Catalytic Converter theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like meth and coke prices are going up in Houston--

Catch them and cut off their hands---and send them back to wherever they came from.

Comment

Friend of mine walked into Guitar Center here in Houston to buy some strings. Walked back out after 3 MINUTES and started the truck and said it was LOUD lol. 3 minutes folks and they got em. Cordless skill saw and their out.

When I deleted my truck I put the def on craigslist. Had a guy call and I met him off 610 to do the deal. The price I got was way more than the new tuner I had to buy plus the block off kit. I was curious who he was selling them to. He said there was a refinery in Jersey who bought them. My 07 ram had 3. Platinum, Pladium, and Rodium. Back in the 90's Rhodium was 10,000$ an ounce.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
        Sounds like meth and coke prices are going up in Houston--

Catch them and cut off their hands---and send them back to wherever they came from.
        Catch, apologize and release. OGG'21

Comment

Remote parking in church parking lots have always been a big target.One hour,and steal all of them they can.

Comment

I know I could sell the one off my V10 excursion for north of a grand. They are targeted a lot. Being a 2000 model, there is only a pre-cat O2 sensor. Mine might get "stolen" soon to pay for a new stainless exhaust.

Comment

Happened to a friends day care van 2 weeks ago.

I know they were targeting 4 runners so time back.

I think I will look into a bracket for the wife’s 4 runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did they get you at your house or were you parked at a business ?

Comment

Originally posted by Codypatt1 View Post
                  Did they get you at your house or were you parked at a business ?
                  I was parked in the parking garage at my office building in Dallas.

Comment

Sold a plug to a Body Shop on the edge of Canada yesterday. The owner went off on a rant about having to put cameras everywhere to try to fight back after being hit numerous times.
                    He did some digging - grabbed the Sheriff and went to the closest junk yard. They found the yard was buying between 10 and 30 cat's a day and reselling them to the recycler a couple of hours later.
                    So the thief has them for a couple of hours - the yard has them for a couple of hours - then the recycler tears them into pieces.......
                    Going to check my truck this morning. Just replaced mine to pass inspection.
                    Going to call my insurance agent also................
                    Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 01-20-2021, 07:54 AM.

Comment

its getting pretty bad around Dallas-1 customer had 16 stolen another customer 5. The customer with 5 stolen had rebar welded around them after we got them replaced well a couple weeks go by and he got hit again, they just cut through the rebar.

Comment

Actually, it's not a new thing, go to the bigger cities like Houston, you will have to be careful where you park your vehicle. They like hitting dealer and cleaning out all of the cats from pickups, they can make a lot of money, quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                          How much $ do these guys make off the platinum from just one converter?
                          Depends on the size of the convertor. Some of the newer, big convertors, on gasoline pickups, I think they get in the $800 to $1200 range, at least as of about 8 years ago. Then high end cars like BMWs and Mercedes cats can start off at $1200. The big cats on the diesel pickups I think start off more like $1800.

I had a buddy who would cut them off of every car and truck he got in and take them to the recycler, quickly. This was about 8 years ago, he has since died. I have had other people, more recently tell me about the diesel truck convertors, those things are worth some money.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                            I know I could sell the one off my V10 excursion for north of a grand. They are targeted a lot. Being a 2000 model, there is only a pre-cat O2 sensor. Mine might get "stolen" soon to pay for a new stainless exhaust.
                            Anything made from 96 up that is gasoline, has both upstream and down stream O2 sensors. Now if it's diesel, I don't know about O2 sensors on those. If it is a gasoline, either 5.4 or 6.8 Excursion, you will have two upstream O2 sensors, one for each bank and then a down stream O2 sensor, after the cats. For the cats on your truck to be worth more than $1000, you probably have a diesel. I don't think the gasoline engine cats on those trucks go for much, but they may have gone up a lot, in the past 8 years. I had some cats in the shop, years ago, my buddy who owned a junk yard kept telling me to take all the cats to the recycler, that they pay a lot of money for them. I took some I had removed from multiple Mustangs. I did not get any more than $40 for the ones I took in, they were small. But they told me at the recycler what they paid the big bucks for. They told me about paying in the $800 to $1200, even upwards of $1800 for some other brand truck cats and then Mercedes and BMW, I think he mentioned the Toyotas also. I was not going out looking for cats, to take to them, definitely not going to steal them. So knowing the ones I had were not worth the drive over there to the recycler, I never went back, I just chunk them. That and I stayed away from exhaust work, have for years now.

I have a V10 F350, the cats on it, are not much bigger than the Mustang cats I took in years ago. I don't remember if there are four or six on my truck, whatever amount there is, I don't think they are worth much.

Comment

Working...
                            X