Smoking salmon help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking salmon help?

My wife loves baking salmon in the oven. I thought I would be nice and smoke some on our pellet Grill. Needless to say it came out entirely too dry. I did a dry brine overnight and cooked at about 165° for two hours and finished it off with 10 minutes At 300°. The internal temperature came up to about 155°.

A bunch of YouTube recipes said to get the temperature up to 160° but if I had kept going it would’ve been entirely too dry. She likes hers moist. It tasted fine to me when I ate it on a cracker with cream cheese and jalapeño but it wasn’t meant to be an hors d’oeuvre. Is there a way to smoke the salmon and keep it moist? I am going to Alaska in July and hope to have a lot of salmon when I come back.

It's been a while since I did salmon, I would have to dig up my recipe. I think I smoked mine around 4 hours. I pull mine when it gets flaky, never checked the temp.. Never had a issue with it drying out. I'll see if I can locate my recipe tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
      My wife loves baking salmon in the oven. I thought I would be nice and smoke some on our pellet Grill. Needless to say it came out entirely too dry. I did a dry brine overnight and cooked at about 165° for two hours and finished it off with 10 minutes At 300°. The internal temperature came up to about 155°.

A bunch of YouTube recipes said to get the temperature up to 160° but if I had kept going it would’ve been entirely too dry. She likes hers moist. It tasted fine to me when I ate it on a cracker with cream cheese and jalapeño but it wasn’t meant to be an hors d’oeuvre. Is there a way to smoke the salmon and keep it moist? I am going to Alaska in July and hope to have a lot of salmon when I come back.
      I'd probably just have your outfit smoke it and ship it all back to you

Comment

I think the way you're currently smoking it is better for snacking with cheese and crackers. This is usually a hit when we have people over.

When we are making it for dinner, the pellet grill gets set at a higher temp and we don't usually brine. Think of it more as an oven. Just my .02

Comment

I cook salmon regularly on my gas grill. Put olive oil on filet and seasoning. Cook on indirect low heat. Check every 4 minutes or so. When flesh in thickest part of filet is cooked (check with a fork) take off and enjoy with some clarified butter. To me is easier than cooking in oven and has smoke flavor. Oh, cook skin side down and don't turn filet.
          As for smoking salmon can't help you. I've never tried that.

Comment

Tagged
            Also going to AK in July

Comment

Sounds like she likes cold smoked salmon. You'll need a cold smoke box or set up for that.
              Brine it first , make sure that pellicle forms before you put it on the smoker.
              I like the Hi Mtn brine mixes, they have a few for fish. The honey or brown sugar ones are very good for salmon.
              Traeger has some recipes on their website for pellet smoking salmon:https://www.traegergrills.com/recipe...salmon-gravlax

Comment

Did you know you can eat (real salmon) raw?
                with that in mind, don't aim to cook the salmon. My ex girlfriend was Russian, and they cut salmon and poured Lime Juice, soy sauce and Russian Mustard on it and ate it with vodka and it was awesome,,, Raw...
                Think of it as Seviche, you brine it and smoke it that's good enough, don't cook cook it. Just let it absorb the smoke and it should be good to go.

Comment

The last 30-45 minutes you can wrap and add lemon juice and butter. Helps with keeping it moist.

Comment

I grill mine over medium/high heat for no more than 3 minutes a side. I like a crust on the outside but rare on the inside. I coat fish with olive oil, add some kosher salt, and dust with the HEB seafood spice sold in a plastic container in the spice isle. I do use mesquite chips in a stainless steel box to add some smoke flavor. Serve hot with a good romalaude sauce. Even people who hate salmon love it like this.

Comment

Yeah hot smoking will dry it but it's great. Cold smoking keeps it moist. You can try to bribe it and keep the smoking environment really moist as well using a good size pan of water and having the salmon well salted.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                        Did you know you can eat (real salmon) raw?
                        with that in mind, don't aim to cook the salmon. My ex girlfriend was Russian, and they cut salmon and poured Lime Juice, soy sauce and Russian Mustard on it and ate it with vodka and it was awesome,,, Raw...
                        Think of it as Seviche, you brine it and smoke it that's good enough, don't cook cook it. Just let it absorb the smoke and it should be good to go.
                        Fresh raw salmon is the best way to eat it.

When I smoke mine I set the smoker at about 155 and let it sit in their about 5-6 hours to give it th smoke flavor. I don’t worry about getting the internal temp to a certain number because it just allows is to stay shelf stable longer, and mine doesn’t sit for more than just a couple days before it’s all gone.

Comment

After the dry brine, did you rinse off the excess salt and allow a pellicle to form?

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                            Fresh raw salmon is the best way to eat it.

When I smoke mine I set the smoker at about 155 and let it sit in their about 5-6 hours to give it th smoke flavor. I don’t worry about getting the internal temp to a certain number because it just allows is to stay shelf stable longer, and mine doesn’t sit for more than just a couple days before it’s all gone.
                            Exactly!
                            in my humble opinion, Cold smoke salmon and cook it or not, later.
                            Last edited by ATI; 03-15-2019, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Was it wild (Pacific) or farm raised (Atlantic) salmon? That might make some difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X