Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #1
A Click
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas Hill Country
Default Quick Rant

I have been looking for a deer lease for a while now. I would have pulled the trigger by now, but so far the best options that I have found don't allow anyone under the age of 18 on the property. How are we supposed to teach the next generation about the outdoors if you don't let them take part? My son is too young to actually hunt with me but he does love to ride in the side by side and see the animals. Part of the reason I do this is to spend time with my family outside of our daily routine. If you are so scared of being sued I know that some of your drunk asses are more of a liability than my son!

Rant Over!
A Click is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 02:19 PM   #2
forced-2-work
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ft Mckavett/Kimble County

I do find it interesting some of the lease rules that I hear about or I see pop even on here. I grew hunting on a lease in llano and there were minimal rules. no trophy or cull requirements. If it got your blood excited when we were younger then we would shoot it. Growing up that way I have now learned to be a more management minded hunter but that is because as a kid I was able to take whatever deer I saw and got me excited. As I got older my priorities with hunting changed and it wasn't so much about killing a deer but more about enjoying nature and seeing them in their own behavior. I feel for you and if I hear of anything around I will let you know.
forced-2-work is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 02:20 PM   #3
Lynn21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Childress, Tx

Tell them you’ll have a legal contract drawn up and signed saying you release them of any liability your son is involved in.
Lynn21 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
breederbuck33
Ten Point

You do realize there are a lot of different people who prefer a lot of different things when it comes to a deer lease right? I understand the struggle, as I'm going through the same process but imagine the single guy who hates kids... That place would be perfect for him!
breederbuck33 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 02:24 PM   #5
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I certainly understand their rules and why they might have them, but I'd never lease a place like that personally.

I like to kill a nice deer every now and then but the older I get, the more I enjoy watching the younger kids do it and try to give a few a new opportunity each year.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #6
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn21 View Post
Tell them you’ll have a legal contract drawn up and signed saying you release them of any liability your son is involved in.

Why? I wouldn’t want my kids at a deer camp where they are not welcome. There are plenty of places to hunt with your kids in Texas. OP, you’re either not looking hard enough or you’re too picky.
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #7
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I grew up on a deer lease that did not allow guest at all at any time. Dad got me my own spot and I paid for it by mowing grass all summer. It wasn’t till later I found out my friend hunted for free. I was ****** lol !
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #8
sasqy
Ten Point

Hunt In: my sasquatch suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Why? I wouldn’t want my kids at a deer camp where they are not welcome. There are plenty of places to hunt with your kids in Texas. OP, you’re either not looking hard enough or you’re too picky.
Yup !
Plenty of opportunities to take youth hunting.
May not be on the king ranch, but they need to learn the real way.
It’s called hunting for a reason.
sasqy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 03:26 PM   #9
BiggieSmalls
Four Point

The last thing I would want is a place where I can't take my kids. There are more memories made during deer season than anywhere else. I'm just saying, but not taking your kids is a disservice to the future generation.

I mean you leave them at home every weekend like that and they end up voting BLUE when they grow up..
BiggieSmalls is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 03:29 PM   #10
friscopaint
Ten Point

Oklahoma sportsmans hunt club might be up your alley. Family membership.
friscopaint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 03:37 PM   #11
CEO
Pope & Young

When I was young our deer lease was the same property as our cattle pasture. The landowner lived right by the gate and didn't allow kids to hunt. I didn't get to go often, but I do remember hiding in the floorboard a few times as we drove by their house.
CEO is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 03:46 PM   #12
A Click
Four Point

There are enough barriers to hunting and this one just seemed to get me riled up. The first time I encountered it I just shrugged and moved on. However, the more I was told that I couldn't bring my kids, the more it got to me.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:47 PM   #13
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

