No announcement yet.

Who Feeds Medicated Protein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting . L and E tried to get me to feed it twice a year last year and i was set to do it. when i discussed with my biologist he was not happy. He also said it was illegal unless it was pen raised farm deer. He stated was not good for natural immunity of the herd. I am on MLD 3 and followed his advice. I am sure in mexico it doesn't matter at all but wonder if it is really legit for native deer in south texas. seems odd ....

Comment

Originally posted by stickbow View Post
      interesting . L and E tried to get me to feed it twice a year last year and i was set to do it. when i discussed with my biologist he was not happy. He also said it was illegal unless it was pen raised farm deer. He stated was not good for natural immunity of the herd. I am on MLD 3 and followed his advice. I am sure in mexico it doesn't matter at all but wonder if it is really legit for native deer in south texas. seems odd ....
      Gotcha. We have a very well know biologist that actually suggested we feed it 3 times a year instead of 2. We stuck with 2 for price reasons.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
        Gotcha. We have a very well know biologist that actually suggested we feed it 3 times a year instead of 2. We stuck with 2 for price reasons.

We feed it twice a year dosed in our protein south of the border as well. Deer have all been in great shape and we haven’t noticed any significant parasites on them at all. We feel anything we can do to help the health of our herd will allow them to better express their genetic poetential, buck or doe.

Comment

Interesting thread and good info. This was the second year I fed protein (actually dairy pellets) at my place in OK, and I’ve been wanting to find some feed that has wormer in it. My Sunday school teacher is a vet, and he suggested doing it.
          I’m going to check with L&E and see where I can buy a ton or two.

Comment

That’s what i needed to know thanks Shane!

Comment

We did it last year all we noticed was ... Nothing

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
                That’s what i needed to know thanks Shane!
                You bet bubba!

Comment

Thanks folks. Getting on board with the Llano office..............

Comment

Originally posted by stickbow View Post
                    I have never heard about it been illegal???

Comment

Originally posted by Royal21973 View Post
                      I have never heard about it been illegal???
                      I think what is being referenced as illegal in the U.S is adding CTC { chlortetracycline } to wild deer feed. While it has been fed to practically every cow, pig goat, chicken...since the 1950's grown for human consumption a couple years ago it was made illegal for wild deer feed. To add it to deer feed now it requires a vet prescription .Not a problem in Mexico. It is still legal to add ivermectin to wild deer feed .

Comment

we have put wormer out for years - big difference in body weight -

our bucks are low fence south texas and live weights are well into the 200's up to 250. For us it is money well spent

Comment

We feed two rounds of CTC medicated.
                          Around 6 tons CTC medicated 20%

20% regular afterwords

Cotton seed year round

Corn on the roads. I’d rather see the deer eat something that’s good for them rather than spend money broadcasting 20 corn feeders across the ranch. All our corn goes on the senderos only.

Just what works for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great topic Shane

Comment

Works great. Noticed difference!

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt24/7Hard View Post
                                Great topic Shane

Thank you sir