X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    Congrats on the buck!

Were you on public land?

Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope the best for ya. And will pray about it.

I had an injury back in '07-08. Doc said I had a lotta extra bone growth in there. But MRI did not show any tears. Gave me 7 shots into the joint to help get my range of motion back along with rehab for 3 months. Got most of it back by the end. Had to drop down to 30-40lb bow on the low end and work my way back up. Was at 40lbs by Oct of '08. Put my upper limits at 60lbs now. And still kill big pigs just as well as when I was drawing 70+ at the time of injury. I even had an 80lb draw with 50% let-off back in the '90s. That was a beast of a bow to shoot (for me anyway).
    Thanks! Yes, another public buck

I think there are several reasons why I injured my shoulder
    1) it was very cold that morning and I was very stiff
    2) I had adult drinks the night before and was probably dehydrated
    3) 72+lbs draw weight coupled with no strength training the last 2 months
    4) I was in a very unusual & uncomfortable position in my saddle when I drew back. Had my platform been positioned differently, I would not have been in such a contorted position and not shooting on my weak side(12oclock to 3 o'clock). But, with the buck so close I couldn't make any adjustments to my feet positions or my angles in the saddle without getting busted. Surprisingly that buck didn't bust out even after all the commotion. I turned my GoPro on my head when he came running in, which would have made for insane video footage. After the shot I realized the GoPro was not ON and completely dead. So disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't waste your time going to a walk in clinic unless you are wanting to get some pain meds. If its a torn rotator cuff it doesn't require immediate attention. Now it was a tendon ( have about a week window before tendon starts to dry and get hard) totally different and if it was a tendon you dang sure would know. Ice and DMSO is your best friend right now along with drink of choice.

Comment

Just pick up a crossbow and call it good, [emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As others stated, sounds like a torn something. Rotator cuff likely, but the shoulder is a very complicated joint and the joint with the most range of movement. I had. A torn labrum in my left shoulder when I was 18 diving for a grounder and landed wrong. Head of humerus dislocated and went back in, pinching the labrum and tearing it from 10 to 2. Rehab was about 4 months and it was difficult completing on my non dominant side.

Wisshingg you thee best of luck. My orthopedic surgeon iss Dr Keith Meister out of TMI Sports in Arlington. Also has an office in Frisco. Did my Tommy John and R shoulder debridement as well.

Comment

Dislocation

Comment

I hope its not torn, hope it just popped out and can be put back in. I had a labral tear and had surgery last year. Its not fun, not the most painful thing in the world but the TIME. OMG, the rehab and that effing sling will drive you insane.

And to top it off, I rehabbed it and got it all healed up just for it to tear again. I'm not going to get it fixed again. Only hurts in certain positions and I can deal with that. Not worth it at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                Don't waste your time going to a walk in clinic unless you are wanting to get some pain meds. If its a torn rotator cuff it doesn't require immediate attention. Now it was a tendon ( have about a week window before tendon starts to dry and get hard) totally different and if it was a tendon you dang sure would know. Ice and DMSO is your best friend right now along with drink of choice.
                That's what I figured would be the case at a walk in clinic. Seeing a sports medicine doctor/orthopedic surgeon office tomorrow. I had to ask my girlfriend what DMSO is and she said she has some!

Comment

Originally posted by zins708 View Post
                  Just pick up a crossbow and call it good, [emoji23].

You know me better than that, I'd pick up a spear and learn left handed before that!

Comment

One other thing to add about my surgery.

One of the most painful episodes of this whole thing was when my wife took off the bandage. It was put on with Super Glue and I will admit i screamed, cussed out loud and cried when she did! Mine was fairly large covering the entire top, front side and back part of my shoulder! I may have been a little allergic to the adhesive as I had a rash where it was for a week after it was removed!

Comment

I promise if you had a dislocation you would have never drawn your bow much less rattled the next day. Most likely labrum tear. Two of my boys had the surgery in high school. Both have 4 anchors. Get used to shooting a crossbow for a year. Good luck. MRI will tell the tale.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                        I promise if you had a dislocation you would have never drawn your bow much less rattled the next day. Most likely labrum tear. Two of my boys had the surgery in high school. Both have 4 anchors. Get used to shooting a crossbow for a year. Good luck. MRI will tell the tale.
                        MRI may not tell much, depending on where the tears or problem is. Mine did not show much.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                          You know me better than that, I'd pick up a spear and learn left handed before that!

Don't be so sure. You have a torn rotator cuff and you will be done hunting this year. Surgery is a certainty, so take it easy and don't mess it up more before you get surgery. Shooting left handed is not an option either because you will not be able to hold your bow up with your right hand to draw it. I know this sounds bad but I am speaking from experience. The rehab you do and how motivated you are after the surgery will determine how well you recover and whether will be able to regain 90% of your strength back
                          Good luck

Comment

Sorry to hear. This is why I always stretch my upper body once I get in the stand. Stretch, arm circles, sun gods, etc. anything to get the arms, shoulders, back loose.

Comment

Certainly was not a dislocation. Would have been impossible to draw a kid’s bow, much less 72 pounds with a dislocation. Let us know what ortho says.

Comment

Sounds like rotator. I've had both shoulders repaired (torn labrum in both) and it sounds like muscle to me. Definitely go see an ortho doc, get it properly diagnosed. Hopefully it'll just be rest & rehab

Comment

Working...
                                X