10 yrs ago I would be all on board with you. Now, as my daughter is quickly approaching "adulthood" I can see the positive side of adult only. No worrying about what joke to tell. No worrying about 5 yr old Timmy crying and throwing a fit. No worrying about Timmy's mom dictating what goes on around the fire and who is washing their hands before eating. Just sounds peaceful and like heaven. Teaching your kids and experiences have their place and time. Just not at some leases. If I have grand kids in the future I am sure this will change. Until then, keep your crumb crunchers at a crumb cruncher friendly lease.
Big Lee is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 03:49 PM   #14
friscopaint
Ten Point

kids wouldn't do well around us........might learn alot of new words and hear lots of stories they shouldn't repeat, of course they could fetch beers and make mixed drinks
friscopaint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 04:01 PM   #15
BiggieSmalls
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
The last thing I would want is a place where I can't take my kids. There are more memories made during deer season than anywhere else. I'm just saying, but not taking your kids is a disservice to the future generation.

I mean you leave them at home every weekend like that and they end up voting BLUE when they grow up..
To add to my comment, I probably wouldn't want to hunt with a group that has issues with kids anyways.
Don't get me wrong, my kids are in college but when anther guy brings a youngster, they are welcome to go set with any of us.
It also helps that the property owner encourages it.

My opinion, my thoughts, but it warms my soul when a kid gets a deer and to see them excited for something as simple as a doe as you don't see that from most grown-ups.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:11 PM   #16
Raleigh
Ten Point

I feel your pain. As a father of 5 I needed a place to to take my kids. 30 years ago it was a simple handshake deal with the landowner, then came along lease agreements, then harvest restrictions, guest privilege's, etc... It a business and we must all play by the LO rules. It is very hard to find a good lease that welcomes children and a fair price these days.

I have heard from more than one LO the no kid thing was a liability issue.
Raleigh is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 04:14 PM   #17
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Sounds like a CYA approach by the landowner. If it doesn't work for you then move on and don't sweat it.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 04:25 PM   #18
jer_james
Pope & Young

I have always seen the whole experience as more of a Family thing. Grandpa teaching teaching me to shoot, Dad teaching me to trap hogs. Cousins and us getting into competitions with each other. Never been anything but a Family thing for us.

I understand some want to be alone and escape type experience. Hope you find some good people to join up with! Good luck!
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 04:38 PM   #19
BiggieSmalls
Four Point

One thing that we did implement on our place is that there is a 5 week span where it is just lease members, usually during the rut. We are MLD3 so there is plenty of time for kids and guest to take culls, management and does.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:51 PM   #20
lanceodom
Ten Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County

I am with you, its about family and time in the outdoors. Clearly you haven't found the right place for you yet. One will come along, its funny how things happen. Good luck.
lanceodom is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 06:12 PM   #21
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
kids wouldn't do well around us........might learn alot of new words and hear lots of stories they shouldn't repeat, of course they could fetch beers and make mixed drinks

Been there, done that. Builds character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 06:40 PM   #22
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Can't sue us down here come on!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 06:41 PM   #23
SRK14
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cass, miller

I agree, I wouldn’t take part in a place where children aren’t welcome. I understand men cut up, and I’m no different. But I grew up around it and adults had a decency to halfway watch what they say, and let us kill deer
SRK14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 07:14 PM   #24
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Can't sue us down here come on!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Yeah but don't they rob yall

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 07:40 PM   #25
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post

Only kidnap, but we're usually returned within 24 hours pretty sauced up
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 07:51 PM   #26
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Couldn’t do a “no-kid” lease. A no wife/girlfriend lease sounds awesome though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 07:52 PM   #27
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Can I get their numbers?
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 08:10 PM   #28
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post

Where else are they supposed to learn to cuss and spit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 08:20 PM   #29
Hunting4fun
Eight Point

Wow, these places exist?

