Changing draw weight from 70lb to 60lbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing draw weight from 70lb to 60lbs

I currently shoot a Bowtexh Insanity CPX. I have had great success and love the bow. No problems shooting Rage Extreme 100 grain heads and get complete pass thru’s on Axis, whitetail and Hogs. I played base ball in high school and College. The old shoulder is starting to ache a bit after I practice. I am thinking about moving from 70lbs to 60lbs draw weight. I know I will have to resight my bow in if I make the change. Any thought on this? How much speed are we looking at loosing making the switch? Also how much will it effect my penetration? I can pull 70lbs straight back and hold it but I think it would be better on the shoulder to tune it down a bit. Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back the limbs out a couple turns on each limb bolt,until you get the desired smooth draw that you will be comfortable with.

Comment

I've been at 60lbs since 2007....no issues with killing Texas animals...... dropped it to 55 a couple of times when I had a shoulder flareup. No issues.

Used to be a "speed guy" and realized speed ain't all that except a number to brag about to your buddies. Basically weenie measuring. I'm currently slinging 280 FPS with a 420 grain arrow.....I don't even notice the speed drop from 308 when shooting my new bow and my deer, pigs and turkey don't care for the results.

Comment

I'm still pretty new to bow hunting. My bow is set at 60lbs and at first it took some effort to pull it back but now I'm finding its getting a lot easier. I was debating at getting it set at 70lbs but from the comments above it shouldn't be necessary on 20-40yard shots on deer and hogs.

Comment

I went from 70 to 50 a few years back....havent regretted at all. Whatever you loose in speed, you will gain in stealth. Your rig will be plenty lethal

Comment

I'm at 60lbs and have no trouble blowing through an Elk so you'll be fine.

Comment

I did the same thing for the same reasons... Other than adjusting my sight pin, I didn't change anything else. Shooting a wheelie bow out of a stand, I always know the exact yardage, and I've learned the trajectory of my bow very well. I typically do not shoot past 30 yards, but I can accurately hit a coke can out beyond 60 yards. Under 30 yards, you won't notice much difference in arra performance, but if you're shooting a light, fast set up now, it will drop off drastically beyond 30 yards. I shoot a heavy arra (600gr), and it is less drastic as it holds it momentum better down range a bit better than a 400-450 gr. arra would. I'm able to shoot SO MUCH MORE comfortably now!! I highly recommend it!!

Comment

Most of my shots are under 30 yards in South Texas. Only time I shoot over 40 yards
                Is when I go after axis deer. I shoot a heavier arrow also. My whole setup is flying about 285fps. Sounds like it shouldn’t make that much difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have been thinking about dropping mine to 60lbs myself for the same reason. I would have to get new arrow though that is whats stopping me from doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tjciranni View Post
                    I have been thinking about dropping mine to 60lbs myself for the same reason. I would have to get new arrow though that is whats stopping me from doing it.
                    Why would you need a new arra?

Comment

I dropped mine 7 years ago after having my shoulder redone. The only difference I noticed is that I was a much better shot because I could hold the bow much longer without shaking and wait for that perfect opportunity. I held for over 3 minutes on a whitetail year before last while he was slightly quartering to. He finally took the half step that opened up his arm pocket and I blew his heart out. He did not even make it out of the pen. No way I could be that steady holding 72 lbs like before. My shoulder is 100 percent now but the bow stayed at 58 lbs.

Comment

The last 2 bows I got were both Elite 60# bows. So much easier to shoot & hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went from 70 lbs on my VXR down to 60 lb mods. Then I changed from an index to a thumb release, Carter Wise Choice. I found it to be a lot easier to draw. Wanted a little more zing so I went to the 65 lb mods and am very comfortable. That release made a difference or unless it’s a mental thing. Idk but I’m very comfortable at 65. 60 lbs is plenty though for sure. Safe hunting.

Comment

Two reconstructed shoulders dropped me from 83 to 70 to 60.
                            I still get passthrough kills on big pigs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Do you know current speed your arrow is shooting right now? Also current arrow weight? What’s your draw length? I would see if you can be around the 62-64lb mark. 60-70 lb bows lose a lot of efficiency when dropped all the way down.

Comment

Working...
                              X