm scope. The exit pupil at 2.5 power is 17.6mm. The exit pupil at 10 power is 4.4mm.

There is a catch though. The pupil of the normal human eye only opens to somewhere between 5mm and 7mm. So, for the purpose of light transmission, anything over about 8mm exit pupil diameter is wasted.

There are other advantages to a large exit pupil besides light transmission like less eye strain and greater freedom of position of your eye relative to the scope's eyepiece.

So, the only advantage that objective bell diameter really offers in light transmission is at higher magnifications. That same scope with a 56mm objective bell would be 5.6mm at 10 power.

Personally, I would not worry about objective bell diameter too much as I generally don't shoot animals at any magnification greater than 6.

So, you should look for the very best glass you can find with a power on the low end at 2-3.5 and an objective bell diameter of 40mm or larger. Your budget is likely to have more to do with light transmission than any other factor.
        Niiice learn something new everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          This is a very good post and spot on.

Tube diameter haas little to zero impact on light transmission.

To the OP you need to establish what your maximum budget. When someone asks what the best is it leaves it wide open. You need to say what the best I can buy for $X X X X?

Then you can get some meaningful answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This. Plus the fact that different glass can appear differently to different eyes. I.e. my nightforce may be bright and clear in lowlight to me but someone else may think that their Zeiss is better suited for lowlight conditions etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Excellent post

Comment

Schmidt & Bender
              Originally posted by Slickrick View Post
              This
              x3

Comment

I have 4, 4.5x14x50 Leupold's on 270's and 3006's.
                One 4.5x14x40 on my 243.
                And one Ziess HD5 5x25x50 on my Browning Medallion 300 win mag.
                Verry happy with Leupold and Ziess.
                Last edited by day0082; 12-31-2019, 01:51 PM. Reason: wording

Comment

Wow great posts!! My budget is based on what I can gather here from these posts. Then make a Dave Ramsay envelope and start putting in a little bit at a time till it’s full enough to buy.

Comment

Working...
                  X