Who do they send to get them another beer while they are lounging around the fire?
Hunting4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-21-2021, 09:13 PM   #30
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

I wouldn’t be on any place that don’t allow my boy.
Geezy Rider is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 12:54 AM   #31
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee View Post
10 yrs ago I would be all on board with you. Now, as my daughter is quickly approaching "adulthood" I can see the positive side of adult only. No worrying about what joke to tell. No worrying about 5 yr old Timmy crying and throwing a fit. No worrying about Timmy's mom dictating what goes on around the fire and who is washing their hands before eating. Just sounds peaceful and like heaven. Teaching your kids and experiences have their place and time. Just not at some leases. If I have grand kids in the future I am sure this will change. Until then, keep your crumb crunchers at a crumb cruncher friendly lease.
That is all on the spineless fathers in my opinion my kids are kids, they know that at the dinner table you come with your hands washed and clean. But in the woods or at the lake/beach, you just have to look at it as building your immune system up 😂
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 02:49 AM   #32
Big Lee
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDispatcher View Post
That is all on the spineless fathers in my opinion my kids are kids, they know that at the dinner table you come with your hands washed and clean. But in the woods or at the lake/beach, you just have to look at it as building your immune system up 😂
Amen!!!
Old 01-22-2021, 08:35 AM   #33
A Click
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
One thing that we did implement on our place is that there is a 5 week span where it is just lease members, usually during the rut. We are MLD3 so there is plenty of time for kids and guest to take culls, management and does.
I definitely understand this being a term of the lease agreement. I'm not going to bring them every time I go out, but to be unable to bring them at all is a deal breaker for me.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:22 AM   #34
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith County, Stephens County

The wife and I went to a resort in Jamaica a while back. The only requirement I had when she booked it was to book one with no kids.

I would imagine some folks use the deer lease as a get-away as much as anything and don't really want to put up with someone's kid. All my leases have been kid friendly but I can see why some aren't.
BowSlayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 11:36 AM   #35
-HIC-
Ten Point

Hunt In: Willow City & Junction

When I joined one of my current leases there were no wives/gf allowed except during Thanksgiving week. That is slowly changing as some of the older guys are leaving. I do not care either way. I have no problems with kids coming up but when there are more kids at camp than lease members it does get annoying so I see both sides. One place I am on allows kids the other does not.
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 11:40 AM   #36
Mission408
Six Point

Hunt In: Brownwood

Untill you find that place hit the core land hard. Will teach your kid a lot about hunting that might be taken for granted if they only leased hunt. Just a thought
Mission408 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 11:45 AM   #37
ccbrown50
Six Point

Hunt In: Webb County

Landowners/leases are like women, they all come with their own quirks . Find one you can live with and move on. I've been on both ends of the spectrum so I do know the true value of having a cooperative landowner. They are few and far between but they are out there.
ccbrown50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 11:53 AM   #38
Marco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Texas

They own it their rules. Just like your house your rules. I shouldn't ***** about rules at your house that i dont like. Not my buisness....
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 12:02 PM   #39
neilmc70
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jack,Parker,Tarrant,Young

Some deer leases are no place for woman and children could be one of those places. Better to find out early than opening weekend!
neilmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #40
N.DaWoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Not everyone has same idea about a lease that you do. It is ok. Just move on to one that does, no need to bash their idea of a good lease. Remember they pay money for a lease that they like, which may mean no children, or women. Hang in there, ill bet you'll find one that will fit what your looking for. Good luck and hope you find it sooner rather than later.
N.DaWoods is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-22-2021, 01:49 PM   #41
Big Lee
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post

Only time I was robbed was when I bought a bunch of Tecate's for this local lady that ended up not loving me the way I loved her.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:54 PM   #42
Big Mike M
Eight Point

Hunt In: Duval County west of Freer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I certainly understand their rules and why they might have them, but I'd never lease a place like that personally.

I like to kill a nice deer every now and then but the older I get, the more I enjoy watching the younger kids do it and try to give a few a new opportunity each year.
I agree Smart. It is way more fun watching the kids do the shooting. My niece and nephew both shot their first bucks this year. My daughter shot (2) bucks too. I'm only pulling the trigger if the buck is something special from now on.
Big Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top