Buckshot and deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buckshot and deer

I know hunting deer with buckshot (or with a shotgun in general), isn’t too popular in Texas like it is in the south and Midwest.

Casting slugs and buckshot reloading has been a big hobby of mine for the past 6-8 years or so. It’s now kinda took off to where I’ve got the largest buck and Slug reloading page on Facebook that’s sponsored, started a YouTube channel, and now I’m a contributing author on The Reloading Network.

Anyway, I’ve spent a lot of time developing right pattern buckshot loads at 50 yards. Last night, I was able to connect on a young doe at 56 yards, my longest buckshot kill to date.

This load is stout, as I was waiting on one of the mature bucks to step out. It’s 18 pellets of nickel-plated buckshot sitting on top of a hefty charge of Blue Dot, all crammed in a 3.5” hull. The choke tube I used was from Kick’s IND called the Buck Kicker Full choke. I should note that not all buckshot pattern great with a full choke. I have loads that pattern tighter with a mod choke than full.

14/18 pellets hit. All passed through. She was quartering away and like the bow hunter in me, I aimed for the back rib. Shot should have been a couple inches forward.

Anyway, she didn’t take a step. Hinds, shoulders, and loins where all intact.

Truly, a devastating load.

Wow, you aren't kidding. I would prefer a tighter group/pattern to avoid hitting guts, though.

Comment

I’d say your lead did what you wanted it to do. I’ve killed a few deer with a shotgun. I’ve killed more hogs than deer. It does the job with more efficiently than rifle 50 and in

Comment

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
        Wow, you aren't kidding. I would prefer a tighter group/pattern to avoid hitting guts, though.

Don’t get much tighter than that at almost 60 yards on a young doe. Remember, 14/18 pellets hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

wow thats cool, nice work on that load, definitely got the job done

Comment

Haven't hunted deer with a shotgun since I was a kid, and we hunted with deer dogs.

That looks like it did a heck of a job for that distance.

Comment

Congrats on the doe and all the other accomplishments you have made in the shotgun hunting world Leon

Comment

Devastating. It is always nice to see your hard work payoff.

Comment

That’s cool Leon. I’m surprised the pattern was still that tight at 56 yards. Impressive!

Comment

Ought to do a J-O-B on feral hogs too---I use 12-ga 3" mag #4 buck (41 pellets) and it lays 'em in the dirt/mud just fine too.

Comment

Heck yeah! I have a saying that makes no sense that I tell my dad who I call immediately every time that I kill a pig as soon as he picks up the phone. "00 Buck is 2x as deadly."

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

That is a heck of a pattern for that distance! We used to hunt with buckshot only in Florida, Eglin AFB. I stopped shooting at anything over 40 or so yards because we lost so many. The longest distance I personally ever killed a deer with buckshot was 67 steps/yards, only 3 pellets from #1 buck hit the deer. One in the neck, one in the back and one in the hindquarter.

Comment

Cool stuff. Yea you smoked her!!! Thanks for sharing..
                          A long time ago I killed a big buck in Leon county, when I was 12(1977), with 00 buck shot... Roughly a 80 yard shot and/but only 2 pellets hit him.. One was through the liver and 1 spined him.. I got lucky..

Comment

She gone, nice job

Comment

Killing deer with a shotgun may not be popular. But, my freezer is full of backstrap and sausage from top to bottom. All taken with Remington 20 gauge accutips.

Works great in those oak bottoms and thickets where I hunt.

Good buckshot’n

Comment

Working...
                              X