Ford F-150 Issue (Torque shudder)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford F-150 Issue (Torque shudder)

Truck just started it this week. Thought I was going crazy and running over rumble strips every now and then. Pulled a trailer Thursday and realized I wasn’t going crazy and it was my truck and not the road. It was initially few and far between and in 4-5-6 gears but it got to the point it was happening every 10-20 seconds. Inter webs said add some shudder mix or change trans fluid and should help. Took it to a shop for them to look at it and they said there’s shaving in the fluid and I’m looking at 1500-3000$ depending on how bad the tranny looks..... Anyone experienced this? If so any cheaper alternatives to help me get by another couple months?

Thanks

I assume it’s out of warranty??

Sounds like a new transmission and a trade in to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      I assume it’s out of warranty??

Sounds like a new transmission and a trade in to me.

10k out of warranty

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
        10k out of warranty

I’d be calling ford.

Comment

Very common problem. It will need a torque converter and the 3 Teflon seals replaced on the input shift. The pump has to come out to replace the seals. Done a bunch of them.

Comment

Happened to me at 63k on my Sierra 1500 while towing a trailer. Within 5-6 minutes of it starting my torque converter completely failed and threw chunks into my transmission. Lost everything but 1st & 2nd gear. Had to get a new transmission costing almost $5k

Comment

If there is metal in the fluid. The cheap fix is rebuild, replace with new or chance a used trans

Comment

Originally posted by Toolman View Post
                Very common problem. It will need a torque converter and the 3 Teflon seals replaced on the input shift. The pump has to come out to replace the seals. Done a bunch of them.
                Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                If there is metal in the fluid. The cheap fix is rebuild, replace with new or chance a used trans
                Would that shudder fluid work as some have said? I’m honestly just wanting to trade it in at this point but obvious can’t throw a code or anything when they check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                  Would that shudder fluid work as some have said? I’m honestly just wanting to trade it in at this point but obvious can’t throw a code or anything when they check it out.
                  You could roll the dice and try. I have never seen a fix in a bottle work. If there's metal in the pan. The friction material is gone.

Comment

Seeing you want to sell the truck. I would go with a used unit from a wrecking yard. Swap it and sell it.

Comment

What year model?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                        You could roll the dice and try. I have never seen a fix in a bottle work. If there's metal in the pan. The friction material is gone.
                        10-4 and thanks

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                        What year model?

Comment

I’ve got a 2016 and had the shudder. Bought shudder fix from auto parts store. The shudder went away almost immediately. Two weeks later with no shudder, I had the fluid and filter exchanged. Not flushed, just drained and replace with new fluid. I had about 215,000 on it at the time, November. No problems at all now.

Comment

Are you getting a check engine light? Mine started doing the shutter thing and a few days later check engine light came on and it was a bad coil over plug.. A dead cylinder makes a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by MidloTurtle View Post
                              Are you getting a check engine light? Mine started doing the shutter thing and a few days later check engine light came on and it was a bad coil over plug.. A dead cylinder makes a big difference.
                              No check engine light yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X