THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aarongray View Post
    That’s nuts... what blows my mind even more is HE WAS SMOKING A CIGARETTE!! I may take my scent control more serious than others, but you have to know that a deer has an incredible sense of smell.. I wonder if that guy ever got a deer.

I hate to categorize people, but I feel like I can trust the bow hunters and not the shotgun hunters.
    Lol yeah dude I am a little scent cautious myself. There was another time I had a set up in unit 5 and one day a guy drove by and struck up a conversation. I could smell the cigarette smell pouring out of his truck. He was going on and on about hunting with a shotgun out there. He said he had gotten a doe and needed a buck. The way it sounded he jumped her off a bed and it was a split second quick draw fire lucky shot type of deal. He was describing a trail near my set up and about maybe watching it which made me nervous. Later he came walking near my set up and where I had put out corn. He sat on a tree stump 50 yds or so away and lit up a cigarette watching over the trail he was telling me about earlier. Like not in the brush or trying to be hidden at all no camo smoking a cancer stick. I was ****** at the time but its funny now.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
      Lol yeah dude I am a little scent cautious myself. There was another time I had a set up one day a guy drove by and struck up a conversation. I could smell the cigarette smell pouring out of his truck. He was going on and on about hunting with a shotgun out there. He said he had gotten a doe and needed a buck. The way it sounded he jumped her off a bed and it was a split second quick draw fire lucky shot type of deal. He was describing a trail near my set up and about maybe watching it which made me nervous. Later he came walking near my set up and where I had put out corn. He sat on a tree stump 50 yds or so away and lit up a cigarette watching over the trail he was telling me about earlier. Like not in the brush or trying to be hidden at all no camo smoking a cancer stick. I was ****** at the time but its funny now.

Yea I have been contemplating whether or not to shoot a doe. With so much people hunting public land if we all took one doe the population would take a big hit. When I go back home to the hill country I’ll take 3-4 does without a second thought as the area is over populated. The other places I hunt I know I have really good odds at filling tags. I can’t describe why but I love Twin Buttes for its uncertainty. I don’t check cards untill after I hunt so I’m saying “well they stop coming through at 9 so I might as well get down.” I try and stay in my stand for as long as possible. I probably won’t take a doe just so the population stays healthy. My father in law says “ shoot a buck one deer dies, but shoot a doe and three deer die.”

Comment

Zeke you hunting again this evening?

Comment

Got more pictures of shotgun hunters than daytime deer on my cameras. Three guys set up on great funnels hunting two days all day, and we only saw a small doe. Too much pressure. Might give it another try right before the season ends.

Next year I’ll make sure to seal the deal sooner.

Comment

Got more pictures of shotgun hunters than daytime deer on my cameras. Three guys set up on great funnels hunting two days all day, and we only saw a small doe. Too much pressure. Might give it another try right before the season ends.

Same here. I have blinds set up by me now and guys on camera walking around with shotguns and no Hunter orange.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

That's apart of public land. I have been trying the archery only areas and I have been having a couple guys here and there walking through my set ups kicking stuff around as they walk through. all on camera. I not in the easier seen and easy to get to areas either.

Comment

I shot a buck in October during a quick weekend hunt, not the biggest but certainly not a small 4 point because it was in front of me and last year didn’t see a whole lot more. Sure enough, during a 10 day hunt in November, never had another buck show up during daylight hours while I was there or even away on camera. I may just plan a week long hunt next October instead of into November and December.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

So yet again it happens again. A spot is set up stuff coming in actually a decent deer coming in and some goober swings in to jack with the mojo going on. Someone walks through the set up scouts around and then decide to make their own set up not 50 yards away in the open. I understand the Public Land part but dang dude really if I walk up on somebody set up I’m not gonna take it 10 second walk in the other direction within farting distance of them and make a set up myself. It’s kind of funny but kind a not

Comment

Anyone been out lately? Seeing anything?

Comment

Is it too soon to start talking about end of season recaps?

Comment

Does this summarize anyone else’s season or am I just the chosen one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by scottyH13 View Post

Does this summarize anyone else’s season or am I just the chosen one?

I would see a family of 6 or 8 every night on my camera but never that many.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Any of y’all have any luck rattling? I feel like I just scared deer away doing it at TB.

Comment

Any of y’all have any luck rattling? I feel like I just scared deer away doing it at TB.

I had the same luck with any calling. Hunted the last two years and have rattled with no deer reactions. I also had a lot more pressure this year so I’m partly blaming that. Ended up with 5 guys by me in a little section

Comment

Originally posted by scottyH13 View Post
                                I had the same luck with any calling. Hunted the last two years and have rattled with no deer reactions. I also had a lot more pressure this year so I’m partly blaming that. Ended up with 5 guys by me in a little section

I had a little 8 come in and then spook real quick. I saw a buck 200 yards away that I rattled at to see the reaction (not to bring him in) and he spooked too.

Comment

Working...
                                X